Is it (in)advisable to burn yarn ends to prevent fraying

I finished my cardigan! I have woven in my ends. But of course part of the ends stick out, because I can’t cut them too short or the yarn will come out from where its woven.

My cardigan is made of acrylic yarn. Could I use a lighter to burn the ends of the yarn? If that is a crazy idea - is there something else I could do?

1 Like

A safer bet might be to put a dab of clear nail polish on it. You know… the old remedy for when you’d get a run in your pantyhose?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t burn the ends. There’s something called Fray Check that can be used to stick down ends.
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-1674-Liquid-Sealant-0-75-Ounce/dp/B000YQKIDY

4 Likes

Whatever you do, try it on something else before you try it on something you have spent many hours to complete.

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions and advice!!!

1 Like

A trick I learned from Jane Slicer-Smith is to thread each end through a short, yarn needle then zig zag through the middle of the strands yarn forming stitches on adjacent rows. Then gently pull up the yarn on the needle and clip. The end will slip back into the yarn strand and will stay put.

I don’t know what it’s called, but when I change colors I knit one in and another out = no knots. Things are held securely.

Yes, try various methods and see what works best for you.

Fray Block by Tailor dries with a softer texture than the Fray Check. I use it on serged seams.

1 Like