Shandeh is a Bernat Blogger Now!

SO great! Im really lovin that baby Santa hat… :rofling:

1. Whenever I get an email with a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby, I print out 6 copies of it. Then, I will go to Hobby Lobby every day of the week and buy one item, getting 40% off each time. (Yep - I’m a penny pincher!) I plan on using that method to buy some of those nice rosewood knitting needles!

I do three in one day. I take my kids and hand each one of them a coupon and an item, and then I hand them the money after the cashier rings them up. Works like a charm!

Wow! It DOES pay to have little ones! Too bad mine are all grown up now. I would have to pay mine to go with me, and then it wouldn’t be worth it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Kelly! I was a busy knitter this past Christmas, knitting for a local hospital charity. I couldn’t find a free pattern for a preemie Santa hat, so I had to make my own. It was very easy to make, and turned out just right. The roll brim is white, so it looks like Santa’s fluffy fur, even though it isn’t fluffy at all. :smiley:

Just keep that in mind the next time they ask you to make them something… blackmail works wonders with kids of every age! :thumbsup:

Just keep that in mind the next time they ask you to make them something… blackmail works wonders with kids of every age! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Good plan…good plan. :thumbsup:

I seriously need to get a copy of this “Animal Crossing” game… :lol:

Glad to see I’m in good company with the knitter/computer geek thing! I love that you’re an organist, too. I’m a history nut, and one of my sidegeeks is architecture and historic musical instruments.

I was married last October - at a UU church that had been built around 1853. They have the original organ, and it is a thing of beauty. It was custom built for the church in 1854 by Elias and George G. Hook of Boston, Mass. The design is unique, in that it is a tracker organ - only sticks and wires connect the keys to the pipes. Very different from the electro-pneumatic connection commonly seen today. There is electricity hookup for the wind supply though, so no one has to sit in the tower and hand pump - although the lever is still there! It was last used for six weeks after the 1938 hurricane that hit the Boston area.

We picked some unusual tunes for our wedding. :oops: Instead of the traditional march, I picked Jeremiah Clarke’s “Trumpet Tune” and the recessional was “In Dir Ist Freude” by J.S. Bach. I have a thing for German baroque composers… Johann Cruger’s “Schmucke Dich” ended up in there somewhere too.

I am proud to say that I can perform all those pieces! I’ve used “In Dir Ist Freude” at several weddings, and Clarke’s “Trumpet Tune” is one of my standards.

The organ at that church sounds WAY cool. I wonder if my organ professor has heard of it? He used to be the Dean of the AGO in my area, but he has since moved to another city. I still go to have “brush-up” lessons with him once in a while. His name is Dr. Andre Lash.

I’m a pro fisher-woman in my Animal Crossing town. I almost always win the fishing tournament each summer.

By the way, what did you name your town? Mine is “Heaven”. It’s so funny to see what they say about the town…

“Have a good day in Heaven!” “I’m thinking about moving from Heaven to another town.” “Go have fun in Heaven!” “I hate the town tune in Heaven”

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

[quote=“carolina red”]

Wow! It DOES pay to have little ones! Too bad mine are all grown up now. I would have to pay mine to go with me, and then it wouldn’t be worth it. :P[/quote]

My mom makes me go with her (I’m 37, insert sarcastic grownup comment here). About 2 months ago, it was her, me and my two daughters, and my BROTHER’s two daughters. Six at once!

Wow! It DOES pay to have little ones! Too bad mine are all grown up now. I would have to pay mine to go with me, and then it wouldn’t be worth it. :P[/quote]

My mom makes me go with her (I’m 37, insert sarcastic grownup comment here). About 2 months ago, it was her, me and my two daughters, and my BROTHER’s two daughters. Six at once![/quote]

That is so funny! I’ll bet that most of you have an expression of sarcasm as you go to the register. :rollseyes:

Not if we value our lives! :smiley:

Once again, I have been blessed with some great deals on eBay. Not knitting deals, mind you…but computer games! :smiley:

As you know, I love to play “The Sims”. What you don’t know about is my addiction to Nancy Drew Mystery Games. I have EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. I bought my first Nancy Drew game about 3 years ago, and I was immediately hooked. They are so fun to play - puzzles, interesting story lines, beautiful homes to walk around in. (A real escape from my messy abode.)
http://www.herinteractive.com/prod/index.shtml

Well, since I love the Nancy Drew game series so much, I decided to look into the other games made by The Adventure Company. I have found LOTS of fun games that really interest me. (I spent almost 3 hours on their website the other day looking at “adventure” games.)
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tac/pc.html

