You'd Think I Could Do a Seed Stitch...Help!

Hi everyone…

My name is Chuck and I was hoping I could ask for your help in understanding a section of instructions on a pattern I’m working on It’s just a seed stitch, but I’m not following these directions. The instructions are only a couple of lines long and they instruct you on how to do a seed stitch.

The instructions say:

*over EVEN number of sts
Row 1,3,5,7,9,11: *K1, P1, repeat from *.
Row 2,4,6,8,10,12: *P1, K1, " " *.

*over ODD number of sts
Row 1-12: * K1, P1 repeate from *, end K1.

I don’t understand what they are saying in regardings to the EVEN and ODD number of sts…and all the alternating row numbers they give. First I thought they were referring to EVEN and ODD “ROWS”, but it says “STITCHES”. The EVEN portion mentions rows 1-12 and the ODD portion mentions rows 1-12.

Can you explain what this mean?

Thank you VERY much and I hope everyone here had a great holiday and a wonderful New Year.

Chuck :- ):stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll notice after you’ve done the first two rows that the 1st rows knit sts are purled on row 2 and the purl sts are knitted on row 2.

Basically, you knit the previous row’s purl sts and purl the previous row’s knit sts.

When you complete row 1, it will end with a purl st. So, when you turn the work to begin row 2, you will start with a purl st. Therefore, the odd row numbers will begin with a k1 (1,3,5,7,9…)and the even row numbers will begin with a p1 (2,4,6,8,10…).

With an odd number of sts. you would *k1, p1, repeat from * to last st and K1 at the end of each row. When you turn row 1, you will begin with a k1(opposite of the purl)… with odd number of sts. you will always begin a row with k1, because the last st from the previous row will be a purl after turned.

As Ingrid tells us all, trust the instructions and take it one stitch at the time.

Got it?

To clarify a little further:

If the pattern calls for an even number of stitches, you would K1, P1 on the first row, then P1, K1 on the second and follow that on for the required # of rows.

If the pattern calls for an uneven # of stitches, then you can always just K1, P1 and you will get a seed stitch.

Just knit, it will come to you.

Thank you MWHITE for the quick reply. The way you described doing a seed stitch was the way I was familiar with, but these instructions just through me. I just went out and purchased they yarn to do an Aran sweater and these instructions were part of it.

Do you supose it would be OK to ignore these instructions and go with what you and I are familiar with, or could these instructions be producing a different type of seed stitch?

:- ) Chuck

Welcome to KH Chuck. great to have another male knitter in the group.

The odd and even stitches refers to how many stitches you have cast on and are working. If you have an even number of stitches on the needle then follow those instructions, (like you cast on 20 stitches). If you are working an odd number of stitches, follow those instructions (cast on say 21 stitches).

Hi ya Chuck
They are just trying to confuse you:teehee:
they are telling you if you have a EVEN number of sts (say 20 stitches you cast on) then you are going to do it htis way

If you have a ODD number of stitches (say 17 sts cast on) then you do it this way-Row 1-12

Even just means a even number and odd just means odd number of sts
Because you will work the seed stitch different ways for even number of sts then you would for odd number of sts
Hope I explained it well enough if not I will try again:eyes:

It’s what you’re used to doing, just written in a different way. Seed stitch is seed stitch, some people simply don’t write instructions as well as others.

Thank you Debkcs. I’m looking at the entire pattern again, rather than just the section on the seed stitch. As the piece gets up to the arm section and the shaping begins, it mentions decreasing and “keeping in pattern”. Do you supose that has something to do with the way the seed stitch instructions were worded?

:- )

I just wrote this and before I posted it there were several new replies. Thanks everyone… I’m going back and reading them now.

Ditto to what Mason, Momwolf and Debkcs say, it gets confusing but a seed st is a seed st. I used to think, oh neat, I can do this pattern thing and write my own but it’s a lot easier said than done! Mary

Thanks everyone… I “think” I may understand it now…but let me see if this is correct. As I start the sweater I cast on an even number of stitches. As long as there are an even number on my needles I do the instructions for the *over EVEN number of sts section.

As I begin the shaping and decrease, I will at some point have an odd number of stitches on my needle. At that point I do the *over ODD number of sts section of the instructions.

Is that right?

:- ) Chuck

Yeah that’s pretty much it. Once you start actually making it it’ll make more sense to you and it will be pretty obvious.

Or an even easier way to do it (which I think was mentioned and may be the way you always do it anyway) is if the next stitch look like a knit on the side facing you, purl it. If it’s a purl st, knit it.

Yes I second Suzeeq if you are good at recognising your stitches. Or, if you are knitting flat, then if you knitted the last stitch on the previous row, you make the first st a knit on the next row. (About ‘Seed stitch is seed stitch’ - not always - depends on who is talking, the American meaning of seed stitch is different from the English version: check where your patterns come from, if it is not clear from the pattern what stitch they want)

Well, the 1-12 thing seems like an oversight to me since 12 is obviously not an odd number lol.

Anyway, if you are doing seed stitch over an odd number of stitches, say

K, P, K, P, K, P, K

you begin and end on a knit stitch. When you turn around to go back down the line, you want to purl the knit stitches and knit the purl stitches, so you begin and end with a knit stitch on both sides.

When you have an even number, you will begin the row with one and end with the other K, P, K, P as so.

Not an even or odd number of rows, but even or odd number of stitches. The number of rows isn’t at issue here.

'Twas a typo, I fixed it.

:slight_smile: