Winston-Salem, NC

I am desperately looking for a pro knitter in my area. I’m 5 months preggo and have been knitting a blanket for my new little one!
Unfortunately, I dropped a stitch recently and could not for the life of me fix it. So I took it to a local knitting shop for help. She kept it over night and sent it back to me “fixed” but when I just picked it back up to work on it, it was clearly not fixed. Now I’m in a bind because I have 15+ hours in this blanket already and have no idea where to begin to try and fix it. I think taking it back a few rows would help but I have never done that before. Anyone have contacts in my area that I could get it touch with to get some help fixing this blanket to save me from completely starting over?

Welcome!
There may well be someone on the forum who is in your area. Meanwhile, can you tell us which pattern you’re doing or give us a link to it?

There is the link to the pattern. It’s a multi color chevron stripe blanket.

These ripple afghans are always so pretty.

1. Assuming the dropped stitch is in the garter stitch portion of the pattern, here’s a video for picking up sts in garter stitch
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hD2FWryZ9vU

2. Another way is to thread a 8-10 inch piece of the same color yarn through the loop of the dropped stitch and then weave in the ends over several sts. Or you can pick up the dropped stitch as far as you can go as in the video abova and then tie it off with a length of yarn ane weave in the ends. Any loose sts will work their way into their neighbors with a bit of a sideways tug.

I really wish I would have asked around for help before taking it to a local yarn shop.

The dropped stitch was on the second row of the pattern and was actually a casted on stitch from the previous row.

Now that I have gotten it back from the shop who “fixed” it, I have no earthly idea where the mistake is now. It seems that it was just a simple dropped stitch that needed to be picked back up but she said she ended up having to go multiple rows back to get it fixed. I should have known right then that there would be a problem. Anyway, once I started knitting where they left off the number of stitches on the row was all messed up.

I have a feeling it’s going to have to be undone a few rows to get it back on track this is just not something I am familiar with at all especially since they aren’t just the simple knit and purl stitches that I was so used to before starting this pattern. :frowning:

Yes, it sounds moe complcated than just knits and purls.
There is a way of going back one stitch at a tme, called tinking, that is tedious but may be called for here.

It would take more patience than i have to do this over more than a row or two, however.

For the future, a lifeline every so often can be a lifesaver for this kind of pattern

It takes some digging back, but just about any dropped stitch can be fixed if it really, really needs to be. Otherwise, tying it off is a good option if the pattern doesn’t need it…

On a ripple, I can see that would cause annoying problems up the line. You can sneak in an increase wherever you need one. Count your stitches in each repeat. Figure out where the missing one (or ones) should be. Increase there and you should be good (I’d probably do a “make one” increase to hide it better.)
If all else fails, there are always crocheted appliques! It’s not a mistake, it’s a design feature…:wink: Remember, you’re making this blanket with love, and that’s all your little one will think of it. Nobody that size snuggles up under a Mom-made blanket and thinks “Aw, she dropped a stitch back here.”

Very true and sweet. But being a beginner with a blanket that was given back to me completely messed up by the person trying to fix the dropped stitch for me, I have no idea where to even start as the row I am on was given back to me with the wrong amount of stitches in it that need to be. I’m still just assuming that taking it back a few rows will be the best bet to get past whatever mistake the lady added to it.
I wish I was good enough to just keep going and move past the mistake but I am to the point that I don’t know how to proceed at all. :frowning: