Yarn from flowers?

Is there any way of making spinnable fibre from poppies? Probably not, but I got curious about what flowers you can harvest fibre from for spinning. I know you can use sunflowers and roses. I figure poppies might be too soft or something.
If not, can you make a natural dye with poppy petals?

Hmm, interesting. @mullerslanefarm is this possible?

@Shintoga The fiber from roses is obtained from the stems, not the flowers themselves, it is probably also true with the sunflowers. This is true with most bast fibers such as flax and milkweed.

I looked in my “Natural Dyes and Home Dyeing” book (Rita J. Adrosko copyright 1971 ISBN 0-486-22688-3) searching for dye recipes using poppies (or Papaveroideae) and didn’t find anything.

If you’re looking for a natural red dye, I suggest madder, cochineal, brazilwood, camwood (aka barwood), alkanet, annatto, gum-lac, safflower, or pokeberry. It’s important to use the correct mordant to extract the red from the material … these could be either a base or an acid and sometimes both.

Wish I could help more.

Thanks, I was thinking about poppies specifically because we had to have one of our dogs put to sleep on Monday (sorry to be a downer!) and that was her name.
I had a little bit of her fur and thought, when I get round to spinning properly I could comb it in with something else, preferably poppy fibre, as it would have been nice to have a yarn derived from her namesake.
I did know about stricking, I should have made that clear in my first post. I meant rose/sunflower stems rather than the flowers themselves :slight_smile: I’m still pretty new to this stuff anyway!

I’m not sure about the structure of the poppy stems, if there would be enough cellulose to create a fiber. Sure would be a fun experiment though! I’ve only worked with creating fiber from raw milkweed and Spanish moss from the retting, breaking then spinning the fiber.