Yarn

Hello fiber friends,

I’m trying to get started on birthday and Christmas gifts for this fall and winter and could use advice. I’m not knowledgeable of different yarns for structure, wear and that type of thing. I know RHSS seems to pill a lot as does ILTY.

What yarns do you like that are good and sturdy, yet cushy and comforting. I’m thinking slippers or fingerless gloves as gifts. I believe wool would be good for slippers though not sure which breed is best for slippers. The other thought is some can’t wear wool so would there be a good substitute?

Any thoughts on yarns would be greatly appreciated; good, bad, what you like to use them for or not to use them for.

Thank you
Tammy
:knitting:

I like Plymouth Encore and Cascade Pacific for acrylics or acrylic blends. Cascade 220 is a wonderful wool that resists pilling. Rowan Calmer works up beautifully as does Heilo and Drops Alpaca.

Knit Picks Brava is all acrylic but feels like merino wool. You can find it at KnitPicks.com

I just completed a scarf out of bamboo (BambooSpun from Hobby Lobby). Everyone has ooh and ahhhed over how soft it is. This is my first time using it, so can’t say how it holds up…I’m just learning knitting myself.