KFK is back from the dead

Hello! here is the first day of the new blog! First blog for me too. Don’t mind the pretentious name, I thought of calling it Sticky Wicket :slight_smile:

I read Jan’s blog (Self-striping Sheep, I think?) and thought she had a great idea, to list 100 things about herself. My Qi Gong teacher has been talking to us about our -ness as in Laura-ness, Joe-ness, Jane-ness. I thought this is a good way to list out my -ness, that is, what makes me ME for good or bad.
The good news is we can change most of our -ness -es if needed :wink:

Here we go:
I’m 49 years old, will be 50 in Feb '07

I’m married with 3 kids and 3 stepkids, none of whom live at home any more

I live in Flagstaff AZ which is my idea of about the nicest place to live.

I learned to knit from my friend’s mother in about 4th grade. My mom did not knit though and I never really got going on it til I was in my 20’s. My great grandmother was a champion state-fair crocheter though, and my great aunt was an awesome advanced knitter and crocheter too. I remember wanting to learn from her, but she could not slow down her stitches even when she tried to show me.

My first project as a grown-up was a baby sack with hood. I knitted a big afghan with cables as my second adult project. I started when I was pregnant with my first child, and it took me a couple of years to finish it. I think that was such a challenge that I did not resume knitting until last year!

Oops I’m noticing this is not a list! Oh well!

Since June of last year I’ve knitted 4 scarves, 4 hats, 1 topdown raglan pullover sweater, 2 socks on 2 circs, and that’s all I can think of at the moment.

I’m currently working on another pair of socks on 2 circs, a baby blanket and a tank-top made of banana silk.

I sometimes think that last year, maybe I went to a Las Vegas hypnotist show, and received a hypnotic suggestion to become fascinated with knitting. Then he must have suggested that I would forget even being at the show! Certainly something did come over me!

I’ve been taking Qi Gong classes since last September and I really love it.

I’m interested in herbs.

I do I Ching readings every day.

I have 1 dog and 3 cats.

I work part-time as a registered dietitian. But that does not seem to help me with my own 20# to lose!

I take classes in non-violent communication (NVC)

I like StumbleUpon, which I found out about on Firefox browser. Actually my husband turned me on to it, and he is even more into it than I am. My stumbleupon name is Hsiaokuo62 also, which comes from hexagram 62 of the I Ching. It’s meaning is Conscientiousness which is a quality I need to cultivate because it is not natural to me!

I will be relying on YOU all more and more, now that my LYS has gone out of business. I used to get help from them on how-to questions, besides buying their cool yarn. Now I guess I will be buying yarn on the net, whenever my stash becomes depleted - maybe in 5 years??? HA! Because I bought so much yarn when they had their close-out sale.

Looking forward to meeting more fellow knitters!
Love, Laura

Welcome, Laura! :happydance:

I love Arizona! I’ve been there several times and we even honeymooned near Phoenix last year!

Interesting story about the progression of your knitting - weird that your Aunt wouldn’t slow down to show you how to knit!! Glad you are back to enjoying it now!

We have NO problems telling you about different yarns - we are yarn enablers here…very much so!!

Great start to your blog, Laura! I’m not a big desert fan, but I did like Flagstaff! It’s beautiful up there! I was going to ask what your nickname was and you answered that. Very cool!

Let me help you out with that and initiate you into the blogs at the same time!!

[size=2](if your blog name gets “mysteriously” changed around here, its a sign of affection! :lol: )[/size]

You will have to tell me more about the I Ching. I know nothing!

Hi Laura!

Jan, I first read what you wrote as "I’m not a big dessert fan… " and I was going to say, “Oh, but I am!!!” :rollseyes:

Sara- its not that she wouldn’t, its that she couldn’t! I think she was in her 80’s at that time… a human knitting machine though. How do you like the silver’s socks tutorial? I was thinking of trying it after this pair is finsihed.

Jan, I don’t think of Flagstaff as desert, since we are at 9,000 ft and covered with forest - HOWEVER our rainfall so far this year should qualify us as desert :crying:

We even had a forest fire within our city limits last week! No one was hurt and no property lost, but the main highway through town (I-40) was closed, as was Route 66.

:rollseyes:

Hi Kirochka - not ignoring you, just trying not to think of dessert! I went to your site, cool cabinets!

Kelly! I love my new blog name!!!

Welcome! :heart: :heart: :heart:

What was it before? :??

Sadly, so am I! :lol:

I know, that’s why I like Flagstaff! Hope the fires stay away!

Welcome to blogland! :waving:

I’ve never been to a desert…desserts, though, I’ve been to lots of those… :wink:

The deserts here aren’t so much sand as a lot of people think… they are more dirt and brush. You can get some interesting sunsets though.

The things sticking up are Saguaros. They are only found in the southwest Arizona desert. This was taken a few years ago on our way home from Tucson.

Oh Jan!!! That shot is gorgeous! Your photography skills STILL amaze me!

Well thank you! :blush:

How big would the clown planters have to be for THOSE cacti? :thinking:

:shock: Scary big!!! :shock:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:waving: wlecome to blogdom… love the name!

I can’t say enough GREAT things about the tutorial. I had NO clue what I was doing but I NEVER once had a question about her instructions - they are so clear, percise and detailed. I even learned how to do the kitchener stitch which was previously impossible.

My only complaint: I wish I knew how to count! :rollseyes:

It is a great way to learn how to do socks!

Wow I will definitely try it then for my next pair of socks. I’ve only ever done the 2 socks on 2 circs, not the old-fashioned way on dpns. I bought some size 1 and 2 dpns when my LYS went out of business last week.

Thanks for posting about that. Hey, how do we put signatures at the bottom of our posts? I’m guessing there is a way to create what you want to have at the bottom then its automatically there each time. Enlighten me please!
:thinking: