Wrap and turn at beginning of 1x1 rib

Hi there, I have used this forum a couple of years ago and found it very helpful, thank you.I hope you can help me with this pattern.

I am currently knitting the right front of a cardigan which incorporates the button band. The pattern states to wrap and turn at the beginning of row 3, on the first stitch? I am at a loss as how to do this as it doesn’t seem to make sense. I would be most grateful for some help with this. I have added the pattern below.

Thank you

Ann

You’ve turned the work after r2 and will be working toward the band stitches. When you get to the first stitch of the band, don’t knit it. That’s the stitch you wrap, then turn leaving the 5 band stitch unworked on the needle. Does that make help it make sense?

What pattern are you doing?

2 Likes

I agree, it’ll help to know the pattern name and designer.
GG, do you think the direction at the end of row 2 to “Work 5 band sts in 1x1 Rib.” is a mistake?

3 Likes

Hi GrumpyGramma, Thank you for your prompt reply, I was thinking the first stitch of the band was the very first stitch on the left needle. The first stitch of the band would actually be the 5th stitch along the left needle is that correct?
This is the pattern.
Thank you
Ann him

Hi Salmonmac, thank you.

The pattern was purchased online through Etsy from The Weekend Knitting Co. Pattern ‘Wonderland Fisherman’s Rib’ cardigan.

It looks as though row 2 should end having worked the body sts in Fisherman’s Rib up to the last 5sts. Ignore the Band sts sentence that comes next.
Go on to Row 3 where you wrap the next stitch of the band as GG suggested and turn to work a right side row (RS) of Fisherman’s Rib across the body.

1 Like

Woah, that messed my head up for several minutes.

Looks to me like row 2 and 4 should be switched as row 4 cannot lead onto row 1 for the repeat in addition to row 2 not making sense before row 3.
The w&t info in row 3 should come at the end of row 4 which is now row 2.
And if the wrap is to be resolved before working the rib this should be on row 2 which is now row 4.

The cast on number looks kind of odd for the different sizes and the set up distribution only allows for the first size and not the others. Looks like this pattern could do with a few corrections.

Here’s what I think
Row 1. RS work rib, work body
Row 2. WS work body, wrap first stitch of rib, do not work rib, turn
Row 3. RS work body
Row 4. WS work body, resolve wrap, work rib

Also the button hole in the bottom hem doesn’t make sense on row 8. Row 8 is a wrong side row and the yo k2tog should be a right side row. I would place it in row 9 which is a right side row and also this makes the holes evenly distributed, row 9, 25, 41, 57 they are 16 rows apart and always take place on a row 1 of the 4 row sequence.

1 Like

Could be a mistake. I really couldn’t say one way or the other. I was just reading for short row directions.

ETA I reread the pattern lines and I think the rib is OK but there’s definitely something wonky. I think @Creations is right that the rows are out of order or something like.

A picture of the cardigan might be helpful. I couldn’t find the pattern at all. Etsy makes me crazier.

1 Like

No wonder I have trouble reading patterns and work from charts if at all possible. I’d never pick up on those things at all. My head is spinning and my eyes are crossed :anguished_face:. I’m glad others here can figure this stuff out.

2 Likes

GG i think you would have knit it the way I’ve written it, because you know what you’re doing.

The pattern looks messed up. My head was spinning too.

1 Like

I can’t find either The Weekend Knitting Co. nor “Wonderland Fisherman’s Rib” pattern on Etsy. I hate their Search feature, which always seems to bring up anything with any one word in it that matches.

Can you post the pattern photo? It would help if we could see what is intended. It seems odd to me that you only knit half as many rows on the band as on the body.

Etsy has become notorious for not vetting patterns and allowing AI patterns. It’s never clear if reviews posted on a pattern page actually refer to that pattern, or to the Etsy shop in general.

I finally found The Weekend Knit Co. (not “Knitting”) on Etsy, but they only have 2 cardigans in Fisherman’s Rib, neither of which says “Wonderland”. Is it one of these?

2 Likes

Hi ColoCro,
Thanks for having a look, it’s the second photo, orangey/brown.

I have since received this reply from The Weekend Knit Co in answer to my query. Do you think it makes sense?

‘For the Right Front, after Row 2 you will have turned at the marker, leaving the Band stitches unworked.

Row 3 (RS): Starting from the point where you turned, work only the Body stitches to the end of the row. The Band stitches are not worked on this row.

Row 4 (WS): Work back across the Body stitches to the marker, slip the marker, then work the 5 Band stitches in 1x1 rib.

The intention of the short-row sequence is that the Band is left unworked during the turn and then rejoined on Row 4, creating the shaping along the front edge.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need any further clarification.’

I’ve seen this in video tutorials and it is logical for any fabric stitch which has a different gauge to the ribbing on the button band. On this it’s 2 fabric (fishermans rib) rows per buttonband row (regular rib) and on some stitch patterns it might be a different ratio, it allows for a cable or lace with different gauge to be worked at the same time as the buttonband without distorting either section.

2 Likes

That makes sense. You only need one short row turn per the 4 row repeat. The point of the short rows here is to compensate for the difference in height between the buttonband rib and the Fisherman’s Rib (the row gauge).

1 Like

It’s great you got a reply and the reply does make sense (it’s the same as the 4 row suggestion I gave) but you might reply to the designer to tell them this is not what is written in the pattern. As this sounds like a real designer they will likely be grateful for someone to bring their attention to it so they can make corrections. It’s one if those things that can be overlooked in proof reading but which causes great confusion trying to follow it.

It’s a lovely snuggly looking cardigan.

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. It’s great that you are able and willing to take the time and your knowledge to reply.

I am just now looking at the designers reply and wondering what it means by ‘the marker’ after row 2, and ‘slip the marker’ on row 4?

1 Like

There’s no marker in the pattern, it’s another assumption made by the designer and not explicitly stated.
If you decide to reply you can mention this too.

The expectation is to place a marker between the band and the body to remind you to stop knitting there. I feel the change in stitch pattern, and it being 5 stitches is enough to be able to recognise where to stop. I also feel a marker would get in my way for the wrap and turn. It’s personal choice though, i generally like markers a lot but just wouldn’t use one here.

Would it help if i rewrote my previous 4 row instruction with a marker included? I don’t mind editing it if it’s useful.

Thanks for that clarification!

1 Like