Shandeh is a Bernat Blogger Now!

I originally titled my thread “What did I do for all those years without knitting?” because after just knitting for 3 years, my yarn stash and knitting needle collection were HUGE! I was just IMMERSED in this craft. I would ask myself over and over…“What did I do with all my time before?” I mean, really…what did I do? I vaguely remember reading lots of books, and playing piano sometimes. I would occasionally sew something or do a little embroidery. But, now I knit ALL THE TIME.

I’m also learning to spin, but as a wise woman once told me, “It’s great that you want to learn to spin, but you’ll probably end up having to choose either knitting or spinning. You won’t have time for both.” And she’s right. I usually have about 8 knitting projects going at once, and spinning takes a LOT of time, patience and work. I just don’t have time for both.

Here’s a list of things about me:

1. I’ve been a redhead my whole life, but now I’m turning blonde…in more ways than one. :rollseyes:
    Here’s a photo of me in the 80’s with a spiral perm:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/45502915/in/set-1808549/
    And here I was in 2003:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/45489979/in/set-1808549/

2. My greatest talent is playing piano and singing. I also play organ.

3. I am a piano teacher. Currently, I have about 15 students, but I used to have over 60. I like my current total much better. :smiley:

4. I am a church organist/pianist. I’ve been doing church music since I was 15 years old - that was 35 years ago! :shock: I used to play for a HUGE church - over 10,000 members.

5. I also direct the handbell choir at my church. I enjoy waving a baton, and teaching people to play beautiful music.

6. I was a secretary for many years, ending my career as an executive assistant about 7 years ago.

7. I make my living now mostly with music. Church Musician, Piano Teacher, Weddings, Funerals, Special Events.

1. In October of 2009, I began working for Bernat yarns as a blogger. Every month, I would knit or crochet a new project, and they would supply the yarn for it. It was so much fun! I have continued blogging for them all these years - and now I represent four Spinrite yarns: Patons, Bernat, Caron, and Lily Sugar’n Cream. You can see my weekly articles here: Yarnspirations Blog
  1. I used to love buying and selling on eBay. My best sell was a lifesize standup of Jeff Gordon (which I received as a gift). I sold it for almost 200 dollars.
    http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=Shandehknits

2. I gave birth to 3 sons during my life. My oldest is 28 and is an awesome computer programmer. My middle son is 26 and is a sexy bartender. My youngest is 19 and is going to college.

3. I love to play video games - I’m such a kid. I enjoy Nancy Drew PC games, Animal Crossing on the Wii and DS, The Sims, Sims 2, and Sims 3, and other mystery/adventure/puzzle games.

4. I’m a plus size girl, so I’m usually on some kind of diet. Right now, I’m using Bodykey stuff that I bought from my son through Amway. (Don’t worry - I won’t try to sell you anything…ha!)

5. I HATE TO EXERCISE!!! But, since I like to play video games, I have the WiiFit Plus. It’s a fun way to exercise and play games at the same time. And it’s an easy way to weigh myself every day on the balance board.

6. Of course, dieting includes food. And I’m always on the lookout for healthy meals…especially on the road between piano lessons. If you have any recommendations for good food at drive-thru restaurants, let me know. I’m getting tired of eating grilled drumsticks at KFC and grilled nuggets at Chick-Fil-A.

7. The farthest I have ever travelled was to Montreal, Canada during my senior year in high school. My other travels were to New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Boston, California, Kentucky, Washington DC, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

8. The last time I went to the beach was over 20 years ago. I burn too easily, and don’t really like showing my chubby body in a swimsuit.

9. My favorite season is Autumn. I love to drive to the mountains to see all the beautiful colors!

1. I was born and raised in the same town where I live now.
  1. I won a scholarship to college, but never finished. I’m such a nitwit! :doh: When I started college, my goal was to be a music missionary, so I studied music and religion. I met my first husband in college, and decided to quit and get married. (BIG MISTAKE!) :evil:

2. My first husband left me a few years after we got married. (I was pregnant with one of our sons at that time). :crying: I was a single mother for 15 years. I was helped numerous times by the churches where I was working as organist. They provided monetary assistance as well as food. I was truly blessed by God and lovely Christian friends during that difficult time.

3. I became a Christian when I was 16 years old. :angelgrin: I was a wild teenager before that.

4. I have been an avid reader for most of my life. I used to spend hours reading Trixie Belden mystery novels when I was a kid. When I was a teenager, I read all of Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. As I got older, I enjoyed reading almost all of Jules Verne’s writings, the “Cat Who” books by Lilian Jackson Braun, and some works by Ray Bradbury and Michael Crichton. :study: Now, I have a Nook, and read CONSTANTLY!! One of my goals is to read all of Agatha Christie’s books. I just love Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple!

5. Most of the time, my house is completely quiet. I already have music playing in my head, because I’m a musician. And I don’t really like to watch TV that often - so I don’t have cable. I do have Netflix, though! If I want to watch something, I just pull out my Nook and watch Netflix on that. If I want more of a theatre experience, I watch Netflix through the Wii on the TV set in the music studio.

6. I learned to knit in August of 2003, by watching online videos (like the ones here on Knitting Help!). I learned to crochet in 2009, by participating in a Bernat Mystery Crochet-Along. Here’s the baby blanket I made to help me learn:

Blanket Complete by Shandeh, on Flickr

7. I’ve made lots of other stuff with knitting needles and crochet hooks and yarn. You can see it here on my Ravelry Page.

Hey Sandy! Welcome to blogland! I enjoyed reading your 74 things about me. I didn’t finish mine either…it’s HARD!

I also like the Sims, but I do like Sims 2. Haven’t played in a while though. My daughter and I also have played many of the Nancy Drew games.

I’ve never read those cat mysteries, but I used to love Trixie Belden, too! My favorite authors are Janet Evanovich, Jan Burke, Robert Crais, and oh a ton of others. :roflhard:

I’m sorry you’re allergic to fuzzy critters! Hopefully someday that hypo-allergenic cat will come!

Welcome! :waving:

I would hate being allergic to animals! I think it is so funny that you sit outside during trips to the in-laws (now I don’t have any myself because my DH’s parents died before I met him, but I know several people who would love that arrangement!! :wink: )

Nice list so far! I especially love the NASCAR tidbits! :wink: I’m a Newman fan myself…

Hiya Sandy! :waving:

You have been through some hard times, but you haven’t let it dim your light - that is wonderful! We’re so glad to see you here.

What a darling family you have, thanks for all the pictures!! Keep 'em coming! :cheering:

I’m a Court TV addict too - I spend my evenings flipping back and forth between A&E, Discovery, and Court TV to catch all the forensics shows.

We’ll look forward to your last 25 things - I started my blog over a month ago and I’m only up to 40! :oops:

I love Trixie Belden, too!! They re-released the first part of the series. :cheering:

I’m impressed with all the work you put into your 74 things! Welcome to the KH blogs!

Hi Sandy!

Nice blog - I enjoyed reading all about you! I just have to ask…Animal Crossing…is it really that great?!? I’m so intrigued, but since it’s kind of a real time game (the town goes on without you being there!!), do find yourself getting completely addicted to the exclusion of everything else??

I don’t want to get addicted to anything that’s going to cut into my knitting time!!

:XX:

Welcome Sandy! I also enjoyed reading your 74 things! I too quit piano lessons when I was younger…and now wish I hadn’t. My sister kept up with hers and has a wonderful talent but never practiced much…oh how we let things slide!

I am one of those who wouldn’t mind if I couldn’t go into my in-laws house! :smiley: I’m also one of those who got two dogs not caring if it would affect my MIL’s allergies. I’m mean! :rollseyes:

Welcome to the Blogs, Sandy!! :waving:

How WONDERFUL to be able to do the thing you LOVE instead of the things you HAVE to do to support yourself!

I’ve always wanted red hair… sigh

I still love to play The Sims on my older computer.

I have Sims 2 installed on our newer computer, but it takes FOREVER to load since it’s such a huge game. The reason I don’t like it is because of the aging. I hate it when my sims die from old age. There are also a lot of things to manage in that game. I just get tired thinking of everything I have to deal with. The original game was a lot easier for me. I guess I’m just a very loyal “The Sims” player. I hated to see the neighborhood change so much.

Did you ever try “The Sims Online”? It was way cool when it first started, but now it’s lost its magic.

Here’s some more for my list about me:

1. To the surprise of most people, I don’t listen to music that much. If I do listen, I prefer instrumental music - jazz, blues, alternative rock, or classical. I hate country music. Sorry to all you country music fans (including one of my sons). The reason I hate country music is because I used to HAVE to listen to it ALL DAY at a doctor’s office where I worked for SEVEN YEARS. I think I’ve met my quota of country music.

2. I’ve been told many times that I would be a very successful country singer. I was once asked by a record company to sing on their label, but I just couldn’t do it. Now, if they were interested in a different kind of music…but, alas! My voice doesn’t work well with the types of music I like. Now, I only sing for weddings or church services.

1. I used to teach voice lessons. But, now my allergies and asthma are keeping me from doing it. I’m VERY allergic to cats. My throat closes up when I’m around them. I’m also allergic to some dogs, and dust mites. Whenever I encounter a cat, they are mysteriously drawn to me and rub against my leg. I will touch their head with one finger and say hello. Then when they walk away, I wipe off the cat hair, and I wash my finger. :grin: I wonder if cats know that I am allergic…and it’s all a big joke to them.
  1. I used to have gerbils, hamsters, and a guinea pig (not all at once). Over time, I developed allergies to each of them. I tried keeping birds (finches) for a while. They were so cute! And they laid little tiny eggs in their nest! After about two months, I couldn’t breathe…they had to go. :sad: Is there any animal in the world that I’m not allergic to?! :crying:

2. I guess I could keep reptiles…but just can’t bring myself to love them. When I get to heaven, I hope I can have lots of furry pets in my house. Surely I won’t be allergic in heaven! :thinking:

3. I have arthritis in my left knee and ankle - it sure does make it difficult to play organ pedals!
    [COLOR=#d11010]http://www.flickr.com/photos/5964692…n/set-1808549/[/COLOR] I have very small hands, so I can’t play some piano or organ music because my fingers won’t stretch far enough. Didn’t God know that I would be a pianist? Why didn’t He give me bigger hands? :scratchinghead:

4. I love Charming Tails figurines.
    [COLOR=#d11010]http://www.flickr.com/photos/5964692…n/set-1808549/[/COLOR]

5. I also love View Master slides!

6. I enjoy collecting vintage glass.

7. I’ve been doing embroidery work since I was a young girl.
    [COLOR=#d11010]http://www.flickr.com/photos/5964692…n/set-1808472/[/COLOR]

8. I’ve also been sewing for just as long.
    [COLOR=#d11010]http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646927@N00/62322725/[/COLOR]

9. I have a craft room in my house!!

Yes, it is quite liberating! My poor husband doesn’t have the same luxury at my parent’s house. He has to endure the visit without a break. Poor guy.

I LOVE The Sims 2, but I cheat. I turn off the motive decay feature so they never need to eat or sleep. There is also a code to turn off the aging, but I love to see my Sims get older and have kids. I also had the first The Sims and all the expansions (and now I have all The Sims 2 expansions :rollseyes: including the one that just came out this week). I kind of miss Superstar and I REALLY miss the pets! My game doesn’t take very long to load since I got a computer with more RAM.
I play Animal Crossing, too! And high five for the redheads! :lol:

Trixie was my hero when I was a girl. And I still enjoy reading one of the books occasionally now. It’s comforting to revisit her loving home. She is so down to earth and goofy - more endearing than perfect Miss Nancy Drew. :rollseyes:

Oh, and I had such a crush on Jim when I was young.

Animal Crossing is a COMPLETE addiction in itself. I have spent many hours living vicariously through my short and stout girl in that little town. It is such an escape!

The coolest thing is seeing the seasons change. When it’s winter here, it’s winter in the game too. Snow, Rain, Autumn Leaves, Spring Flowers, Bugs, Butterflies, WAY COOL. There are surprises during the holidays too. Christmas, Halloween, and St Patrick’s Day are really fun.

I’m letting a little girl at church borrow my game right now so we can start trading memory cards and visiting each others town. Can you believe that I am 42 years old? :lol:

I think I’ve met my double! Did you ever play The Sims Online? Wouldn’t it be wild if we found out that we played together there?

I miss the pets in Sims 2 also. I think that’s one of the main reasons I prefer the original games! I mean…I can’t have pets in real life, so it’s fun to have them on the Sims.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words of welcome. It’s so nice to have such an array of fun friends to talk to about knitting and life in general. I just wish we could meet in person!
:smiley:

No, I never played The Sims Online. I was pretty sure I’d get hooked on it. :oo:
I spent many hours this weekend playing Animal Crossing, trying to pay off my house expansion. :roflhard: It’s funny that I love to fish in that game, since I can’t STAND fishing in real life!

