Yb, sl next st purlwise, yf, k2, yb, sl next st purlwise, yf

I am having difficulty remembering how to “yarn in front, then knit 2”. Does this mean the same as a yarn over, thereby gaining 2 st.? Thanks

It is not the same as a yarn over. You’ll put the yarn to the back then slip the next stich purl wise and put the yarn back to the front, so around that stitch you slipped, but under the needle…does that make sense?

Not really…after I sl st, then yf, do I put sl st back on left needle and k2?

:?? I see what you are saying - if you put the yf then knit the yarn will end up in the back again. Can you share any more of the pattern you are working on (the row before, this row & the row after) and then how many stitches you should have on the needle…that might help a little so we can figure it out.

Thanks! It’s called, on the pattern, the Crossed Rib pattern, and is as follows;

Rows 1 and 3: (WS) K6, *yb, slip next st purlwise, yf, k2, yb, slip next st purlwise, yf, k3; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.

Row 2: Knit

Row 4: K6, *C4 (Cross 4), k3; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.

Rows 5, 7 and 9: K3, p3, *p1, k2, p4; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.

Rows 6, 8 and 10: Knit

Then pattern repeats Rows 1 and 2 and 1 and 4. Then knit 2 rows dec 3 sts evenly across last row, then new pattern begins.

Also, cast on 100 sts., and knit 3 rows before starting Row 1 of Crossed rib pattern.

:oops: I thought having more of the pattern would help me help you figure this out! :pout: I cast on and tried this but I can’t figure it out either. That yf before the K2 certianly does add stitches but I don’t think that is right.

Can some one else help LJG, please??? :heart:

I’m thinking that there’s something wrong here. If you knit 2 with the yarn in front, you’re going to get yarn-overs.

Rows 1 and 3: (WS) K6, *yb, slip next st purlwise, yf, k2, yb, slip next st purlwise, yf, k3; rep from * to last 3 sts, k3.

I wonder if you changed it to this if it would work:

K6, slip next stitch purlwise with yarn in front, yb, k2, yf, slip next stitch purlwise wyif, k3

Do you have a link?

I have the same patternwhich is not available online. Here is a picture of the tunic and the pattern:

[ IMAGES REMOVE ]

I will try what was suggested and let you know but if you any other suggestions please let me know.

It wouldn’t make sense, I think, to have yf (leading to a yo stitch), because the math doesn’t add up right.

Row 4 has 6 sts + 7n sts + 3 sts (for n repeats of the middle section… if it’s over 100 stitches total, n would be 13). Row 5 (and others) has 3+3 sts + 7n sts + 3 sts. There’s no decreasing, so row 1 has to have a repeat pattern over 7 stitches, without increasing. A slipped stitch + k2 + slipped stitch + k3 makes 7 stitches; sl + yo + k2 + sl + yo + k3 would be 9, which means you’d run out of stitches on row 4.

(so I’d probably do what Ingrid suggested… and see what happens :wink: )

Yeah, it could be a typo where they mixed up the yf and yb.

The “yb” and “yf” shoudl not increase the number of stitches that you have on your needle. They simply mean to bring to take your yarn to the front or back of your work between the needles to wrap around the slipped stitch.

I hope that this helps!:knitting:

Yes, but if you bring the yarn forward, then knit the next stitch, it creates a YO, and the pattern doesn’t call for an increase in the number of stitches.

yf - bring the yarn to the front or [COLOR=“Red”]right side [/COLOR]of your work between the needles
yb - bring the yarn to the back or [COLOR=“red”]wrong side [/COLOR]of your work between the needles

There are no increases, otherwise the pattern would indicate that. I have knit this pattern several times and it does work.

Then what happened when you brought the yarn to the front and k2 sts?

Because rows 1 and 3 are the wrong side - it is facing you - when the yarn is taken to the front of the work - away from you - you can then just knit the 2 stitches - it is not a yarn over, just between the needles - no increased stitches.

I wish that I could post a video to show it.:knitting:

Generally when a pattern says to move the yarn to the back or the front, they mean the side that is facing you is the front. But apparently this one means the front to the be the RS? That’s different…

yes - yf - yarn to the front of work- is the right side of your work
yb - yarn to the back of work- to the wrong side of your work
:knitting:

I just got out my stitch book and according to the instructions for a cross-stitch block you would yf, slip, yb, knit. Then every few rows there is a cable cross. It is recommended for slightly bulky jackets or coat sweaters.

Which is kind of what the pattern says, but as khaosx5 clarified (and the pattern explains in the Abbreviations section), “yf” is bringing the yarn to the [I]front of the work[/I], not necessarily the front as the knitter is looking at/working it. Since Row 1 starts as a WS row, the front (public) side is physically the back as you are knitting the odd rows. It certainly would have been easier to go a little more standard with the directions, though - very confusing!