Yarn over?

Is there a difference between YO, YRN, YFWD? Is there a difference in how you execute them or are they just different ways to indicate the same thing?

I found a pattern that uses YFWD and YRN. That makes me think there is a difference.

Here is the pattern http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3165

Thank you in advance

YFWD would be used if you’re working a YO between knit stitches–the yarn essentially is just brought forward and the next stitch is knit from there.

YRN is yarn round needle, and I’d guess that it’s used before a purl or between purls.

In any event, the result is the same as if they just said YO.

I couldn’t get the pattern to load, so it’s hard to be specific.

What Ingrid said, YF is between knit sts, YRN is from a knit to a purl, YON is from a purl to a knit. But they’re all YOs. There’s also a glossary on the site - www.bernat.com/glossary

So does this mean I am executing them differently? For example, I would bring the yarn over the needle from the back to the front on one and then from the front to the back on the other?

Did I get that right?

YEs, it describes what you do with the yarn based on the stitch you just did and which st you need to do next. It can be very confusing if you’re not used to it. It’s common in british patterns and older US ones.

Yep, you’re basically doing the same thing, the only difference is whether or not the yarn is starting in the front or the back (knit or purl).

Here is a really good article explaining the whole issue of the different designations. LINK The part that starts something like, “So, um, what is this yfwd thing?”, will be of interest.

My favorite video for each “type” of yarn over