Need Help with Pattern Instructions

Hello! I have a pattern that I am trying to decode!
Here it is…Is there someone out there willing to break this down for me? I’m a bit of a novice.

Cast on 100 stitches on circular needle size 3 mm / US 2.5 with Merino Extra Fine or Karisma. Work in GARTER STITCH - read explanation above, back and forth. REMEMBER THE GAUGE! When piece measures 24 cm, cast on stitches at the end of every row in each side as follows: Cast on 1 stitch 2 times and 2 stitches 5 times (= 12 stitches increased in each side) = 124 stitches. At the end of next row cast on 28 stitches at the end of row = 152 stitches. Knit until mid back on helmet hat by knitting 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches cast on mid front. Now divide the piece mid back to work back and forth from mid back (this is done so that the seam is mid back). Work in garter stitch back and forth until piece measures 10 cm / 4’’ from the 28 stitches cast on mid front. Now insert 8 marker threads in the piece as follows: Begin mid back and insert first marker thread after 10 stitches, then insert the next 7 marker threads after 19 stitches, there are now 9 stitches on needle after last marker thread. Continue in garter stitch.

Maybe this pattern?

Work the 100 sts back and forth in garter stitch until 24cm. Cast on 1stitch at the each end of the next row (call it row 1) and at each end of row 2. Then cast on 2sts at each end of rows 3,4,5,6 and 7. That’ll be 12sts cast on on each side.

Since you can’t cast on at the end of a row, cast on at the beginning of the next row. For example on row 1 cast on one stitch at the beginning of the row, work to the end, turn and cast on 2sts. That’s the one stitch for the end of row 1 and the one stitch at the beginning of row 2.

That will at least get you started or had you gotten this far? Let us know just where the question is. If you need help as the pattern proceeds, let us know.

2 Likes

You are amazing!!! Thank you SO MUCH! I will text again when I get this all done. I will need more help I can tell.

1 Like

Yes, and this is the pattern!!!

I love that! And it would accommodate my pony tail clamp.

1 Like

I just can’t visualize the pattern/design with the instructions and was hoping there was something like this diagram for this pattern so that i know what I’m knitting. (Since I’m very new to knitting).Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 8.06.18 PM

Like the one above. This one is from a different pattern.

It should be a requirement that a schematic be included in knitting patterns. Drops patterns usually do have them but sadly, not this one. It really needs one.

I made a diagram of what I understand this to be. Can you tell me if I understand this right? And what to do from here?

That looks good. I would put the 28 cast on sts on the left end of the row rather than on the right but that may not matter. The next step is to cut the yarn and rejoin at the mid-back (vertical blue line). That’s at this point:
“Knit until mid back on helmet hat by knitting 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches cast on mid front.” Then you knit across to the left edge (arrow pointing left), join to the sts at the right edge, and knit back and forth. The mid-back is your new beginning of row.

So where you drew the blue line….where is that in relation to the picture? Is that the back? I can’t visualize the locations.

Your diagram is the piece knit flat from the top of the hood at the 100stitch cast on proceeding up. The blue line is the mid back, 62sts plus the 28stitch cast on along the row. The blue link is at the center of the 124 stitches that you had before the cast on of 28sts.
That mid-back is going to be the new start of row. It will form the back seam.

1 Like

can you tell me where the 62 stitches start? on the same row as the 152 stitches or on a brand new row?
This part I do not understand: Knit until mid back on helmet hat by knitting 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches cast on mid front. Now divide the piece mid back to work back and forth from mid back (this is done so that the seam is mid back)

It may be helpful to put a marker at the midpoint (62sts) before you cast on the 28sts. Then on the next row, cast on 28sts. You’ll have to cast on at the beginning of the row since you can’t cast on at the end of row. If you want you can then knit to the marker on that same row.

1 Like

Thank you but I did not understand that piece of instruction. “Knit until mid back on helmet hat by knitting 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches cast on mid front. Now divide the piece mid back to work back and forth from mid back (this is done so that the seam is mid back). Work in garter stitch back and forth until piece measures 10 cm / 4’’ from the 28 stitches cast on mid front”. This is what I think and where I am at. see diagram. Would you be able to draw for me where they want the 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches

Sure. The 62 stitch point is at the blue arrow. There’s 62sts each side of the arrow discounting the 28sts just cast on. The arrow is to be the new beginning of row so that the seam will be mid-back.

I did not understand that. I did the 28 stitches and so on one side there is 62 stitches and other has 62+28=90. Do I just stick back and forth from the end of the 28 stitch to the 62 stick marker?
What does this mean? “Knit until mid back on helmet hat by knitting 62 stitches from after the 28 stitches cast on mid front.”

Hello
May I help too?

You are doing it right.
On row 8 you knit right across 124 stitches, visualise this as 2 sets of 62 with a stitch marker at the mid point where the blue line is.
At the end of row 8 you cast on 28 stitches, really this has to happen at the beginning of row 9 because you do a knit cast on and add the new stitches to the left needle which already holds the 124 (or 2 sets of 62).

Row 9, you now have
28 new stitches, 62 stitches, a marker, 62 stitches
Row 9 is to knit until the marker
This is what is meant by 62 stitches after the 28, it means knit the new 28 and continue to knit another 62.
Then stop.
Turn your work (now 62 unworked stitches sit on hold on the right needle, 62 + 28 sit on left needle)
Row 10 work the 90 stitches (62 + 28) in garter.
Continue to knit these 90 back and forth for several rows and until this section measures 10cm.
The 10cm measurement is vertical (rows) measured from the row the 28 were cast on and up to the needle.

Your work will look uneven for a time as you are only working some of the stitches. The blue line where your marker is becomes the new beginning/end of the row. This end is referred to as “mid back” so when you get to 10cm you will be at this point and will work the next row from mid back (marker, blue line) to mid front (the end of the piece where the 28 were added) and you will place markers in several points whilst you work that row.

Sometimes it just helps to have things said in a different way. And maybe this helps, maybe not. I hope so!

1 Like

The pattern seems to me to be very awkward at this point so no wonder you’re having trouble visualizing. The problem seems to be that the design has you start with a new beginning of row for the cowl portion of the hood.
There is a choice here if you have the knitting on a circular needle. You could knit in the round from where you are now by joining the end of row (end of the total number of 152sts) to the beginning of row and working the remainder of this lower portion in the round.
An alternative is to leave the end of row where it is now and just continue to knit back and forth. When your finished a neat mattress stitch seam will close it up.
I know this is frustrating but it’s in part due to to design and the pattern wording.

ETA, Creations, I don’t see that there is a reason to work some sts (90 out of 152sts) with some on hold once the hood itself has been worked. It seems to me that this would create an uneven cowl, no?

Only because it says to work back and forth from the mid back where it will seam.
My assumption (perhaps wrongly) is that the other side will be worked later. (Like neck and shoulder shaping on a sweater where you work one side then rejoin yarn to work the other side)
Or am I totally wrong???
The pattern does not appear to say to join the 2 edges to work the row of 62 + 28 + 62

In fact… perhaps this is where some confusion lies.
Should in fact the row be joined between/at stitch 28 and the other edge of the fabric??? Making a row of 152?

Hmm… now that I have typed this out, it does in fact make more sense this way with the following instruction of placing markers.
10 + (7 × 19) + 9 = 154
Ahhhhhhhhh, yes.

Now then, my deepest apologies for adding confusion into the mix. My intention was to add another pair of eyes and try to help.
I really am sorry.
That said, if there IS a join, which it now seems there is, I think the pattern has failed to say this?.??
So perhaps my confusion has helped to untangle the problem?

I did notice in one of your posts you said “join” and I misunderstood this thinking you meant if they wanted to work in the round. But rethinking this, you actually meant “join” even if to work flat back and forth as the row is now to be joined in a new way.
Yes?

Separately:
I think your suggestion of working in the round is great and would produce a neat piece, it’s only that if it was me I’d be stuck not knowing how to do that due to lack of experience. I would need to follow the pattern to knit back and forth and seam it later. I have only worked one item in the round.

Lisasmith I am sincerely sorry if I have caused further confusion.

1 Like