Wool yarn

Is there a way to tell if yarn is 100% wool? I lost the label and am not sure. I don’t want to knit a swatch and wash it because I might not have enough yarn then.

well i don’t know about being able to tell if it is 100% but you could do a test like the felted join and see if a couple of small pieces felt together. It won’t show 100% wool necessarily but around 85%+ or so i would think.

The burn test works, too. Burn the end–acrylic will melt, wool won’t. Someone also posted that wool will melt in bleach, so you might want to put a piece in and see what happens.

I second the bleach idea. When I was a teen, I sewed and competed in a “Make it with Wool” contest every year. You had to supply a 4x4" swatch of each wool used in your piece. They would soak it in 100% bleach, and if anything was left, it wasn’t 100% wool. The only thing is, I don’t know how long you have to soak it. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Cool Ingrid,I tried the burn test and boy does that work good :shock: It burns and then it desinigrates to nothing.I tried it first on some real wool to see what it would do.Thanks for the great tip :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
It smells just like burns hair :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: