Yb stitch

I need to know what this stitch is. I know the abbreviation means yarn to the back. But, what does that mean exactly?

Hello, and welcome to KnittingHelp.

Could you either give a link to your pattern (I think you are allowed to give links from your second post onwards) or quote the line of the pattern that is causing you problems, as context can make a difference to the answer.

Many thanks.

ok my pattern is for a knitted scarf with a flower. this is for a loop to be made to slip one end of the scarf thru. Total of 26 stitches now. it reads "Divide for loop front and back. Next row (RS) K1 yf. Slip next stitch onto circular needs. yb Rep from * 12 times more 13 stitches on right hand needle and 13 sts on circular needles. I am assuming yf means yarn over. So am I adding and deleting stitches to keep the 26 total stitches?

What pattern is this from? Without more info it’s impossible to be certain just exactly what is intended. As written it looks to me as if there are no increases. Move the yarn to the front between the needles (no yo), slip the next stitch, move the yarn to the back between the needles (no yo), knit the next stitch. You’ll have a slipped stitch with a bar in front of it.

Welcome to KH!
Sounds like you’re making one of the variations on a keyhole scarf. All you’re doing is alternately dividing the sts between the working needles and a spare circular needle.
Yf is yarn front, yb is yarn to the back. There are no yarn over, increases or decreases. The movement of the yarn is so that you can continue knitting the 13sts for the front part of the loop while placing alternate sts onto the circular needle for the back part of the loop.

Thank you so much for your help. I will work on it tonight.

I got this pattern off yarnspirations titled knitted scarf with flower. Thank you for your help. Sometimes I read too much into patterns. Now that you explained it, it makes sense to me. So thank you again.