KFK is back from the dead

Wow looks like the simpsomaker is a hit :happydance:

What is DH??? I get that it is one’s spouse but stands for what?

Today has been frustrating - been off the computer due to major computer weirdness going on. My hard drive crashed a couple of weeks ago, and its taken me awhile to get things back somewhat the way they were - I did have time to back it up before it went. But today, I tried to add a new user acct and it completely bolluxed up the works :crying:

Had to start over with my outlook express, all my bookmarks, etc… fortunately still had the old back ups but of course lost what I’ve done remaking things and everything new since the new hard drive. :oops:

Knit-wise, I found myself in knitting withdrawal by mid-afternoon so got back to my gauge swatches and found some relief from computer angst. I’ve decide to go to one size smaller needles for the body of the tank, because the thick and thin texture was leaving holes that showed in stockinette.

Still have not read the chapter in SnB2 that details all I need to revise this pattern - but hopefully tomorrow will get to it.

Also I had a huge brainwave today about my garden! Here is the long (ish) story - I planted spinach and beet seeds in a tiny plot that had had a big old juniper in it, ripped out last fall to make way for this years’s veggi patch. I layered home-made compost over it before planting the seeds. Seeds finally sprouted, but they all looked the same! Called the seed company but they couldn’t explain it. Finally the seed company lady called me back and asked if I used compost… :?? Well she said it had happened at her house, that seeds from her compost had not fully decomposed and had sprouted in her garden. So I thought it was spaghetti squash…
Today realized it must be canteloupes! Yay! Much yummier than spaghetti squash. And my DH (!!) said of course, the spahgetti squash seeds were cooked before composting, while the canteloupe seeds were not. I shouldda known that!!

So here is a pic of the little interlopers. There appear to be one solitary beet and one tiny spinach growing in their midst.
aarrgghhh looks like my pic may be too big… will hopefully get it posted pretty soon.

Do these look like canteloupe plants??

DH = Dear Husbad (or darling or darned or delusional :wink: )

Sorry to hear about all the computer problems - it amazes me every day how I used to operate with out a computer and now I can’t go a day without it!

Funny story about your garden - now you’ll know for next year!! I’m trying my hand at container gardening (my first time gardening as an “adult”) and I’m really enjoying it!

I found this picture of canteloupe leaves with some kind of mold… they look the same to me.

you might want to think them out a bit if they are canteloupes!

Give those canteloupes LOTS of room. They spread quite a lot. I’d space them at least 8 feet apart.

EIGHT FEET APART! That means only one plant in that patch, it is only 3 ftx 3 ft!! OMG!!!

(wracking my brain about where to transplant them to…)

I know, I will avoid thinking about it until after breakfast - I have fresh blackberries from the farmer’s market for my oatmeal! :heart:

For my walking friends - I finally found a way to get a decent, reliable pedometer. Here is the site for reviews http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/walking.about.com/cs/measure/tp/pedometer.htm

I have spent at least $100 over the last 6 mos trying to find one that works…that is, that counts accurately. They have been at least 15% off to 100% off :shock: that is, I walk 500 steps and it registers 1000.

So I just ordered the Yamax basic model - will report back when it comes - its supposed to be the gold standard for pedometers used in research :cheering:

Yesterday a friend called and asked if I wanted to be her empathy-buddy and go on empathy walks! Wow! I know her from NVC classes. So we have a date to meet Thursday morning at the park and walk, and take turns listening to each other. That gives us NVC practice but also gives us each a chance to be heard :happydance:

FYI for parents and loved ones with kids who have ADD/ADHD -taking fish oil really helps. It doesnt have to taste fishy either, many brands have capsules that taste like strawberry or lemon, so the caps themselves have no taste, then if you get burps they taste like fruit :slight_smile: Here’s the quote:

The authors came to very positive conclusions: “Results showed … significant improvements in reading, spelling, and behavior for active treatment versus placebo during 3 months of treatment in parallel groups. After a 1-way treatment crossover (placebo to active), similar changes were seen in the placebo crossover group, whereas children continuing with active treatment maintained or improved their progress.”

this is from http://www.imakenews.com/vitalchoiceseafood/e_article000396928.cfm?x=b3B8T9N,b1WDcdgD,w

Note: this works for adults too - I’m a living example!!! :lol:

Ohhhh do let me know how the pedometer works! I need to get out more and would like to have one that works. Mine have also been way off in the past. :rollseyes:

Will do!

:oops: Anybody know a good remedy for vaginal yeast infections?

Do you have insurance? If so, see your doc. The OTC stuff works, but it’s really messy and takes forever (at least it did for me). Of course you could ask the pharmacist at your local drug store; the OTC stuff may have changed since I last used it!

The OTC stuff HAS changed… now you can get this one-dose ovule thing that doesnt get as messy… Monistat One. FANNNTASTIC! And it comes with this anti-itch cream, too.

Good luck with that!! :?

OOH I will check out the ovule thing, thanks! I’m disgusted with my Dr, no help there - I have been through this forever.

Today is a good day though, went for the empathy walk with my friend :slight_smile:

Probably not much time for knitting today, I have 4 new wild rose bushes to plant!! We have been having thunderstorms each afternoon, LOVELY!!!

