Update: Pictures!

Last year, on KH, we made stocking for the troops, and I just loved the idea. We had locals here in town that donated candy, baggies, stickers, time, stockings, and signatures (they signed 850 cards for us)…We then had the children decorate the envelopes and other cards…we stuffed the stockings we made and placed them in baggies with the cards…then after talking to Becky we also went ahead and divided up the candy placed it in a baggie with a card…this way all she would have to do was stick in a stocking for the troops. We then boxed up all those items and sent them to Becky.

I know life gets in the way and we all get in a rush but that was all I heard from her. This year I would like to continue the stocking idea but felt I wanted to do something for Coshocton, OH. It has been hit very hard by the economy with many losing jobs. Last Christmas we had more children in need than in the past few years and knew this year would be even more children.

We have been in contact with the Salvation Army here in Coshocton who does a Christmas Castle for the kids. They get to go into a local store and pick out a winter coat or shoes…no toys or candy.

When we ran the idea of what KH and Coshocton had done last year for the troops by them, they got all excited. We heard a lot of “God bless you all” and “Thank you, this our answer”…

We asked them could they give us a rough number of how many children would need a stocking with a card (thinking maybe 500)…we were stunned when they said 1,000 and each day it’s growing.

The local knitters here were going to be knitting the stockings, however this is beyond us, they knew about KH from last year…and asked would any help us? I told them I’m sure they would.

So today I’m here to ask you all for a little help on the knitting and crocheting of the stockings.

We are going to start running ads now(was going to be Sept) for donations from here, to handle the cards/baggies/stickers/etc.

The stockings won’t be due till sometime around Oct/November so we can get them stuffed, put in a baggies, and make sure they have a card with them. We will be asking the local schools in Aug if they care to help with the decorating of the cards.

We were hoping to make the stockings a little bigger than last year, not too much…but we found it hard to keep the candy in that size.

I’m working on a bigger pattern now and will post that as soon as it is ready…if any of you would like to start knitting on stockings that would be awesome!

Thank you! :hug:

[B]ETA:[/B] A link to Jan’s pattern is in post #2…a written out pattern is in post #11.

You can also find the pattern in post #11 here on my blog.

ETA 2: When you are ready to send your stocking (s) on please pm me for my addy :yay:

ETA 3: We now have a group on Ravelry

You mean the little Christmas Stockings right? Something like this? Same size?
http://members.cox.net/janlewis1/Copy%20of%20Seamless%20Mini%20Christmas%20Stocking.pdf

If that’s what you need I can certainly start working on some!

:hug:Thank you!

:thumbsup:That’s it…but this year we are hoping to make them about 6" in length…that way they will hold the candy in them a bit better…

:thumbsup: Got it!

I’d like to help out…Will you post the pattern on this thread? Or start a new one?

I can make some stockings this summer when I am out on break. It would be wonderful to have some kind of pattern posted on this Thread.

Many thanks for your thoughtfulness.

:hug:Thanks you guys!

I’ll post the pattern here in this thread :happydance:

Does it have to be a specific one or can I use mine?

Hi guys. This post caught my attention because I also helped knit up some of those stockings last fall.

Why couldn’t we take Jan’s pattern and just make them taller? Do they also need to be wider?

You can use any stocking pattern that you have handy…I’m just also working on one for the local knitters. I just need them to be 6" tall

I can’t remeber how wide they were last year but mine is close to 3" wide that I made up last night… we only have 999 left :yay:

Thanks everyone! :hug:

Here is the pattern I wrote up for our local knitters it is written for 2circs or Magic Loop. I also typed another one for DPNs but will only post that one if someone needs me to…they are pretty easy to divide up among the needles esp if you have done stockings/socks before :thumbsup:

Let me know if you catch any mistakes :hug:

Children’s Stocking Operation
By Dustina Cameron

Pattern for Magic Loop or 2circs

Materials: Worsted Weight Yarn
Needle: Size 5 circ
Stitch marker
Scrap yarn (mittens)
Gauge: It doesn’t really matter depends on the size you want

MC: Main Color
CC: Contrast Color
If you are making a solid stocking/mitten just ignore my MC and CC : )

With your CC yarn CO 26sts and divide over your 2 needles and join
K1,P1 for 4 rounds (1/2 inch)break yarn and switch to MC
St st for 18 Rounds (3” total from start of cuff)

Break yarn and switch to CC
Heel Flap (worked over 13sts on first needle)
Knit 1 Row
Row 1: Sl1, Purl 12sts
Row 2: Sl1, Knit 12sts
Repeat the last 2 rows for a total of 6 times

Heel flap
Sl1, P7, P2tog, P1
Sl1, K4, SSK, K1
Sl1, P5, P2tog, P1
Sl1, K6, SSK, K1 (7sts remain) break yarn and switch to MC

Gusset
With same needle holding your 9 heel sts go down the side and pick up 5 sts and one in the corner (total of 6sts)

Knit across the 13 instep sts on the 2nd needle

Pull that needle out like you would to knit across the 1rst needle but first pick up the corner st and going up the side. Knit 5 of the heel sts and place your maker, this marks the start of your rounds.

