Knitted hat, pompom or no pompom? discuss!

Hey everyone,… should a knitted cap have a pompom or not?
I.E does it look better with a pompom at the top/ pompom hanging down from the top? Or even 2 pompoms hanging down from drawstrings from the top?

Now which gender wears a pompom on the hat?

Boys?
Girls?
Both?

This IS an issue,…im currently debating it with my BF :slight_smile:

Now which age group of each gender would wear a pompom on their hat?

If you DONT want a pompom on your haT or if it scares the hell out of you then why not?

:teehee:

This is totally a personal issue of course. I’m not generally a pompom person, but they look cute on kids and some hats for females.

I love pompoms on hats…they look so cute@!

No pompoms here for me. I don’t really like them. If it was for a baby, I might consider it though. But I try to make them look funny. I will have a kid that’s sillied to death.

They’re ok for a kid’s hat, but just look silly on an adult.

yeah, no pompoms for me either, and I don’t even like them on kids stuff :shrug:

Are we helping you win the war at all? :teehee: Or is all lost…

Pom poms are great for babies and toddlers.

After age 5 – no pom poms.

I remember when my son was 3 or 4 we were at the lake swimming and a woman I knew casually came with her son of the same age.

Poor little tyke – she had him wearing one of those baseball caps with the propeller on the top! :teehee: OMG! It looked so ridiculous on him that to this day when I see him (he’s gotta be 12 or 13!) I can’t get that image out of my head.

It was then I vowed I would never humiliate any of my children in that manner, ever. (ok, so I did lick and stick cheerios to their little faces when I was bored, but I never took them out in public that way!)

Nope, nothing silly on the tops of my hats.

Best,
Susan

Pom poms are great for big kids crafts…making animals .

I wouldn’t use them on a babies or toddlers hats or clothing …too much of a choking hazard.

There is a very large, male crisis worker at work who wears an ear-flapped, pom-pom laden hat. He’s trying for the wierdest hat contest, I think. But to be honest, only he could pull it off. :teehee: Pom poms for little children who beg for them.

I’d vote no pom pom. They do kind of cover up the place at the top where the yarn is gathered, but that’s about it.

Besides that, all my attempts to make pom poms come out less than even mediocre. They all look like they’re going bald…no matter how many much yarn I wrap and tie, they are the skimpiest, ugliest, un-full pom poms anyone has ever seen. :verysad:

Personally, I vote UGH on pom-poms. Teen girls can pull them off on the top of their hats, or little children. Grown ups should probably avoid them, although they can look look in SMALL sizes on the ends of strings attached to ear flaps (think snow boarder hat).

Of course, I am not a fan of the fringe either, so I may not be a reliable source on this.

Misty

I say no pom-poms. I can’t stand them :ick: even for kids hats.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Thank you for your views BUT ive seen a lot of young males i.e. college boys wearing woollen cap with a pompom at the top and guess what?

They ALL have GF’s!!!
Not only that the pompom does cover up the part where the yarn gathers :slight_smile:
:cheering:

Alright Steff, here’s my vote.

I refuse to make a hat without a pom pom. People ask me to make them hats and I warn them, it will have a pom pom, and if they don’t like it they should go buy a pom-less hat. I even put a bell in the pom on my brother’s hat. I just don’t know of any other way to do it. :rofl:

You put a bell on the pompom ??? What does that mean?
refuse to make a hat without pompom?
Good on ya! :cheering:
Snowboarders and skiers wear hats with pompoms, so why not !
My Bf wears a hat with a pompom , if he were to refuse hed know about it LOL

How old is your brother ayalaane?

which fringe do you refer to?

You put a bell on the pompom ??? What does that mean?
refuse to make a hat without pompom?
Good on ya! :cheering:
Snowboarders and skiers wear hats with pompoms, so why not !
My Bf wears a hat with a pompom , if he were to refuse hed know about it LOL

How old is your brother ayalaane?[/quote]

When I made my brother’s pom pom, I did it like a normal pom, by wrapping yarn around a cardboard square and then sliding the loops off and tying it in the middle. But when I tied it, I attached a bell to the string that I was tying it with. When I cut the loops, the bell was hidden.

My brother is 23, and my husband is 27, and he was the recipient of the first pom pom hat I made:

just to be contrary, I’m going to have to go with earmuffs.

gotta admit i hate pom-pommed hats with a passion

When I made my brother’s pom pom, I did it like a normal pom, by wrapping yarn around a cardboard square and then sliding the loops off and tying it in the middle. But when I tied it, I attached a bell to the string that I was tying it with. When I cut the loops, the bell was hidden.

My brother is 23, and my husband is 27, and he was the recipient of the first pom pom hat I made:
[/quote]

Nice pic aylaane!!!
:cheering:
What a great hat!!!
Personally ive always prefferd the pompom to be up on top rather than flopping over,
Me personally i always have my hat a bit bigger so it can flop over and the pompom either flops over to the side or to the back.
My BF has his pompom right on top though :happydance:

Which do you prefer? pompom on top? or flopepd to the side?