I really want to get the Agatha Christie game, and “Crime Stories” interests me as well, since I spend most of my nights watching Court TV while I knit. (I just LOVE it when those forensic detectives prove their case against a wicked killer.) :thumbsup:

So, after spending time on the website, I made a list of about 10 games I want to get. Then I mosied on over to ebay to see if I could find any of them for a good price. Because there is no way on earth that I could pay full price for all those games. :rollseyes:

I found a LOT of them, and started bidding. So far, I’ve won these:
“Voyage”
(based on the Jules Verne novel “From the Earth to the Moon”),
“MISSING since January”
(about a journalist and his companion who disappeared while investigating a gruesome murder.)
“Dark Fall”
(looks pretty scary to me)
“Lights Out”
(sequel to Dark Fall)
“Forever Worlds”
(a game based in parallel universes)
and “Return to Mysterious Island”
(based on the Jules Verne novel “The Mysterious Island” which is one of my favorite books)

I’m still winning the auction for “Crime Stories”, but I keep getting outbid on the Agatha Christie game.

Yesterday’s mail brought a package that contained “Return to Mysterious Island”. I was so excited!
:cheering:
But, I couldn’t play it at first, because I had to go to teach piano lessons and play for choir rehearsal at church. I didn’t get home until after 9:00, and still had to eat my dinner. So, I finally started playing it at about 11:00 last night.

My knee had been hurting all day (as usual), and I had taken a prescription pain pill to help ease the pain. The pill causes drowsiness, so after playing for just an hour, I was exhausted.
:zzz:
I fell asleep, and woke with stomach trouble this morning. What a drag! I got out of bed at 5:00 a.m., ate some TUMS and saw my husband off to work at 5:30. (He’s a restaurant manager)

Then I took my morning thyroid pill, and knit for about 2 hours while watching TV.
:XX:
While having a simple breakfast (hot tea, coffee, peaches and cream oatmeal), I signed on to the computer to check email, and read the latest entries in our knitting forum. You guys are so much fun to commune with!
:inlove:

So…now…FINALLY…I will sign off the internet and play my new game for a while. The beautiful, lush Mysterious Island is beckoning me. I might be there for the rest of the day. What a treat! No piano lessons…No choir rehearsals…No errands…Oh, wait a minute. I have to go pay a bill for my husband. Oh well…only ONE errand. Oops! I forgot…I have to go to the grocery store too…and make dinner before my hubby gets home. Bummer.
:crying:

Well, at least I can spend the next FEW hours on Mysterious Island.
:smiley:

Bye for now!

Speaking of games, has anyone tried the CSI series of computer games? A couple of them have nearly made it into my shopping cart at work, but I’m afraid to buy something so out of my usual gaming realm without trying it first.

Have you tried Auction Sniper? http://www.auctionsniper.com/

This submits a bid for you in the last 7 secs of the auction. It means that you don’t start a bidding war because no one knows you are interested and then at the last minute - yahoo it’s yours. Well it’s worked for me on everything I bid on recently! If you sign up - don’t forget my ebay id areeve372 - and then I get 3 free snipes :smiley: Oh - you get 3 free snipes too to test it out.

I was lucky to find the very first CSI game at a Goodwill store for 5 dollars, so I grabbed it right away. My husband and I both really enjoyed playing it. I solved all the cases before he did, of course. Mostly because I watch those crime shows every night.

I want to get the rest of them now.

Have you tried Auction Sniper? http://www.auctionsniper.com/

This submits a bid for you in the last 7 secs of the auction. It means that you don’t start a bidding war because no one knows you are interested and then at the last minute - yahoo it’s yours. Well it’s worked for me on everything I bid on recently! If you sign up - don’t forget my ebay id areeve372 - and then I get 3 free snipes :smiley: Oh - you get 3 free snipes too to test it out.[/quote]

Well, I’m SUPER patient, and I just keep trying til I win. When I bid, I put in the highest amount I’m willing to pay. Eventually I win, and it’s very satisfying when I do.

My husband says that he can’t believe how patient I am. When we’re out window-shopping and I see something I want, I bring out my Sony Clie (a PDA I won on eBay) and put in all the details. When we get home, I pull out the list and search on eBay.

