Steeked Sweater 101

Kewl!!! Got me a teacher. But, I have to admit this is one thing you will likely never have to do. I just can’t see myself ever being ready for this…But it’s nice to know you are willing if I get the nerve up. Thanks, Ingy!!!

It’s been finished for a while, but I forgot to take a picture. I figured it belonged at the end of this.

Ingrid, that is absolutely stunning!

Thanks, Jouf!

Gorgeous, Ingrid!! (As always!) :cheering: :cheering:

Mary

Ingrid…I am … speechless :notworthy: :notworthy:
Okay, I’m back!!!..SIMPLY STUNNING!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: How long did that take to knit? I’m really curious. After I finish my long project list I hope to begin sweaters/garments around the 1st of the year and this is my chosen form of knitting…in the round…so thanks a BUNCH for the tutorial :wink: !! Of course, who knows when I will attempt such a masterpiece as this…just beautiful, my friend, beautiful :smiley:

Thanks, Rebecca! It’s hard to say how long it took because it was one of those start/stop projects. I loved the colors of the yarn from another sweater so I started this one, ran out of yarn, which I expected, had to wait for a back order, was busy with other stuff, etc, etc.

I’m sure you’d have no problem with a sweater like this–and you’d get it done a lot faster, too! :wink:

Ingrid, that sweater is AMAZING! So beautiful!

I really like the way the two-color pattern on the sweater decreases inward around the neck steek, then when you cut the steek, magically, the pattern looks “flat” again – so cool!

Ingrid, that sweater is AMAZING! So beautiful!

I really like the way the two-color pattern on the sweater decreases inward around the neck steek, then when you cut the neck steek, magically, the pattern looks “flat” again – so cool!

How did you end up resolving the back-neck issue? It looks great in the finished photo.

:notworthy: (Oops! couldn’t help myself!)

PS - to everyone who hates sewing machines, in “Knitting for Anarchists” Anna Zilboorg shows a steek method that requires only a yarn needle – no sewing machines.

I never had a problem sewing… I think I was born to do it. I made a two piece bathing suit and fit in it perfectly, and I’ve made dresses and such since then. I’ve been sewing for a year :angelgrin: It’s a shame that a lot of you guys can’t sew very well. I’m somewhat addicted. At least, I’m addicted to buying patterns hehe. :happydance:

As for this semi tutorial, it’s great Ingrid! :cheering: I’m just a little confused as to how you’d knit the sleeves around. You said without cutting the steeks, you’d have no arm holes…that I understand because there was one a small hole left for the arm hole at a certain point and then u cast on and kept knitting in the round. But my question is, how did you go back and knit the sleeve down after acutally cutting the stitches? Maybe I’d have to try this to really understand, but I’m quite confused at the moment as to what you do right after cutting the steeks. Like how you finish it. How do you go about picking up stitches that aren’t connected to any other stitches? or do you do that from the good side of the sewing?

eggplant–I left the back neck the way it was. It was only about three rows anyway–maybe a third of an inch. No biggy. And I agree-the neck is the coolest. It looks so pinched until you cut it and then, magic!

humblestumble-After I cut the steeks, I pick up and knit along a row that was on the outside of the steek stitches–the outermost row of the actual sweater. You make sure that the first and last stitch before the steek stitches is one color so it makes a nice line to pick up.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

OHHH ok. That’s what I was thinking after all :slight_smile: I actually had a dream that I was cutting steeks. I was all excited but I think the scissors almost caught on a folded part of the sweater so I freaked out, but nothing happened and I had all this adrenaline - so happy everything was going smoothly. lol. It wasn’t a nightmare, but now I kinda want to try it.

Can you change any flat patterned sweater into a steeked sweater?

You can usually change any drop sleeve sweater to a sweater knit in the round. Sometimes lacy sweaters shouldn’t be because they need the seam in the side to keep them from twisting, from what I’ve read. You just have to make minor adustments in the number of stitches since you don’t need any seam allowance. You also have to take care to make sure the armholes aren’t too big or your sleeve will be voluminous. That happened to me on a sweater and I had to redo almost a whole sleeve with radical decreases. Turned out ok, though.

Ingrid thats a beautiful sweater. Stunning.

You know … I was looking at the photo of the finished body of your sweater (the pics with the socks :smiley: ) and I thought that the body looks like a beautiful skirt … do you know of any patterns for pencil skirts like that to knit … or how does one design one …

CIO

I’m afraid that since I don’t think I could wear a pencil skirt, especially a knit one, I’ve never thought about making one. I suppose you could just measure around and start knitting. Forever. :wink:

Ingrid, what a great tutorial!!! You’re awesome!

Wow, I LOVE :inlove: the finished sweater.

HAHA … thanks Ingrid … I was actually thinking a pencil skirt with one or two of those sheep you taught me how to knit (from my other posts).

heee hee…

kidding.
Coffee time! ITs cold here in Canada this am…

Why thank you, Amy!

Christina–That would be very chic, I must say!! :rofling:

Am I sick for wanting to try this JUST because I want to take scissors to my knitting? :twisted:

Oooooohhh! Thanks for bumping this Cate! I’ve been wondering about steeking. That’s pretty cool! I think I"d be afraid though. :roflhard: