Shaping mens armhole

My pattern says When the piece measures 35-43-44-45-46cm bind off for armhole at each side every other row:3sts 1 time, 2sts 2-1-2-2-3 times and 1st 4-1-3-5-7times=85-103-103-109-109sts. When the piece measures 50-59-61-63-65cm bind off the centre 13sts for the neck. I am making the third size up.Does this mean I inc 6sts on row 1, 4sts on row 3, 4sts on row 5, 2sts on row 7, 2sts on row 9 and 2sts on row 11? The body is too long for my son so I am making it 39cm instead of 44cm. I get confused when it comes to changing size so if I am doing the math right where it says to bind off center for neck I would bind off at 56cm instead of 61cm right? :??

Not quite. You have two things going on at the same time (or nearly so) on both the neck and armhole edge. It helps to break it down into the two parts.

Armhole:

bind off for armhole at each side every other row:3sts 1 time, 2sts 2-1-2-2-3 times and 1st 4-1-3-5-7times=85-103-103-109-109sts.

At the right length(39 cm for you), first BO 3 sts at each armhole edge (that would be the next 2 rows), then BO 2 sts on the next 2 rows, then 1 st (aka a dec) on the next 3 rows. That should give you the 103 sts. You can’t BO at the end of a row, and simply decreasing 3 sts at each edge doesn’t give you the right shaping.

Neck:

50-59-61-63-65cm bind off the centre 13sts for the neck.

Keep measuring while you’re doing the armhole shaping, since you’ve started the armhole shaping 5cm less than the pattern states, at 56 cm BO 13 sts for the neck.

There’s no increasing here at all, btw. You probably meant decrease.

sue

You are right, I meant decrease not increase. :oops: If I am understanding you correctly I am suppose to bind off 3sts at the beg of row 1 and beg of row 2. That I get ,but why do they say bind off for armhole at each side EVERY OTHER ROW? So I would bind off row 1 and 2 but then you said BO on the NEXT 2 rows and 1st on NEXT3 rows. Where does the EVERY OTHER ROW come in? Am I suppose to BO on all these rows? OR decrease? As you can see I am still a little confused.

Yeah, I didn’t catch the every other row part. What can I say? :shrug: Some patterns are written really wonky. :??

Which pattern is this - the garnstudio one, or another?

sue

At the same time when the piece measures 35-43-44-45-46 cm bind off for armhole at each side every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 2-1-2-2-3 times and 1 st 4-1-3-5-7 times = 85-103-103-109-109 sts. When the piece measures 50-59-61-63-65 cm bind off the center 11-13-13-13-13 sts for the neck. Then bind off at each neck edge every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 2-2-2-3-3 times and 1 st 4-5-5-4-4 times = 26-33-33-35-35 sts remain on each shoulder. Bind off when the piece measures 56-66-68-70-72 cm.
This is exactly what it says, I did it on the round so now I have to divide it in half for the armholes plus I took off four stitches in total for the front and back because I do not have to sew the sides but I don’t think that matters when shaping the armholes. I will just put half the stitches on a holder and work with the other half when shaping. I hope this will help you help me.

If I bind off on row 1 and then not until row 3 won’t that make the areholes different?

Every sweater is done that way because you can’t bind off at the end. It makes no difference that there is a row difference.

Can you spell it out for me. :shrug: Row 1 do this, row 2 do this, etc

I think you are telling me to
row 1 BO 3sts at beg of row’
row 2 BO 3 sts at beg of row
row 3 BO 2 sts at beg of row
row 4 BO 2 sts at beg of row
row 5 BO 1 st at beg of row
row 6 BO 1 st at beg of row
row 7 BO 1 st at beg of row

When I BO for rows 3 to 7 am I binding off or decreasing? And if I am decreasing do I K2tog twice on rows 3, and 4? :wall:

I know this should be simple but I am not getting it. Sorry

3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 2-1-2-2-3 times and 1 st 4-1-3-5-7 times = 85-103-103-109-109 sts. When the piece measures 50-59-61-63-65 cm bind off the center 11-13-13-13-13 sts for the neck. Then bind off at each neck edge every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 2-2-2-3-3 times and 1 st 4-5-5-4-4 times = 26-33-33-35-35 sts remain on each shoulder. Bind off when the piece measures 56-66-68-70-72 cm.

row 1 bind off 3 stitches
row 2 bind off 3 stitches
row 3 bind off 2 stitches
row 4 bind off 2 stitches

For the single decreases, you can do them at both ends, but on the knit rows. Work the purl rows straight.

row 5 dec at each end
row 6 purl even

repeat the previous rows 4 times.

:notworthy: Thank you, thank you, that is exactly what I needed! :muah:

I am not ending up with the right amount of stitches. For the armhole I have 123sts and I am to end up with 103sts. So that means I must dec a total of 20sts, 10 each side.

It says Bind off for armhole at each side every other row. 3sts 1 time, 2sts two times and 1st three times.

For the neck it says bind off the centre 13sts. Then bind off at each neck edge every other row: 3sts one time, 2sts two times, and 1 st five times= 33 sts remain on each shoulder. I have 103 sts to start and I have to bind off 13sts for the neck that makes 90sts. I am suppose to have 33sts for each shoulder that makes 66sts total. So 103-13=90 Then 90-66=24. So I am to dec 24sts total, 12sts each side. If I do it the way you just told me I am only dec 15sts. :wall: What am I doing wrong?

I only gave the armhole, decreases–tired, sorry.

When the piece measures 50-59-61-63-65 cm bind off the center 11-13-13-13-13 sts for the neck. Then bind off at each neck edge every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 2-2-2-3-3 times and 1 st 4-5-5-4-4 times = 26-33-33-35-35 sts remain on each shoulder. Bind off when the piece measures 56-66-68-70-72 cm.

bind off the center 13, when you’re at the right length.

work across the right shoulder, bind off 3 at the neck edge of the left and work across

work across left shoulder, bind off 3 at the neck edge of the right and work across

work across right shoulder, bind off 2 of left neck edge

work across left shoulder, bind off 2 at beginning of right

Now you can decrease every other row at neck edge one stitch 5 times

Thanks, I will try again.

Ingrid, you must of guessed I would have another question. :teehee:
When I am decreasing one stitch at each end for the armhole should I SSK on the first stitch and K2tog the last stitch so that they slant in towards the middle?

That sounds good, candy!

sue

Ingrid, you have so much patience! Thank you. :muah:

Ingrid, I know you said to BO the centre stitches then work across. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Am I to work each shoulder separate? I knit across 44sts then I BO13sts at the centre then I knit across the other 44sts. When I turned the work and came back to the centre BO stitches I get confused. If I BO 3 sts at the right side shoulder then try to knit the left side I am closing the gap of the BO 13sts. If I knit the right shoulder then try to skip over the BO 13sts and knit the left shoulder I am again closing the gap. :wall:
Pattern says,: When piece measures 56cm bind off the centre 13sts for the neck. Then bind off at each neck edge every other row 3st 1 time, 2sts 2 times and 1st 5 times=33sts remain on each shoulder.

I understand which rows to dec and how many times I just don’t get how to go across the centre BO13st and not close the gap. :oops:

The pattern should have told you to use another ball of yarn for the other side. Usually you can bind off with the new ball and you’ll have a strand on each side automatically, but if you’ve already bound off the center, just start a new ball on the shoulder that doesn’t have the strand.

You can’t bridge the gap in the center–each side needs to be separate. :hug:

When I join the new ball the do the BO at the neck edge should I knit with the tail? will that make the BO edge too thick?

I just thought of something else. When I shaped the armhole and it said BO 3st one time 2sts two times 1st three times I actually had to do two rows to BO of 3sts one time and had to do four rows to BO 2sts two time etc. So since I am using two balls now for the neck and can do the BO of 3sts one time in ONE row does that mean now I should BO 3sts on row one then row two work straight? Then row three BO 2sts each neck edge then row four work straight etc? OR should i BO every row?

bind off the center 13, when you’re at the right length.

work across the right shoulder, bind off 3 at the neck edge of the left and work across

work across left shoulder, bind off 3 at the neck edge of the right and work across

work across right shoulder, bind off 2 of left neck edge

work across left shoulder, bind off 2 at beginning of right

The above shaping does have you binding off every other row, automatically.

Now you can decrease every other row at neck edge one stitch 5 times, on the same row on each side.

Just start binding off with the new ball. The binding off will secure the yarn. You can anchor the tail if you like–you’ll be picking up stitches around the edge for the collar, anyway.