Help deciphering blanket pattern

I’m currently working a Bernat Butterfly pattern for a baby blanket but I can’t get past the 2nd row of the pat panel. The first 2 rows use a preset pattern with 31 sts repeated with a few extra here and there to come out to the 153 you first cast on. After that, it tells you the pat panel is now in place and to continue the pattern until the 30th row is complete. Here’s my problem: for the remainder of the pattern, each row is worked only over the 31 sts and there aren’t any other instructions. Well, 31 does not divide evenly into 153 so just repeating the 31 sts for the whole row doesn’t come out right.

Here is the 2nd row which works fine:P4{(P4. PB1. P22. PB1.P3) P7} 3 times. P4. PB1. P22. PB1. P3. P4

Here is the 3rd row that I can’t get to work: K5. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K17. K2tog. yfwd. K5
If I repeat it over and over I’m only left with 3 sts instead of 5 at the end.

Has anyone done this pattern that can please explain this to me.

THANKS!!

Do you have a link to the pattern so we could look it over?

My thought is you should have 4 sts on either end which are not repeated; what you do repeat is k1, yo, skp, k17, k2tog, yo, k5. Unless you’re doing your YOs with a knit st after wrapping the needle.

I don’t have a link. It’s in a Bernat Bonus Book I purchased. I checked their website but it’s not one of the free patterns they offer. I could put the 4 sts at the beg and end of each row but that would leave 145 sts which still doesn’t divide by the 31 of the pattern. Maybe I should add the 4 at the beg and end and the 7 in the middle (3 x’s). That would be the right number of sts. I just hope the pattern lines up. I’m tired of taking sts out. I feel like I’ve taken out more than I’ve put on. lol

Wait a minute… you’re not repeating 31 sts on row 2, it’s 37 3 times plus the first 4 plus 35. Which equals 150 unless I counted wrong…

Here’s a link to corrections - http://www.bernat.com/erratum.php - maybe they have one for the pattern.

it’s (38) 3 times. there are 31 sts in the pattern plus (7) each of the 1st 3 times per the instr for that row. I did a couple of rows that way last night and I think it’s working. I’ll let you know when I finish row 30 if I have butterflies or just a bunch of holes. Thanks for your help!!!

Hi. I just started the same Butterfly blanket pattern and I’m also having issues on row 3. Did yours work out? I would appreciate any help. Do I need to keep 4 stitches at beginning and end (for a border) and then work the pattern rows?
I think they edited the pattern too much, it could really use some fine tuning!!
Thanks.

Wow, I actually logged in tonight to post a question I have about this same pattern. I have completed 30 rows though and my butterflies did not turn out correct. To answer the previous question about how the panel pattern fits into the 153 total stitches, here is how I interpreted the instructions:
For each row, start with knitting 4 (or purling 4 for the even rows). Then work the panel pattern four times but after the first three times, follow the 31 panel pattern stitches with 7 knit or purl stitches. So basically, your first three panel pattern repetition = 38 stitches. Then for the 4th repetition, follow it with 4 knit or purl stitches. This brings your total stitches per row to 153 (4+38+38+38+31+4=153). Hope this helps.

Now here is what I am having issues with…

I can’t seem to figure out what stitches I am supposed to “yfwd” before on the knit rows (odd rows). After finally thinking I had it figured out to = the 31 stitches, I completed all 30 rows and now have funny looking butterflies. I’ve copied the first 11 rows of the pattern below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do feel better knowing I’m not the only one having trouble with this pattern. :slight_smile:

Here are the first 11 rows:
Panel Pat (worked over 31 stitches)
1st row: (RS). K2 K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. K19. K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. K2.
2nd row: P4. PB1. P22. PB1. P3.
3rd row: K5. (yfwd). Sl1. K1. psso. K17. K2tog. (yfwd). K5.
4th row: Purl.
5th row: K6. (yfwd). Sl1. K1. pso. K15. K2tog. (yfwd). K6.
6th row: P7. yrn. P2tog. P13. P2togtbl. yrn. P7.
7th row: K5. K2tog. yfwd. K1. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K11. K2tog. yfwd. K1. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K5.
7th row: K5. K2tog. yfwd. K1. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K11. K2tog. yfwd. K1. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K5.
8th row: P4. P2togtbl. yrn. P3.yrn. P2tog. P9. P2togtbl. yrn. P3. yrn. P2tog. P4.
9th row: K3. K2tog. yfwd. K5. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K3. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K2. K2tog. yfwd. K5. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K3.
10th row: Purl
11th row: K2. K2tog. yfwd. K1. K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. K2. (yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K2tog. yfwd. K1) twice. K1. K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. yfwd. Sl1. K1. psso. K2.

And I only knit from time to time and picked this for those cute butterflys. I can barely make the pattern make sense. I was thinking one would work 6 rows stocking st, row 1, row 2 and then go to the pattern and start row 1 from there. IS that what you guys did? Or did you go from that row 2 to ROW 3 of the panel pat?