I also buy vintage glassware at antique and consignment stores. I don’t buy the glassware on eBay anymore, because it’s too easily damaged in the mail. One time, I won a set of 4 Fire King Laurel Patterned Peach Lustre cups and saucers that were in perfect condition. When I got the package, it jingled…every single piece was broken. Good thing I paid for insurance…but I wanted the dishes…not the money.

After that incident, I vowed to never again buy glassware through the mail.

Well, I ended up playing in the Mysterious Island for a couple hours, then got my errands finished. (I bought Talapia for dinner - I’m gonna grill it when my hubby gets home - Yum!)

The new game is WAY cool. I’m a girl shipwrecked on a deserted island that was once inhabited by some very enterprising men - an engineer, a reporter, a sailor, a student, and a cook. They have since left the island, and all of their gadgets are still where they left them. Most of them are broken, but of course I am smart enough to get them working again.

So far, I’ve gone fishing, made fire, and cooked oysters, turtle eggs, and crab. I’ve also found coconuts, oranges and lemons. I’ve trapped a snake and found an injured monkey. I’m working on healing the monkey and hopefully convincing him to help me out. Several times, I’ve come across some places where my character will say, “Only a monkey could get up there!” So, I’m assuming this is the monkey I need. :wink:

I’ve found silver and copper coins in treasure chests, and several tools to use. I made one tool by combining a piece of sharp metal and a stick. I also made a bow, but I have no arrows yet. I found a sulfur spring, fresh water, and some clay. I found a potter’s wheel and fashioned some dishes with the clay. Now I have to find a way to repair the bellows for the fire so I can get it hot enough to cook my pottery. THEN, I’ll be able to get fresh water in a cup - ah!!

It’s a pretty cool game. It’s very educational, and exciting at the same time. Oh…and the island is beautiful.

Today was the Spring Recital for my piano students. The recital was at 2:00 in the choir room at my church, and it went very well. I had refreshments set up, and had made treat bags for everyone. My students all did a WONDERFUL job performing.

Two of my students were awarded a pass to our local theme park (Paramount Carowinds) because they had learned all of their major and minor scales. (That’s 24 scales!)

When the recital was over, I walked everyone over to the sanctuary and showed them the grand piano and organ I play every week. I explained how different parts of the grand piano work, and played a short piece for them. Then I showed them the organ, and played a Bach Prelude. They seemed to really enjoy the organ demonstration and asked TONS of questions. The parents asked more questions than the students!

I hope that some of my students will choose to start organ lessons, because that is an art that is starting to die. It breaks my heart to see churches getting rid of their organ because there is no organist to play it.

When all my students left, I straightened up the choir room a little bit, then headed back over to the sanctuary. I was hired to play piano and organ this afternoon for a wedding, and there was one piece I still needed to practice (an advanced arrangement of “Ave Maria”). Alas, the soloist and his accompanist were already there rehearsing their piece, so I ended up going back to the choir room to practice my piece.

When I was satisfied with “Ave Maria”, I went back to the sanctuary again. By this time, the trumpeter had arrived, and he and I had to rehearse his piece (“Trumpet Voluntary” by Jeremiah Clarke). Soon after that, the handbell player arrived to rehearse his performance of “Westminster Chimes”.

I asked someone the time, and realized I had to start my piano prelude in 15 minutes, so I scrambled up to my file cabinet beside the organ and gathered all my prelude music together. I arranged all my organ pieces at the organ so they would be ready, then took my prelude stack to the piano.

The prelude was supposed to only last for 30 minutes, but apparently someone in the wedding party was running late. I ended up playing for about 40 minutes. The soloist and his accompanist then performed a piece for the seating of the parents, then the handbell performer did his piece to chime the hour. My organ processional was “Canon in D” by Pachelbel, then I switched to “Trumpet Voluntary” (with the trumpeter) for the bride.

The ceremony was beautiful, and my recessional went well (“Prelude in C” by Bach, and “Hymn to Joy” by Beethoven). I ended up having to play two more pieces for a postlude, because the crowd was HUGE. When that final note sounded, I was ready to collapse!

After all that, I STILL had to go back to the choir room to clean up from the recital. Whew! Thank God my husband came and helped. I don’t think I could have handled it by myself.

By the time I got home, I was pooped. Good news, though! I had a package from Knitpicks sitting at my door! Yee ha! I had placed my very first order with them, and was so pleased. I only paid 19 dollars, and got 8 skeins of beautiful yarn and a nice aran sweater pattern.

Knitting is my reward to myself for all the work I do through music.

:cheering: What a great first order!!

That Mysterious Island game sounds really neat!