YO at the very end of a row?

I’m working on a lace baby afghan and there are 2 directions that have me confused. On one section, it has several rows that I’m supposed to end with a YO. How do I do that so that I can turn the work & knit the next row?

ie:
r1: YO, K1, YO
R2: K3
R3: (YO, K1)3x, YO
R4: YO, K1, YO, (K1, P1)2x, (K1, YO)2x

The next part that I dont’ understand is that I’m asked to do a M1 at the end of the row. How do I do that when you’re supposed to pull the bar up between sts and there’s not another sts?

ie:

R1: K1, (M1, K1)3x
R2: Purl

Thank you!

I don’t know how you’d get a yo at the end of a round, either. I’d probably do it at the beginning of the next row and count it as the end of the previous row.

As for the M1, if it’s followed by a knit, then you would have the bar there. If it’s supposed to be in the last stitch, I think I’d just do an increase in the last stitch.

Thanks, Ingrid. I was doing the yo at the beginning of the next row as well. And knitting into the front & back of the last stitch to make up for that last m1. I just didn’t know if there was another way of doing it.

Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to the pattern? This came up once before and I went and tried it (I’m an experienced lace knitter) and couldn’t figure how any way to make it work. I am suspecting that there may be some other information somewhere in the pattern that might tell you to do something after the YO.

Sure. Here it is. :slight_smile:

If I remember correctly Kim Salazar, the person who wrote the pattern, is the person in charge of WiseNeedle so maybe if you go there and ask you may get the answer. I don’t know if there is an email for her posted there. She does have a blog, String or Nothing on the WiseNeedle site.

There is also a “Community” section where you can ask a question also. Good luck. Let us know if you find out the answer. I’m pretty sure that the last time I saw someone puzzling over this it was because of the same pattern.

A `M1’ can also be a kfb. It’s another way to say increase.

sue

Thanks, ladies. I actually ended up writing her an email and this is what she said (in case anyone else decides to make the Mountain Laurel Crib Counterpane afghan).

Jennifer,

Happy to see that someone is making the thing. It’s been almost nine years since I did ML. The target baby is now in 3rd grade. It’s still in perfect shape, in spite of being dragged around the house for all of the intervening years. In fact, target child was wearing it like a cape this morning at breakfast.

To do a make one at the end of a row - instead of doing a lifted bar increase, use one of the other make one type invisible increases. Knitting into the back of the stitch on the row below immediately after the last stitch works fine.

To do a yarn over at the end of a row, just toss the yarn over the top of the needle like usual. It will look a bit funny, but to anchor the thing on the next row, knit that yarn over into the back of the stitch. It will hold. If you truly detest YO at the end of a row, substitute another open increase for the last (K1, YO) unit. (K1, P1) into the last stitch should work adequately.

For the record, excluding the time it took to make up the pattern, my counterpane went rather quickly. I was working and had only an hour or two to knit in the evenings. I did one or two full motifs each night. I’d wet them and pin them out on my ironing board in the morning, then start the next night’s session by sewing the previous night’s now blocked and dried motifs to the growing blanket. In total, including the edging, the whole thing took me a bit more than a month.

If you get a chance, I’d love to see pix of your finished ML. If you give me permission, I’d even post your pix to String or Nothing for other people to oooh-aaah about.

Best of luck with blanket and baby,

Kim Salazar

Hey, that was fast and very cool. Just for the heckuvit, I looked up the site she mentions and there’s a bunch of tutorials on charts and other things there.

sue

I know this is ancient, but thank you. I just started learning Japanese knitting, and many of their lace patterns end in a y/o. I was going out if my mind trying to figure this out on my own! Again, thank you.