OT: Cervical Cancer Awareness

Click here to order a free (yes, 100% free) bead bracelet kit. For every kit ordered, Merck will donate one dollar to Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation. :heart:

Can I get on my soapbox here? It has been proven in recent studies that a majority of cervical cancer is caused by HPV, the Human Papilloma Virus. A virus that is spread through sexual intercouse. A virus for which there is currently a vaccination. A vaccination that has been shown in testing to be 100% effective. Unfortunately, there are people at work in our society who want to deny this vaccination to young women on the basis that it will encourage promiscuity among teenagers. I don’t think that anyone should have to pay the price of death for having bad judgement in their teen years. (How many of us barely made it out of our teens alive as it is?)

So please order this kit. Make a little bracelet, and while you are at it, send your congressperson or senator an email encourage them to support the speedy approval of the HPV vaccine.

Here is some info.
/soapbox

lol i love it when people get on soap boxes like that, and i wouldn’t even have to agree with it cuz i really just like a good debate.

as it is, i agree and the thing that got me the most when i heard of the protest was that doctors were saying that it can be given to children as young as 9 years old. If you have to worry that your 9 year old is going to become promiscuous after having a shot then the issues that are going on there are far deeper than you are willing to admit.

i kind of wish these companies would just give the money they spend on these things to the charity but i appreciate the awareness thing so i will play along! :thumbsup:

I’m glad you got on your soapbox because I knew nothing about that vaccine. I’m off to read the info you provided. :slight_smile:

It’s estimated that 80% of women become infected with HPV by the time they’re 60. Perhaps 10% of them know about it.

Thank you so much for this information.

Done! Thanks!

I’m ordering one. I personally suffer from HPV and have to get checked every 6 months to make sure no abnormal cells are present. I wasn’t aware that the vaccine was available already. I can only hope that it will be awailable to my step-daughter, or when I have my own daughter.

Same.

I am quite emotional about cancer and cancer researching. My lucy bag is being donated to raise money for cancer research. Without research these vaccines and other drugs that control cancers would not be possible.

That vaccine sounds very interesting. I’ll click the link but I doubt they would send the kit to the UK unfortunately =( I’ll support cancer charities wherever they are - the work they do is very important.

That and kidney research are my two special charities.

I agree you guys said it better than I can… but when I heard about the 9yr old getting the shot I thought if they were going to wouldn’t they with/without the shot :?? just gets me if it can be stopped why we are not stopping it… :wink:

because it doesn’t effect the willie warmer region.

i mean seriously…little blue pills were covered by my insurance before birth control was! :rollseyes:

:rollseyes: just hope they find the same thing causes testicular cancer and BAM the vaccines will be available in every school in every country from the age of 9 with boosters again at 16 lol

The vaccine isn’t out yet, it’s still awaiting approval from the FDA. Just because it’s effective in preventing HPV infection doesn’t mean it’s safe, and the FDAs job is to determine the safety of drugs before they go on the market. Just because they fall under pressure to approve high-profile drugs early doesn’t mean they should. Vioxx caused several deaths before it got pulled from the market. Had it gone through further testing before being released, perhaps those lives could have been saved.

So lets hope that the vaccine is safe and approved soon.

Hurray for awareness! I found out I had HPV a couple years ago. I had never heard of it before, had no idea what it was. I was shocked, thinking there must be some mistake because there was no way I had an std! Wrong. I got an aggressive strain (there are multiple types) that causes cell dysplasia, and have had to have some removed, etc and have to always keep up with checking it. Apparently my risk for cancer is much higher now. PLEASE tell you daughters about this! I’ve heard that up to 75% of women get it in their lifetime, but most types are fairly harmless. One of the bad parts is…there’s no symptoms. You will not know you have it unless a pap comes back weird. Even if you are as safe as possible with your sexual choices, you may still get it. (accepting total abstinance of course). I’m so thrilled that there may be an effective vaccine coming out! I wish it had been available sooner.

I hate the misguided rationale that this vaccine will encourage our young daughters to be more promiscuous. The best quote I’ve heard in response: “Makes sense to me – with tetanus shots so readily available, I now spend nearly all my free time pounding rusty nails into myself.”

I love you ladies and your opinions so much…I suffered from HPV and had to go through many many rechecks b/c of an aggressive strain…It’s been 10 years now that I’ve had no problems but I, too, had no idea how many people have HPV–most women do have it. It’s scary!

I too have an aggressive straing. Luckily, I’ve only had to have the surgery to remove cells once so far. I try and spread the word about this as much as I can. So many women seem embarassed to talk about it. I’ve unfortunately encountered people who’ve spread rumors about me acting like what I have is a “dirty STD” just because it’s spread through sexual intercourse. It makes me sooo angry!!

I posted about this bracelet in another craft forum. There someone said they signed up for this months ago, but never received the bracelet. I really hope this money is still donated. :frowning:

:rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: okay i just woke up and this is the first thing i have read this morning…whatta great way to start my day! :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling:

I have HPV, too. I had an abnormal pap years ago, and had laser surgery to remove the abnormal cells. Then, repeated paps every 3 mos for 1 year, 6 mos for another year, then back to once a year. You can’t be too careful.

I am/was too - though it’s been 10 years since my conization and I’m free and clear! I took a lot of herbs and vitamins too. The body CAN beat certain viruses and bugs. Scary, isn’t it though? hugs

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t buy stock in Medtronics, though back in the day - bah!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Yeah, and alergy shots, and general anesthesia and all that. I just go out and roll in scotch-broom all the time now that I’m getting shots for it. We really need a cynical-snicker-with-eyeroll emoticon.

Seriously though, how do you agrue with people who think that knowledge is so very dangerous?