Why knitting is good for you

According to a recent news report knitting is good for the brain and can help fend off memory loss and symptoms of dementi. Hoorah for knitting! :yay:

here is a link to the full story from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7896441.stm?lss=

That is cool…

:roflhard: :blooby: :blooby: :roflhard: :poke: :eyes: :woohoo: :yay: :happydance: :x:

I should do some knitting then, too bad I can’t remember where I left my needles…

They’ve obviously never come across Therapi then … :rofl: :heart:

that’s nice n cool …thnsk for the info

:yay:

Thank goodness!:woohoo:

I have come to the realization that knitting is making my butt look big!:teehee:

And here I thought knitting was just making me a nicer person. You know the whole zen thing. I’m the whole I knit so I don’t kill you type. It completely calms me. Which is really good for my migraines on a biofeedback level.

Its good to know that it helps my memory.

:roflhard:

I haven’t done a lot of research on this, but, I’ve heard also that knitting can help prevent arthritis…

I think my stash would beg to differ :wink:

I was told this by my dr. I have some issues going on and I see a rheumatoid dr and I was told that knitting helps.

That makes sense to me because it would keep your joints limber and from stiffening up. The only thing you have to be careful about is not getting carpal tunnel! :slight_smile:

This is a great excuse, however, for indulging my hobby. “Why did I bring more yarn home honey? Well, I’m keeping my brain healthy.”

I think, and I could be wrong, that the benefits regarding arthritis are more from Continental style as opposed to others. I know one of the things that encouraged me to learn continental was because I had to teach the Seniors at the home where I worked in Physiotherapy how to knit Continental as opposed to their ‘old’ method… and they had loads of styles of knitting and I ended up teaching them all Conti.

I know the “throw/British” style knitters had the worst shoulder problems.

But I will agree that it is great for mental acuity.

I am a new hairstylist, I am building a clientelle, so I’m using just sitting. Knitting helps the time go by.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]A very interesting story…
I’m knitting but in my past life I have quilted, painted, carved, collected… and done Xwords… and I think it really matters.
I do Xwords all the time because I have some memory loss and I don’t want it to get worse.
Trying to follow a pattern in knitting takes all my faculties as I get lost so easily… hence I have also become quite proficient at frogging and tinking… LOL!:teehee:
I so agree that keeping the brain active and involved is terribly important.
TEMA[/COLOR]

Gr8 n nice news, thnks

I’m going to print that out, make copies and start handing it to people who ask me why I do “that”. :roflhard:

I knit because it calms me down, gives me peace and makes me happy. And it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I complete a project.

And as my sig says, it’s saving my sanity!

I have brain training and one of the tips it gave me was that I should knit because it activates the prefrontal cortex (I think it was the PFC that it said!) I actually think knitting is doin my brain better than the game to be honest, wish I had time for more - only 4 months left and then I will graduate, let the knitting commence!