Your needles should look like this:
Needle 1: Gusset sts, half of heel sts, marker, half of heel sts, gusset sts
Needle 2: Instep sts

Round 1: Knit
Rnd 2: From beginning of round knit till last 3 sts K2tog, K1
Knit across 13 instep sts on Needle 2
K1, SSK knit to marker
Repeat till you have 13sts on Needle 1 and Needle 2

Work St st for 6 rounds

Break yarn and switch to CC and begin toe decreases
Knit 1 Round

Rnd 1:From beginning of round knit till last 3 sts work K2tog, K1
On 2nd needle work K1, SSK knit till last 2sts work K2tog, K1
Back on 1rst needle work K1, SSK and knit to marker

Rnd 2: Knit

Repeat the last 2 Rounds until you have 5sts left on both needles. Break yarn leaving enough to Kitchener the toe sts together and then weave in your ends.

Crochet a small chain and attach at the top of the sock for a little hanger. (optional)

This pattern is free for charity use, you can not make and sell from this pattern.

:yay:Just wanted to say that we have now have 22 completed (that I know of haven’t had a chance to make it to the LYS to see if others have been dropped off)

Yay! That is terrific news!

You bet you can totally count me in!
The thing I liked about the pattern from last year was that I could do it on straights and seam, then my Mom helped embellish. I know I don’t want to seam again, so could you post the dpn pattern?
My mom had so much fun sitting with me embellishing last year that she offered to take the stockings I finished this year to her 1st grade class and have them all add stuff and have them ready. Me and my mom are getting a bit older (not too old mind you) and it’s nice to have something to sit together with when we have the time to be together. I am happy that the project is being restarted!
ETA: wondering who is collecting them?

The pattern is also on Dustina’s blog, but I copied and pasted below:

Children’s Stocking Operation
By Dustina Cameron

Pattern for DPNs

Materials: Worsted Weight Yarn
Needle: Size 5
Stitch marker
Gauge: It doesn’t really matter depends on the size you want

MC: Main Color
CC: Contrast Color
If you are making a solid stocking/mitten just ignore my MC and CC : )

With your CC yarn CO 26sts and divide over your 3 needles and join
K1,P1 for 4 rounds (1/2 inch)break yarn and switch to MC
St st for 18 Rounds (3” total from start of cuff)

Break yarn and switch to CC
Heel Flap (worked over 13sts)
Knit 1 Row
Row 1: Sl1, Purl 12sts
Row 2: Sl1, Knit 12sts
Repeat the last 2 rows for a total of 6 times

Heel flap
Sl1, P7, P2tog, P1
Sl1, K4, SSK, K1
Sl1, P5, P2tog, P1
Sl1, K6, SSK, K1 (7sts remain) break yarn and switch to MC

Gusset
With same needle holding your 9 heel sts go down the side and pick up 5 sts and one in the corner (total of 6sts)

Knit across the 13 instep sts on the 2nd needle

Using 3rd DPN pick up the other 6 gusset sts and work across 5 of the heel sts

Your needles should look like this:
Needle 1: Half of heel sts and gusset sts
Needle 2: Instep sts
Needle 3: Gusset sts and other half of heel sts

Round 1: Knit
Rnd 2: Begin on Needle 1, knit to last 3sts, K2tog, K1
On Needle 2:Knit across 13 instep sts
On Needle 3: K1, SSK, Knit to end of needle

Repeat till you have a total of 26 sts again

Work St st for 6 rounds

Break yarn and switch to CC and begin toe decreases
Knit 1 Round

Rnd 1:On Needle 1: Knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1
On Needle 2: K1, SSK, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1
On Needle 3: K1, SSK and K to end of needle

Rnd 2: Knit

Repeat the last 2 Rounds until you have 10sts left, combine Needle 1 and 3 onto the same needle. Break yarn leaving enough to Kitchener the toe sts together and then weave in your ends.

Crochet a small chain and attach at the top of the sock for a little hanger.

This pattern is free for charity use, you can not make and sell from this pattern.

I did these last year…if I make them 6" tall, how wide would the “legs” need to be and how wide would you like the “foot”? I’m still not that interested in learning dpns or majic loop and this one was from one of you ladies last year that is seamed.

:hug:Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Thank you auburnchick for posting the pattern :heart:

You can send your stockings to me, just PM me for the addy when your ready…we are unpacking from a move right now…but my goal is to get all that unpacked and cleaned up…then we are going to create stocking station here…I will have those plastic bins of stockings/candy/etc and we will come here to pack/stuff them and hopefully have a organized assembly line :thumbsup:

Right now my stocking is at the LYS for display so I will have to double check the width but I think it was about 3" :thumbsup:

Again thank you guys so much it means a lot to me :hug:

Pam, I bet you could figure out a way to modify last years pattern that was seamed to make them bigger for this year. Let me know if you want help trying to figure that out.
otherwise, it might be a useful way for you to learn dpn’s. There is plenty of support here for that!:muah:

I just wanted to add that we are also accepting fabric stockings…some in the area asked if they could sew them, felt it would go faster…so either way you can get them done we are taking them :teehee:

Cute stocking, Dustina!

I’m almost done with my sweater so I’ll be able to knit up some little socks soon! :thumbsup: