Tea cosy help!!

Hi all - new to this forum but it looks exactly the place I need. Hope the below is clear!

Am in the process of making a tea cosy and am a bit stumped by the pattern instructions - see excerpt below. Progress so far is side 1 is complete and is on a stich holder having broken off the yarn as instructed (i.e. is still live). Side 2 is now complete to this point and on the needles - so also live. BUT i’m not sure what is meant in the ‘next row’ after ‘join for top’ - am I working the two sides independently or is it asking me to join the two panels together now? sorry if i’m being dim - the mention of both sides 1 and side 2 in the row instructions has baffled me!

Side 2
Complete second side to the same point as side 1, but do not break off yarn.

Join for top
Next row: P2, purl across sts of side 2 wrapping yarn twice for each st, purl across sts of side 1 wrapping yarn twice for each st, p2.

1 Like

Hey EmilyT. Welcome! From the way that reads, it’s increasing while at the same time getting all the stitches (side 1 and 2) back on the same needle. What is the name of the pattern?

Hi there, sorry for delayed response has trouble getting back in to the forum. Thanks so much for the reply. Its a “pineapple teacosy (free pattern)” on All About You. I dont think i’m supposed to post the full link am I? If it helps this is the rest of that section, which is then topped off by three rows of leaves on the crown…does this shed any more light?

Join for top
Next row: P2, purl across sts of side 2 wrapping yarn twice for each st, purl across sts of side 1 wrapping yarn twice for each st, p2.
Next row: K2, *sl4 sts and drop extra wraps, replace 4 long sts on left needle and (k4tog, p4tog) twice into long sts; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
Next row: Purl, wrapping yarn twice for each st.
Next row (dec): *Sl4 sts and drop extra wraps, replace 4 long sts on left needle and (k4tog, p4tog) once into long sts; rep from * to end (32 sts).
Next row: Purl.
Next row: K2tog to end (16 sts).
Next row: Purl.
Next row (eyelets): K2tog, *(yf, k2tog); rep from * to end (15 sts).
Work 3 rows in st st.
Cast off very loosely.

Welcome to the forum!

That’s one cute tea cozy. In row one you’re adding extra length to the sts by wrapping the yarn twice around the needle.

In the 2nd row, slip the first 4sts to the right needle, letting the extra wraps drop off the needle then slip the sts back to the left needle.
Knit the 4 long sts together (similar to k2tog but with 4 sts) but don’t drop the sts off the left needle. Now purl into the same 4sts and again, don’t drop the sts off the left needle. Now repeat the process again. It’s somewhat similar to this video in which a knit, then purl, then knit is worked in to the same stitch. Of course you’ll be knitting tog, purling tog, knitting tog, purling tog all into the same 4 sts.

Thanks ever so, yeah its cute, I think the stitch itself is called anemone stitch, and is fun to do once I got my head around working the stitches. The bit I now need help with is the Join for too, specifically this bit of the pattern…I can’t figure out if I’m im ending up with both sides on one needle or…???
Join for top

Yes, join sides one and two. If you skip ahead to the end or to Finishing, there may be directions for joining the seam leaving the opening for the spout.

OK, so you also read it as essentially it becoming one long piece as I purl across both sides and join them together!! This does seem to be the consensus now, excellent …and yes, there are instructions towards the end about how to allow for handle and spout.
Thank you, really helpful. :grin:

1 Like