Charity knitting

I haven’t posted for a while. I was busy knitting of course but I am starting to be able to say, although hesitatingly, that one recipient of my endeavours, my beloved husband Mark, passed away suddenly on 26 February 2021. So now there’s just me and occasionally my mum to knit for and I was wondering if there are any UK charities or good causes that need items knitting. I have a big bag of leftover wool and long evenings to get through by myself. I should also add that I need to be able either to post what I knit or for it to be collected as I can’t drive (I’m in Greater Manchester).

1 Like

I’m so very sorry to hear about your husband, Jo_Hamlett.
I’m sure that some of our forum members from the UK will be able to recommend charities that would be pleased to have your knit donations.
In my area, the mid-Atlantic US, local schools and churches are always delighted to receive scarves, hats and mittens for those who don’t have warm clothes.

1 Like

Hello
I’m so sorry to hear if your loss xxx my thoughts are with you.

I found this website which lists various charity knits, I think if you have a look through you might find one which calls out to you.
https://www.ukhandknitting.com/knitting-for-charity/charity-list

I have not looked at all the different options and opportunities there but this one called out to me and I see they take postal donations too. Also they want puppets and monsters for child therapy, and I think those items sound like a good pick if you have lots of left over wool as you can use up all sorts of bits making monster puppets. I love the photos and I can see there is a pattern page too.

After the year we’ve all been through, with so much loss, this sounds like an amazing way to help children with the difficulties they have faced.

And thank you for motivating me to look up this list as it was something that had been in my mind and I had not yet done x

3 Likes

Thanks. I did look at their website but quite a few of the links were no longer valid

Oh I am sorry.
I was just lucky the one I looked at worked and are still taking donations.

1 Like

Blankets and mice for cats?
There is a phone number and email address to arrange donations.
https://www.cats.org.uk/canterbury/support-us/knits-for-kits-calling-all-knitters

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. I was about to suggest cats protection, but you could try RSPCA and Innocent Smoothies (I think they still have the bobble hats for their bottles appeal, or might again in future now that we’re starting to get on top of covid?).

2 Likes

Dear Jo, sending a hug for your loss. My mum used to knit teeny things for the local nicu (neonatal intensive care unit). They loved bright colours but obviously she used baby wool. I am certain there will be someone who would love your work.

4 Likes

I send you a long and lasting hug from another country. And an extra one to put in your pocket for when you need a hug/smile.

I, too, became grandmum of a baby in the nicu. Then I sat down and made ten baby hats - each different. The one the liked best? k2, p2 because it would fit so many heads.

Dull but that’s what they wanted.

3 Likes

I have been in touch with my local maternity hospital and they can use hats and cardigans but especially blankets (bath towel size) so I have a jumper for myself to finish first but then I shall make a start on a baby blanket. That will keep me occupied for a while :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s a wonderful idea. I volunteer at the local children’s hospital and the arrival of handmade blankets is a moment of joy for everyone involved, front desk, nurses and families.

3 Likes

I am far away in Canada and my deepest condolences to you for your loss.
Stay safe, be brave we are all with you
Lots of hugs

2 Likes

I’m so very sorry to hear that you have been through something so devastating, and send you my sympathy and condolences. Lalla

3 Likes

Hullo Jo - I dont know of any but my deepest condolences to you for your loss. Sending yu hugs.

3 Likes

Dear Jo
Condolences on your loss. I thought your post very brave and I do feel for you.
I made some blankets for a charity called The Linus Project. I actually crocheted mine but they suggest sizes and patterns for knitting too. The blankets are sent to hospitals ,special schools etc. I had a lovely email thanking me and telling me exactly where the blankets had been sent. I posted the blankets to them but they might be able to make other arrangements for collection.

3 Likes

Sorry for you loss…my thoughts are with you x

I’ve been knitting hats and toys for knitforpeace@charitiesadvisorytrust.org.uk. They help various groups of people both here and abroad… The website has suggestions of things they might need, with patterns so you can knit anything you want…

2 Likes

Hello Jo_Hamlett, So sad to hear of your husbands passing.
My thoughts are with you from Canada sending you good thoughts. I have often said lighting a candle, and taking time to remember what was before and then snuffing it out to carry on in your journey. This has always been helpful for me. And Knitting! Always the knitting gets me through too. How wonderful to knit for babies, I definitely will do that too. You have inspired me.

3 Likes

That is excellent Jo, nothing like something made with love.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss, it must be devastating. I belong to an online knitting group called Loving Hands which lists a variety of charities requiring all sorts of items which you can post direct to charities or send mixed lots to the group for distribution. There’s also a forum for group members to chat and support one another. It’s really kept me going during the last year. Just search Loving Hands for the website

3 Likes

Thank you. I will.