FAQ....Is your STOCKINETTE CURLING? Here's the solution!

Hello:

I am just learning, and casting on with long tail, it seems like when i go and release and pull it tight, it is not coming out like it should, i am following the video that you have but still not getting the last part and i know i asked this, but should i try doing it with a bigger needle? i had gotten a dark blue yarn and yes it is harder to see on the size 8 needle maybe because the needle is blue as well, i know that sounds crazy.

give me a dog to groom to problem! i really would like to learn how to knitt

Lisa

how to knit it?can you teach me?

Use the videos on this site. Many people have learned to knit from them. Start here - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

You can also do Tubular Stockinette Stitch: #K1, SL1P wyif, rep from # across, for each row, and it will not curl, and also make it double thick. The only downside is you have to caston twice as much, as it gathers. To bind off, use One-over-Two bind-off.

I hope I am not jumping in here at the wrong time, read 4-5 pages then skipped to the last as I need curling help also! I am knitting a scarf with size 8 needles, Vanna glamour yarn and have about 30 rows which has taken me quite a while ! Its knit one row and purl the next etc, (dont know if that is stockinette stitch or what you call it, I simply call it, at this point in my knitting career, knit one row, purl the next) and its curling on the bottom and the sides. This scarf takes 6 skeins of yarn and so will be kinda pricey so I want it nice. On every 10 set of rows, you do yarn overs and k2tg to make a little pattern, should I start over and just knit every row? I dont enjoy purling so if you experienced knitters out there told me it would work, I would be too tickled! Thanks, and once again, new here and hope I didnt type anything wrong, say anything wrong, or speak when it wasnt my turn!

Yes, that is called stockinette. Stockinette without borders always curls. It’s just the nature of the beast. You’ll need a pretty wide border to help counteract that. You can pick up stitches along the edge when you’re done or knit borders as you go. Blocking won’t help too much since its acrylic.

I am knitting a scarf in stockinette stitch. I am almost done with it now, and because its in stockinette the edges are curling. I was told that I could use a crochet hook and crochet a row onto the edges, or pick up stitches on a smaller gauge knitting hook and knit a few rows, and this should make it flat. Is this true? If so, any advice or suggestions is appreciated!

Hi, yes that can help, though it may not get rid of the curling completely along with some type of blocking.

I don’t know if this was mentioned before on this thread, but Techknitter has a nifty way to turn a stockinette scarf into a ribbed one to keep it from curling after it’s knit. Or if you read the link to the previous post in this series, you can just do a drop st and keep it in. She says it doesn’t seem to be necessary to have a 50/50 split between knit and purl stitches.

how do you border your stockinette? Is it done while knitting the main project or is it added on later somehow?

Somebody before reccomended seed or garter stitch, which I understand but at what point do you do one of those?

many thanks!
emily

Depends what your making, but usually for a scarf or blanket, you knit the first few rows in garter or seed stitch, then do the border sts at the beg and end of the rows, so it’s knit along with it. A sweater usually has the first several rows in rib, garter or other pattern; an edge that won’t be seamed may be knit in the border too, or you can pick up sts on that edge and knit a border on which will be sideways to the body of the sweater. Picking up sts on all the edges when finished can be done too on a scarf or blanket.

I am confused! ive knttingthe entire thing and it curls. when you knit in the round it automatically makes it stock-stich right?
please read it carefully.

Yes, if you’re working in the round, knitting all sts every round makes stockinette stitch. The beginning edge will still curl up, but you can do the first few rounds in seed or ribbing, or in garter by knitting a round and purling a round

I find that even when I do a border, my scarf will always curl. I have tried 2 or 3 stitches in garter and seed stitch, and it still always curls. What can I do?

You need more stitches in seed or garter to keep it from curling, maybe 5 or 6, and it still might not lay flat. This article from Techknitter’s blog might give you some ideas, and she has a 4 part series with other solutions that starts here.

I am working with a bulky alpaca wool yarn and had pretty good luck with this solution to my stockinette scarf sides curling:

Purl 1st 2 rows after cast on to keep end from curling.

To keep sides from curling: P1, K1, P1, K1 on the first and last 4 stitches of each row.

Then seed stitch these first and last 4 stitches of each row (so if a knit is facing you, purl it, and if a purl is facing you knit it.)

I always slip the first stitch of each row of a scarf to get a neat edge without the big loopy sloppiness you get if you don’t, so…

Since the first stitch you make on each new row is going to be a purl, begin each row by slipping the 1st stitch (with the yarn in front) purl wise, bring yarn to back and Knit 1, Purl 1, Knit 1. When you get to the end of the row, seed stitch the last 4 stitches (K1,P1,K1,P1)

The result has minimal curl and neat and matching side edges.

GOOD LUCK!

Having a Yarn Jedi for a girlfriend, I knew this was a characteristic of stockinette, but figured ribbing would get me around it. So for my first scarf project I made 60 inches of k4-p2 and STILL… the ends weren’t curling up, but the sides? Well… at the edges ribbing is still stockinette in its heart and soul. File that one under Notes to Self.

So what to do about it? (After the fact, that is.)

Option 1: Deal with it. Yeah, could do that but it’s not optimal.
Option 2: Frog it all and start over. Yeah right.
Option 3: Be extra nice to aforementioned Yarn Jedi girlfriend and ask if she’ll crochet an edge down both sides. (I’m a COMPLETE disaster with a crochet hook… a regular menace in fact. Fortunately Mistress Yoda is totally cool with bailing me out.)
Option 4: (Since December is the busiest time of year imaginable for a Yarn Jedi) Pick up a bazillion stitches along each edge and knit a row or two of something (that’s NOT stockinette) perpendicular to the ribbing. (Up side, no need to trouble Yoda. Down side, scarf is now officially and totally non-reversible.)
Option 4.1: Learn to crochet. At least enough to manage this job.

Obviously this hasn’t been a high-priority issue since I finished the scarf back in … May(?), and it’s now December, so perhaps Option 1 was more workable than I thought.

It will only curl a tiny bit on the edge if you rib. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Mmm… It was more than tiny. Probably a function of too much tension (that’d be my guess, anyway). But whatever the reason, even after blocking it rolled up like a newspaper. Couldn’t have worried me but just so much though, since I haven’t done anything about it yet.

Here’s a link to exhaustive series on curling edges. You’ve hit the high points already although the link leaves out Yoda.