Work at the same time?

I’m working on a vest for my dad for Christmas, and I’ve just gotten to the V-neck split. The pattern says to “Attach new skein of yarn, Bind off center 7 stitches, and work sides at the same time.”

I am working flat on a circular needle. How do I knit two pieces at the same time on the same needle?

Thank you!

You will work whatever # of stitches it asks for the start that row, then leave that yarn attached, and attach ANOTHER ball of yarn at the same place. Use the NEW ball of yarn and proceed to bind off the center stitches. Then continue on, working to the end of the row. Turn it around and purl back (or whatever your wrong side row instructions are). When you get to the middle stitches that are bound off, you will then move back over to the first ball of yarn and work the wrong side of the other side of the V-neck. It will make SO MUCH SENSE once you start doing it. I hope that my description has been helpful.

To sum it up in a nutshell, you will have a seperate ball of yarn for each side of the neck, and you just happen to be working them on the same needle, even though at this point they are really seperate entitites (ie. the two sides will never again be joined)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help!! I will give this a try and see what happens!

:smiley:

I just tried what you said in a trial way, and it does completely make sense. :happydance:

My only question is where do I attach the new ball of yarn?
On my trial piece I just held it in, but it’s not really attached. :doh:

You can just hold it in back and start knitting with it, then weave the end in securely later, OR I usually weave the end in a ways FIRST, right next to where I will be starting to use it. Either way works.

It works!! :cheering: :smiley: :cheering:

Thank you again!! :smiley: