Which is it? (Feather & Fan pattern)

I’d like to use the feather and fan stitch pattern for something, but I found two different variants of the pattern on line (might explain why I’ve had problems with this pattern in the past…I might’ve been using an incorrect pattern! :figureditout:

Firstly, is this a pattern with a multiple of 18 stitches (plus any extra for a border, of course)? I just wanted to make sure because these patterns differ.

Okay, on to the pattern. Both patterns say that rows 1, 3, and 4 are knitted (easy enough!), so they differ on row 3:

One pattern says:
(knit 2 tog) 3 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 6 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 6 times, (yo, k1) 6 times, (knit 2 tog) 3 times

The second pattern says:
[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times

So which pattern is right? (Personally, I hope that the second one is right…it’s less to remember! :teehee: )

I don’t mind knitting up a swatch to see which one is right, but frankly, I have so many projects in the works right now, to knit up something that might be wrong just seems like such a waste of time…a very precious commodity. I was just wondering if anybody here has knitted this pattern and knows which one is right.

I’ve never done feather and fan, but it looks to me like the 1st one is just a wider version of the 2nd one. I guess the second is 18 stitches, the 1st is a multiple (I think 3x?)

They’re the same - the second one starts and ends with [k2tog] 3 times, so when you repeat it, you get the 6 times from the first pattern.

they’re the same, if you look at what you wrote, pattern 1 is really just pattern 2 repeated a few times.

seems like every feather and fan that i have done has also had a purl row in there. :thinking:

Some have a purl row and some don’t. I kind of like it as a 6 row repeat with an extra row before or after the purl ridge.

sue

I’m doing a feather and fan that’s coming out really nicely, it’s a 6 row repeat:

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: F&F pattern, the same as you typed out above
Rows 4-6: Knit

Thanks everybody! I looked at both patterns closely, and I couldn’t see that the one was a repeat of the other :doh: So I’m glad I asked everybody! :muah:

Yeah, that’s the one I prefer, only I think it’s purl on row 4, knit on rows 5 & 6. That makes one purl ridge.

sue

I am working a feather and fan that is a little different…

Row 3: Feather and Fan
Row 4: Knit

It is very pretty. And really, really easy to remember!
:cheering:
Misty

That’s the most common one. I like a little more space between the ridges so prefer the 6 row variation.

sue

yup… that’s the one i have done. I usually just put a marker on the pattern side so i know what i need to be doing and just no brain it! good pattern. :wink:

This is the one I am using on a blanket:

Row 3: Feather and Fan
Row 4: Knit

The feather and and fan row is this one:
[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times.

Feather and Fan is a pretty pattern that is easy to remember and open to lots of variation.