FAQ....Is your STOCKINETTE CURLING? Here's the solution!

It’s the front edge that I slip the stitch not the sides I sew together. It has only three buttons at the top and the edge all the way down is perfectly flat. Of course, the first eight stitches are knit on both sides of the piece, maybe that has something to do with it, I don’t know.

Yes, 8 sts in garter is what keeps the front edge from curling. Slipping the edge st prevents only it from curling and makes a chain along it.

I am having the same problem with the curling. I started this http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTflora.htmljust the other day and I thought that the borders would overcome the curling issue, but unless I hold it flat, it curls in from both sides. Any suggestions? I am using double stranded Caron Country 75% Acrylic 25% Merino.:???:

It may block flatter. Do you knit tight? Sometimes denser stitches will curl more than looser ones.

Well I don’t knit tightly, but not loosely either, so I guess I am in between. I tried the piece with just single strand and it curled as well, and I didn’t like the feel of it, so I thought since the pattern used 3 strand of thin yarn I could use 2 strand of “thicker” yarn. The country is thinner than 4 worsted tho it says “4”. I like the feel of the double strand better, definitely the way to go on this one. Maybe blocking would help…??

I’ve used country, it fluffs up after you’ve knit it, though it’s still on the thinner side. If you’re using it 3 strands of it on size 9s, that does make it awfully dense. Try two strands and block it.

Maybe you missed it - I am using the two strands. So I will block it when done. Which method do you suggest? Just spraying it?

Wasn’t sure if you were following the pattern for 3 strands and was thinking of doing two, or already switched to 2 strands.

I just washed and dried the shawl I made with it. If you want, you can pin it out while it’s damp.

I will do that! I should have it done in the next couple days.
Thanks!

Well my project is finished! I blocked it by saturating it and pinning it out and letting it dry and that helped a little bit. Then I read on the internet that you can steam block acrylic and acrylic blends and I went ahead and did that and that is what really made a difference!:woohoo:

Thanks for all your help!

I have a question about putting a seed border around the stockinette stitch. I know that for a seed stitch you must have an odd number of stitches. The total number of stitches on my needle is an odd number. But my pattern tells me to [I]“establish borders in seed stitch over the first and last 6 stitches”[/I]. Is this right? I’m afraid it will turn into ribbing. So, I thought I’d make sure before I start. If it is right, then when I reach the last 6 stitches, do I start with a purl or with a knit?

You can do seed stitch on even numbers, you just have to pay attention to what the stitches are when you turn. Seed stitch is knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit stitches.

So, if I do 6 stitches of border around the stockinette stitch, it will be something like this:

Row 1: k1 p1 k1 p1 k1 p1 *k1, repeat from * to last 6 sts. k1 p1 k1 p1 k1 p1
Row 2: p1 k1 p1 k1 p1 k1 *p1, repeat from * to last 6 sts. p1 k1 p1 k1 p1 k1

And then I will alternate these two rows.

Is this right?

Yeah, I think that’s right. :thumbsup:

hi!
I have just tried an idea out on a swatch:

if you want to prevent the side of st st from curling, you can do a side “hem edge”. I knit this as “knitting in the round on straight needles” for 5 stitches or so.

Does this have a name? I haven’t seen this before but I do not want to claim that I did invent something new. Most likely it has been done :slight_smile:

I want to use it for cardigans, for example, where an edge of the knitting will show and be exposed.

I’m knitting a “Shifting Sands” scarf where the inside is all cables…And it’s curling on the edges and bottom. Is this because of my tension, or because it’s stockinetteish? Also, it’s acrylic, so would putting a towel over it and ironing make the curling go away? How would I iron this to make the curling go away? Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Hi!
if the edges (bottom and sides) are stochinette, they will curl. If you do not like that, you can give them a border while you knit ( garter stitch, seed stitch, some ribbing…) and so on. If you have already knit a good bit and do not want to start over… try a crochet border around the scarf after you are done.
Or pick up stitches around all edges and knit a garter or ribbing edge or the like.

Blocking on acrylic is not the most efficient, mostly. And do not do it too hot as you may “burn” the fiber.

Even with borders and blocking, I found my stockinette always, always curled. I’ve given up and now when I knit in stockinette, I just knit in the round. Twice as much work and yarn, but it makes for some nice warm scarves with no “wrong” side.

I was aware, when I started my headband project, that stockinette rolls. Actually, I intended to make the whole thing in garter but decided to mix it up, so I cast on 4 stitches to make ties, then increased by two in each row up to to 14 stitches, all in garter. When I started in on the stockinette I made sure to keep two stitches of garter at the start and finish of each row. It is still curling lengthwise. WTF?

Michele

The 2 sts at each side may not be enough to counteract the stockinette curl. You may need more like 4 or 5.