Thanks Kelly. It is definitely a blessing to be able to make a living with music.

The red hair was NO FUN when I was younger. I was constantly teased about it. People asked if Ronald McDonald was my father. It was a drag.

But red hair was WAY COOL in my 20’s and 30’s. Everyone wanted my color.

Now that it is changing to blonde, I am sad about it. I’ve tried to dye it to match my former color…but no luck. I usually end up looking like I really AM Ronald McDonald’s daughter!

A few more things for my list:

1. I drink at least one cup of hot tea every day. There are more bags of tea in my kitchen than I will ever drink in this lifetime. Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Christmas Eve, Christmas Morning, Tazo Teas, Celestial Seasoning Teas, Imported Teas, Stash Teas. The list goes on and on.
  1. I bought an Ashford Traditional spinning wheel in 2005 at a consignment store for $120 dollars, and was surprised to find that I got a bonus box of spinning supplies along with the wheel! (The wheel and supplies were worth about $500 altogether.)

2. I’m learning how to spin, but haven’t given as much time to this craft as I have to knitting. It’s so much easier to grab a knitting project and start knitting than it is to get the wheel out, prepare the roving and spin.

3. I’m weird about some knitting sites. I don’t like the names of knitting projects on www.knitty.com. I also don’t like the way they classify the difficulty levels. (tangy? piquant?) Why don’t they just say Beginner, Easy, Intermediate, or Advanced? Sometimes creative people just make things more difficult.

4. I used to work for a marketing group, so I can see through advertising gimmicks very easily. I’m a very hard sell.

5. I HATE to pay full price for ANYTHING. If I see something I want, I will take note of it, and then look for the best price on the internet when I get home. I usually buy yarn, supplies and knitting books on eBay.

6. Whenever I get an email with a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby, I print out 6 copies of it. Then, I will go to Hobby Lobby every day of the week and buy one item, getting 40% off each time. (Yep - I’m a penny pincher!) I plan on using that method to buy some of those nice rosewood knitting needles!

7. I used to be a MAJOR rebate queen. I would save the proof-of-purchase on every single thing I bought. I kept them in a large plastic trash bag in my closet. Whenever I found a rebate form, I would take it home and pour out the POPs on my bed to see what I could use. It started becoming too much of a hassle, so I ended up tossing out the bag one day to force myself to quit.

8. I still save coupons, but they usually expire before I use them. (I hate when that happens!)

9. In 2005, I painted 4 rooms in our house by myself. When I finished setting up my new craft room, I stopped painting and focused on knitting and sewing instead! I still have 3 rooms left to paint…the paint is just sitting in a closet waiting for me to get back to work!

1. Whenever I paint a room, my allergies REALLY get bad. A few months ago, I bought a gas mask on eBay. Now, I’m fully equipped to get back to painting. I just have to force myself to get going again!
  1. I HATE CLEANING HOUSE. I HATE WASHING DISHES. I HATE WASHING CLOTHES. I HATE HATE HATE IT!!! (I need a maid.) :oops: Sometimes I wish I lived in an apartment so I could call for maintenance when things break down. And I wouldn’t have to do yard work!

2. When I have so much yarn and knitting projects and fiber for spinning and sewing patterns and fabric and embroidery kits and transfers and needlepoint, WHY would I want to do housework?

3. I was a very good student in school…until the 10th grade. Then I got lazy, but still managed to make B’s.

4. I can always remember what year I was in a certain grade. In 1971, I was in 1st grade, 1972 - 2nd, 1973 - 3rd, etc.

5. Once you graduate, you will never see the whole class together again.

I just finished updating my website, and added all my knitting patterns on one page for free! http://shandehpatterns.blogspot.com/

I hope that someone will enjoy my designs. They were fun to make. I made them out of necessity most of the time, because I had some yarn that I couldn’t find a pattern for, or I needed to make something that had never been designed. :help:

Well, let me clarify that…I couldn’t find a FREE pattern. So, I made my own. I hope I haven’t upset the economics of the knitting world too bad by making my patterns available online. :devil: