help with a Rowan Pattern

Hi, I’m working with a Rowan pattern for a sweater with raglan sleeves and the following directions:
Next Row (RS): K2, K2tog, K to last 4 sts, sl 1, K1, psso, K2
Next Row: (P2, P2tog tbl), P to last 4 sts, P2tog, P2j
Working all raglan armhole decreases as set by last 2 rows, dec 1 st at each eand of 3rd [next] and foll 2 rows, the on foll 21 alt rows.

I’m unclear on in which rows to decrease. the 3rd next and foll and then another foll has me completely confused. All help appreciated!

Hello
By 3rd (next) it means the next row. To me it looks like they are referring to this as the 3rd row by referring back to the 2 previous rows as though they are rows 1 and 2.
Next row 1
Next row 2
These two rows set how to decrease as they are instructions for right side and wrong side decreases.
Next row 3 dec as row 1 rs
Following 2 is rows 4 and 5, so:
Row 4 dec as row 2 ws
Row 5 dec as row 1 rs

Then in following 21 alternate rows
Row 6 ws
Row 7 this is the first alternate row. Dec as row 1 rs
Row 8 ws
Row 9 this is the second alternate row. Dec as row 1 rs
Row 10
Row 11 this is third alternate row.
You keep going with decreases on alternate rows until you have completed 21 alternate rows.

You might prefer to count rows in a different way, for example where I put row 7, if you want you can call this 1 again as its the first alternate row decrease. In this case next row is wrong side and not counted and the row after is the second alternate row and second decrease out of the 21 needed. Whatever you find easiest.

Hope this helps.

so just to make sure that got it…
I decrease in rows, 1,2,3,4,5 and then again in row 7 and from there on for 21 rows, I only decrease on the right side?

1 Like

That is my interpretation, yes. The first 5 rows have decreases. After that only decrease on the RS rows.

1 Like

That’s amazing. Thank you tons for your help!!

1 Like