Hate to hear that there is trouble in the pattern as this is written in an odd way from all the patterns I’m used to reading anyway.

http://www.bernat.com/patternbook.php?PBS=542050

Here’s at least a tiny picture of it. Sometimes seeing the pattern as it should be helps to figure out where what should go. Or at least it does in crochet.

After doing the stocking knit rows and working row 1 and 2, I then proceeded with row 3 and moved on through the 30 rows. Can you tell me how you knit row one? Which stitches you “yfwd” before? My struggle has been figuring out where they want me to yarn forward in order for the stitches to always equal 31.

Doint a yfwd is the same as a YO and it adds a stitch, it doesnt use one. So for the first line –
“K2 K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. K19. K2tog. (yfwd) twice. Sl1. K1. psso. K2.”

K2, k2tog, yo 2 times, skp (a decrease) k19, k2tog, yo twice, skp, and end with k2. The double yarnovers will be 2 loops on the needle which you purl into the first loop, and p through the back leg on the 2nd loop. These will end up being large holes.

This is how I made Row 1.
K2, K2tog. wrap the yarn around once(leaving it in front as if purling) slip one, K1 (this makes the second loop for the YO2) pass stitch over one just knitted, K19, K2tog, wrap once, Sl1, K1, psso,K2.

I hope this helps. Now if I can figure Row 3. I’m going to try adding the 7 stitches as suggested.

Thanks.

Miki3,

When I followed those instructions, I only ended up with 29 stitches but should have 31. Did you end up with 31 and I just made a mistake somewhere?

Lorn23,

Did you do row 1 the same way Miki3 did?

My only concern is that “yfwd” is just simply bringing the yarn to the front of your work, not wrapping it around the needle, correct? Isn’t “yrn” when you wrap the yarn over the needle? Maybe that is what I did wrong per Miki3’s directions. I wrapped the yarn around the needle before I slipped a stitch. My other concern is that “psso” means to “pass the ‘slipped’ stitch over.” If I am increasing a stitch before I knit the stitch to slip over, I am really passing the increased stitch over and not the “slipped” stitch. Does this make any sense?

Thanks so much for the help. Maybe between all of us, we can figure out this crazy pattern. :slight_smile:

Thanks Suzeeq for the info on row one. That worked.

Now here is what I did for row three:
K5, yarn over needle (to make a stitch and bring to front position as if you would be purling), slip stitch, move yarn back to back of work (to knit next stitch), K1, pass slipped stitch over the knitted stitch, K17, K2tog, bring yarn forward but don’t wrap it around the needle…just bring it forward to a purling position, K5.

Not sure if this is what they meant, but it equals 31 stitches.

Please let me know if you think this is right or have a correct/different way to do this row.

As long as there’s only one loop on the needle between the 5 knit sts and the dec sts (skp and k2tog) that should be right. There’s 31 sts both when you start and finish the row.

I did it! I have butterflies!
Knitzy you were right with your formula. Here’s what I did.
Begin every row with 4 K or P sts., add 7 sts after 31sts (3x’s). For last 31sts don’t add 7, just end with 4 K or P. (4+31+7+31+7+31+7+31+4=153)
It came out perfect. Here’s some pictures.

http://www.photoworks.com/members/peppermilomax
(click on pic for larger size)

Thanks for all your help, I am so glad I found this site!!!

I’m so glad to know it works. I finally just put this project down to finish another one I started. I wanted to make sure someone ended up with butterflies! Now I’m motivated to get started again. Thanks for letting us know we’re on the right track.

Not sure if anyone has made it to the border of this pattern yet, but I’m stuck on row three of the top border. After increasing the first two rows to give me 156 stitches, here is how the pattern reads,
“Inc 1 st in first stitch. *yfwd. K2tog. Rep from * to last two sts. Inc 1 st in net stitch. K1.”

If I follow these directions and yfwd after I increase the first stitch, I have an odd # of sts and end with only 1 sts at the end (156-1st stitch=155…2 doesn’t divide into this equally).

I also don’t understand the directions for row 5 where is notes “with MC, inc 1 st in first st.” Here are the complete top border directions. If anyone can help me understand why I’m using the MC again for only 1 stitch and how to make the # of stitches make sense for row 3, I would greatly appreciate it. I have four days to finish this blanket for my niece’s birthday.

Top Border:
1st row: (RS) With A, knit, inc 1 st at center. 154 sts.
2nd row: Inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit 1.
3rd row: Inc 1 st in first stitch. *yfwd. K2tog. Rep from * to last two sts. Inc 1 st in net stitch. K1.
4th row: Purl
5th row: With MC, inc 1 st in first st. Knit to last 2 sts. Inc 2 st in next st. K1.
6th row: Purl
7th row: With A, knit.
Rep 2nd to 7th rows 4 times more, then 2nd to 4th rows once. Cast off knitwise (RS).

“Inc 1 st in first stitch. *yfwd. K2tog. Rep from * to last two sts. Inc 1 st in net stitch. K1.”

This increases 2 stitches, the yfwd/k2tog balance out.

On row 5, I think you’ll be using MC for the whole row. You notice Row 1 starts the same way, only with color A. That’s an indicator to switch colors until it mentions it again.