I just picked up a skein of Lily Sugar’n Cream and decided to try the eyelet dishcloth pattern that was included on the wrapper (also available here – http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=127).

I was doing fine until I arrived at row 15. The instructions read –

K1. Inc 1 st in next st. *yrn. P2tog. Rep from * to last 3 sts. P1. Inc 1 in next st. K1.

So I am stuck on the “yrn” – I have looked in a couple of books and on this site but cannot find it anywhere. A yarn over would make some sense but since I am still kinda new at this I am looking for some help.


I am guessing “yarn round needle” or a yarn over… the pattern I am doing now says “wrn” (wrap round needle) and it is a YO as well.

It’s like a YO. When you go from a k to a p (p2tog) you bring your yarn to the front, over the top and to the front again to purl. That makes the `yarn round the needle’.


You usually find the term yrn in British and sometimes Canadian patterns. You’ll also see wrn (wool round needle). Same thing.