Yfwd question

The pattern repeat is k3,yfwd,s1,k2tog,psso,yfwd,k4. When it says, “yfwd,s1,k2tog”, do I leave the yarn in front when doing the k2tog, or do I move it to the back after the s1? Thanks!

You move it to the back after the sl1. It’s just an old British term for a type of yarn over - indicating that you bring the yarn forward, and then the act of taking the yarn back in order to knit the next stitch creates a yo.

Easier written:
k3, yo, skp, yo, k4

Alot of older patterns detailed out the directions for lack of an abbreviation.

yo, yfwd, and o: all mean to bring yarn forward creating another stitch

skp or ssk: both meant to decrease one stitch.
Ssk: slip two sts, return them to left needle, then knit them together, which places them onto the right needle.
Skp: slip one st onto right needle, knit the next st onto right needle, then pass the slipped st over the knitted st and off the right needle.

f the yo and skp/ssk are balanced within the repeat(equal amounts of skp/ssk’s and Yo/yfwd’s), you have maintained the stitch count.

So skp takes the place of s1,k2tog,psso?

I agree with what the others have said, except I believe that it is k3, O, sk2p, O, k4

where sk2p = slip one, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over. A double decrease to balance the two yarnovers.

No skp is just a single decrease, slip 1, k2tog, psso is a double decrease and is abbreviated as sk2p.

Yes, MMario and Suzeeq are correct…sorry bout that!

And in the balance situation, you’d need two yos to keep the st count the same.

If the stitch count is intended to increase from the yos, balance is not applicable, as is the case when knitting circular projects that will lay flat like shawls, table coverings or blanket.