Looks like knit on both sides

Hi,

My sister has a scarf that looks like “knit” on both sides. I saw something on Knitty Gritty but I can’t find it on thier website and I don’t know the name of the stitch.

Does anyone know how to do that stitch?

Thanx
Ellen :star:

Welcome to the forum!

Scroll down to Double Knitting on this page. I think that might be what you’re looking for. :wink:

Welcome to Knitting Help ejingram! :waving:

Jane,

Thanks. I will check that out.

Ellen

Jane,

I’m not familiar with this forum. Could you please send me the url?

Thanx,
Ellen

I’m also trying to do double knitting but I somehow always ended up doing a seed stitch… :?? What am I doing wrong? :wall:

See how the words “this page” in my previous post are in a different color? That means it’ll open up the link if you click on it. You can also get there by clicking on the “Advanced Techniques” tab at the top of this page.

Sorry, I didn’t see the difference in the color. I’m color blind.

I did look at how she was knitting, that’s not how her scarf is. It does look like how the woman did it on the video, but it’s not that thick.

It’s done something like k1, sl st to right needle, k1, I do even amount of stitches, but when I k1 every other stitch on the next row, it looks more like a purl than a knit.

I don’t know if I’m explaining it right and I know I am definately doing it wrong.

Thanx for your help…

do you happen to remember what the name of the scarf was, when it aired, what other projects were in the show? anything like that?

I find doing searches on www.diynetwork.com can be kind of tedious but if you know more about the show, someone who watches might be able to point you in the right direction.

Oops! Sorry Ellen. My brother is color blind too, so I should know better. Anyway, I’ll try to do links in bold so they show up better.

Do you happen to have a picture of your sister’s scarf?

ETA: There is a way to do double knit where only one side is worked at a time. E.g., for Row 1, you would work your Side A stitches, while slipping the Side B stitches. Then, for Row 2, you work the Side B stitches, while slipping the Side A stitches. The technique that Amy demonstrates it is faster since you do both sides at once, but not everyone likes to do it that way since it requires holding both yarns at the same time. I know you said the fabric is not that thick, but could it be possible that the scarf just uses a lighter weight yarn?

oooooooh wait…was it the

[size=6]Illusion scarf?[/size]

Hmm… are you getting two layers of fabric or just one layer of seed stitch? If the latter, try watching the video with yarn and needles in hand so you can follow along, and pay special attention to whether the yarn is supposed in front or in the back of the work. I’m not sure, but I think it may be the cause of your problem. You want to make sure both strands are in the back when you knit, and both strands are in the front when you purl.

Jane & Brenda,

Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of her scarf. It looks like the person who made it for her used regular yarn.

I really can’t see the pattern that well on DIY, even when I enlarge the photo. I am going to have to try to do that pattern and see if it’s the same. If I do happen to get a picture of my sister’s scarf, I will post it. It’s in gray so it might not show the pattern too well. I just got a micro lens for Christmas for my camera, so maybe it will come out.

I’ll let you know either tomorrow night or Thursday.

Thanx,

janelanespaintbrush:

Thank you :heart: ! After watching the video a few more times VERY CAREFULLY, I finally managed to get it right! weeeeeee :cheering:

ejingram:

After I tried a few times with some different ways of knitting, I happen to find a technique that is almost what you are looking for, I’m not quite sure if this will work for you :?? , but anyways…this is how I did it:

For the first row, I knit once, and then purl, then knit, then purl, and so on.
Then, for the second row, if the stitch was a purl, I knit it on the second row; same thing, if the stitch was a knit, I purl it this time.
Then you continue this pattern.

If you’ve done this right, you should end up with a fabric that looks almost like knit on both sides, except that if you look carefully, there is a column of non-knit-looking pattern between each column of your knit patterns. But don’t worry, the non-knit-looking columns happen to be somehow hidden behind your knit columns, so the whole look of your fabric looks like knit on both sides.
*NOTE: this is not a seed stitch, so you will not end up with a seed stitch(although it sounds like a seed stitch)

That’s it! I hope this helps you :pray:

:?? How is it not? :?? I must be missing something.

Looks like you are doing a double knit fabric with 1x1 rib on both sides. (The purl columns are probably hidden when the rib is unstretched.) Stockinette would be easier and less bulky, and would, well… give you stockinette on both sides. :teehee:

:?? How is it not? :?? I must be missing something.[/quote]

Both 1x1 rib and seed stitch are k1, p 1. But in ribbing you knit the stitches that look like knits on the row you’re working on, and purl the stitches that look like purls. In seed stitch, you do the opposite - p the knits, k the purls.

sue

janelanespaintbrush & suzeeq:

Yes indeed, that’s what I meant lol, I suppose I didn’t explain it well enough :??
Thanks for making my explanation clear :notworthy:

I just happen to have done this stitch ramdomly and it somewhat looks like knit on both sides, so I decided to post this ALMOST knit-on-both-sides stitch under this topic anyways, lol :teehee:

You know, it’s possible that the scarf is just a plain old 1x1 rib (not double knit) that happens to look like stockinette on both sides because the purl columns are hidden.