Whatcha' Knitting? October, 2022

We’re right into a change of seasons now, no doubt about it. For some of us it’s the beginning of sweater weather and time to break out all those sweaters plus hats, scarves, mittens and warm socks.

What are your plans for the next few weeks and what’s on your needles or hooks?KHAutumn-Leaves-StitchandUnwind crop

7 Likes

Nice leaves, I kinda need a pattern for those :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve found similar leaves on Ravelry if you search “autumn leaves knit.” Googling works too.

1 Like

I finished the first unicorn - excuse my dog in the background!

7 Likes

That is one happy unicorn! Beautifully shaped.
I love your dog alertly photo-bombing.

2 Likes

Finally have a rhythm for the Yarnspirations pattern for a poncho. Had to email the company since I knew there was a mistake. It took them some time to admit that the 4th row in the repeat pattern was incorrect. This caused so much anxiety and now I’m finally on track. :yarn::heavy_check_mark:

4 Likes

Lovely unicorn. Your dog has a matching tail!

1 Like

I have this top on the needles but have challenged myself to make it in the round rather than flat. I’ll make it longer and plan to add an applied border to the bottom where I used a provisional crotchet cast on.

My “problem” sweater has been put aside yet again.
I finished the sleeves and tried out about 20 different little colour details in duplicate stitch, the worst being the one my son said, “if it’s supposed to look like a p---- and t-------- then you’ve got it spot on!” I pulled out those stitches and tried again!
Then I set about altering the problem length of the body.
After lots of maths and swatches I added a second picot edge and designed a rib pattern to extend the length. On its own it looks nice enough, but on me it looks hideous. The picot frill sits at a particularly unflattering position on my body. Really I need to cut the entire bottom off, remove the picot entirely (which looks so pretty!) and reknit the entire bottom section in either stockinette or rib.
Sigh.
Every time I try it on it is so comfortable and warm I don’t want to take it off. This is the only thing preventing me from binning the entire sweater… I have a dream that one day it will be warm AND look nice.
Overly optimistic.

2 Likes

Just finished a pair of socks with self-striping/patterning Kroy sock yarn in slate jacquard colorway. It was difficult to find the same spot in the yarn to start the 2nd sock. My plan was to knit until I figured it out then frog it, but I decided against frogging when I figured out the yarn was wound the opposite direction and I was just too lazy to undo it. Also, there were three knots in that skein and one in the first, so I was already frustrated with it. But I like the socks anyway!

I have cast on my red & white striped socks for Christmas.

I’m working on crocheted snowmen ornaments for my annual ornament for my 7 grandkids. https://hookedonpatterns.com/crochet-blog/free-crochet-snowman-baubles

I’m having trouble with thumb joint pain. I sure don’t want to give up my knitting & crocheting. I’d appreciate any advice on that! I didn’t knit at all yesterday and am taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

2 Likes

She does, I hadn’t noticed! I’m working on a more Halloween themed unicorn now. I had some nice variegated and glitter yarn that I thought would work well.

1 Like

Would love to see a picture of your socks. I am working on a throw for Xmas gift. Takes 4 balls of yarn. A row or two away from the end of first one. Struggling to see the pattern in the yarn. Really don’t have a lot of extra yarn. Think it will take all 4, so can’t afford to discard any. Not sure it will be noticeable. It’s not a distinct repeat of colors that I can see. I’m using premier puzzle yarn tangram colorway. I really feel I am spending way too much time pondering this.

3 Likes

Hope you can post a pic of the socks.

Thumb pain. What helps me is to totally stop knitting until the pain has gone. It’s hard to stop because it’s SO addictive but in my experience it’s the only way.
I make a mental note of what caused the pain, for me I have identified
a type of yarn (dish cloth cotton, its pretty stiff)
working with a needle that is smaller than I am used to or larger than i am used to
working a new pattern repeat

I’m OK with a small amount of knitting with the “wrong size” needle but a full project can be the cause of significant pain so I am avoiding patterns outside of the comfortable size or keeping 2 projects so I can switch.

Try to resist until the pain has gone, I hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

My socks were drying. They were probably dry but I didn’t want to go get them and planned to add a picture later.

I have t used the puzzle yarn. Is it thick like blanket yarn or is there just a lot on each skein? You’re probably overthinking it—I do that a lot!

4 Likes

Beautiful socks. The puzzle yarn is not like blanket yarn. Listed as bulky weight but it seems more of a 4 than a 5. There are 328 yds per skein. I think I will finish this yarn ball and see where it ends and then see which one I use next. I pulled the center on the first skein, so I think I’m locked into doing the same with remaining skeins. Though not really sure.

Thank you! I attached a picture to a previous response but here it is again!

image0.jpeg

Beth

4 Likes

They’re great! No need to have the yarn exactly matching on these I don’t think.

Thanks! I’m glad I went ahead instead of frogging. It’s not much different and the main stripe lines up pretty well.

Beth

Fraternal twin socks and they look fabulous!

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

I do overthink things. I was so apprehensive about where to start the next ball of yarn that I subconsciously delayed having to get to that decision. But after looking multiple days I changed to new skein shortly before the end (maybe by only several rows) of the old skein. The new skein was at the same point in color and then moved on to a new color that looks so purposeful. Like I said earlier it is not a blatant succession of changes in color so as long as it didn’t change abruptly it seems to be just fine. So now I’m cruising again.

2 Likes