IF the OTC stuff doesn’t work be sure to see the doctor or a different one if you don’t like the one you have. There are infections that must be treated by prescription meds. The OTC only treats one type.

Yeah, Jan, I know. You won’t believe what I have been through with this, I could write a book!!

May all beings be free from yeast infections!! :pray:

I like your ribber ducky :sunny:

Today I posted my resume on a job-search site for allied health professionals - looking for part-time or telecommuting work doing my dietitian-thing.

Also looked at an article I wrote on fish oil benefits and am thinking of pitching it to a magazine for dietitians that I have written for in the past. Seems I have been away a long time! Easy to sit around the house and knit instead!! Ha!

I’m feeling like sharing some stuff about a health problem that a LOT of women suffer from but isn’t talked about. For about 5 years I suffered from a pain syndrome called VULVODYNIA, which means pain in the privates :shock:

I didn’t have it nearly as bad as a lot of women do. Some people have to go on disability because they can’t work. Still it was enough for me to pull out of a lot of activities and really scale down my life. I think it was a wake-up call that I needed to reduce stress and really improve my health in general. I always took good care of myself (compared to normal, i.e. lousy typical self care common out there) but it wasn’t good enough. I ended up taking a medication that is usually used for depression but really helps for pain, called elavil. I’m happy to say that I am off that med now, but I’m grateful to have had it when I needed it.

You guys have heard me lament about yeast infections - I think that is what caused the vulvodynia in the first place. I have gotten to be a lot more of an expert on them, and on vulodynia, than i ever wanted to be.

So after having a break from them for about half a year, and before that slowly having fewer and less intense ones, I’m pretty sad to be back there, due to the antibiotics. I really NEVER take antibiotics, and the only reason I did in this case was because I was trying to save a tooth that would otherwise have had to be pulled. And I wonder if it might not have been better to just pull it, since after a root canal and a new crown it still doesn’t feel right.

Anyway I do think that it is unreasonable to expect to never have health problems - however I’m determined to always do what I can to have the best health that I can under whatever the circumstances happen to be.

By the way, vulvodynia is a kind of catch-all term for vulvar pain from any cause, usually unknown causes. If you want to learn more about it, the website for the National Vulvodynia Association is www.nva.org

Here is a blurb from their site:
CHRONIC VULVAR PAIN MAY BE A HIGHLY PREVALENT DISORDER
16 percent of women may have suffered during their lifetime, yet only about half seek treatment

BOSTON - In the first comprehensive analysis of its kind, researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) have found the prevalence of a very debilitating and chronic vulvo-vaginal pain disorder in women known as vulvodynia has been significantly underestimated. Women who suffer from the disorder experience chronic burning or sharp knifelike pain that occurs in the absence of infection or vaginal diseases. Often times, the unexplained pain results in an inability to exercise, have intercourse, and in extreme cases can cause women to be bedridden.

Anyway, it says in the absence of infection, but in reality they use this term for anything that doesn’t go away with regular treatment for infection.

So, I’m trying right now to be calm and not worry about this bout turning into full-fledged vulvodynia again.

Well this turned into more than I thought when I started, but hopefully it will give info and not depress anybody.

Virtual hugs,
Laura[/i]

I like to have yogurt as a preventative medicine. I’ve heard that it also helps with the cure, but I don’t know about that. You just need to make sure that the yogurt you buy is an “active culture”.

Yesterday the KnittingHelp CDs I ordered from Amy came!! Yay! :cheering: :cheering:

I can’t wait to mess around with them!

I realize I am an ADVANCED BEGINNER, if that. Boy this baby blanket is turning out to be HARD. I keep thinking I have gotten the hang of it, but strangely keep having trouble with the decorative row. I guess it is the most elementary form of lace, just a scallop with 2 yarn over eyelets in the middle. The pattern is knit 3, knit 2 together, SSK, knit 3, YO, knit 1, YO
repeated on every 4th row. the other 3 rows are garter stitich.

So that doesn’t seem that hard, right?? But I guess it is showing me that my attention wanders a lot and I forget how to count
:oops:

I have used almost 4 balls of yarn and have 4 to go, but it is not very big. In that time I have frogged, re-frogged, frogged again… almost every decorative row I am having to partially do over in mid row, sometimes several times.

So I guess this is what they call knitting meditation! Talk about mindfulness, and the lack of it! :frog:

When I finish this I am going to start something easy and mindless! I still have my other challenging projects in case I get cocky. Last night I kntted myself into a snit with my socks on 2 circs - now the needles are all messed up and I will have to sort them out. I don’t even know what I did, but it looks like a slinky with yarn and 2 little cuffs!

OMG I have to tell you, I have an appt with a nurse practitioner named Nitza Glit! I’m dying to know if she knits!!!

Also very much mourning our late lamented LYS that closed earlier this month :crying: Before on my last pair of socks, i always knew if I couldn’t figure out my mess I could take them in and get sorted out. I actually didn’t need to but it made me feel a lot better. Now what?? I’m hoping I can find some real-live knitting friends here. Otherwise you may see me posting pictures of my tangled slinky!!!

Happy weekend! We are expecting more thunderstorms - i hope it pours for the new rose bushes!! :waving:

Lace work does take some concentration… but its FUN! breaks up the monotony of the garter st! And, have a great time with Amy’s CDs… a VERY valuable resource.