Why did my pattern flip???

patterns

I’m a beginner, only been knitting for about a month, and decided to create a simple pattern (Row 1: k2, p2, k2, p2…
Row 2: k34…)
scarf as my first project. It was going great but then for some reason my pattern flipped. I counted the stitches and it’s still the same exact pattern just with the right/wrong sides flipped. I’ve decided to continue because I couldn’t figure out what was wrong but I would like to fix it if I can. Thank you so much!

• Gianna

I can’t quite tell what you wrote, but in looking at the photo it looks like you alternated ribbing and garter stitch… is that correct? What you likely did was started the ribbed section on the back side of the work so it would be opposite.

You’ve probably noticed that each stitch has two sides. One side looks like V’s (the knit side) and the other is bumpy (the purl side). So when you rib you knit the knits and purl the purls. So when you start out k2, p2 you will reverse that on the other side and start with purls. Throwing in the garter probably made it hard to tell which side was the front since ribbing looks the same on both sides. I suggest putting a removable stitch marker on the front of your knitting so you’ll know if you need to add another row of garter before starting the k2, p2.

Does that make any sense?

If I had to guess what went wrong, my guess would be that you got your K2, P2 Row mixed up with your Knit row.

Like this: you started out doing K2, P2 on the odd rows (rows 1,3,5,etc) and the Knit across rows on the even rows (rows 2,4,6,etc).

But st some point things got switched around and you started doing the rows on the opposite sides. If you want to start over I would recommend putting some sort of stitch marker on the first stitch of Row 1 so you will know which row should be K2, P2. Every few rows, you will have to move that marker up the side of the scarf. But then every time you see that marker at the beginning of a row you will know that is the K2, P2 row.

Hth,
Knitcindy

Thank you :blush:

Was the border near the bottom of the scarf intentional? Otherwise it looks like you got switched around for a few rows there too.