WHich is best?

Hi, I have always wanted to knit. I have begun to teach myself using the videos from this site. My question is which method (continental, english, american, etc) would be the best to learn. I have decided I prefer the the double continental cast on. I am trying to get the feel of holding the thread and learning the knit stitch, but I feel so overwhelmed by all of the different techniques.

I would love your seasoned advice!!:slight_smile:

which is best is entirely up to you. It is a very individual thing and some people will find they take to one method quicker than an other. try a variety of methods and do which ever feels best to you.

Which is best depends solely on the knitter you ask, and what you decide is best for you.

I learned basic knitting English style, but never went anywhere with it. In the meantime I learned to crochet and did that for many years. A while back I decided to get serious about knitting, so took it up again. I got frustrated by the English style, it seemed terribly slow compared to crochet so I opted to re-teach myself using Continental.

It did take some practice, but overall I found Continental much faster with less hand/finger movement. For me, I think the years of crochet made Continental easier for me to get the hang of.

With either method, I felt completely uncoordinated and dorky trying to “drive” the needles and get the hang of tensioning the yarn in the beginning. It’s normal. But once you practice and get your hands used to making the motions, sooner or later it will become second nature. I promise :slight_smile: Just have patience, don’t expect perfection to start, and keep practicing.

Thanks for your advice…I’ve been sitting here practicing. This is going to take alot more practice…but it is fun.

Just play with the yarn for a while - don’t try to `make’ anything but just a sampler. After you feel more comfortable with the sts and tension, then if you want, you can try out another style and see which you prefer.

One is [U]definitely[/U] not better than the other. It’s all personal preference and what works for you.

I second Sue’s advice! Make a bunch of samplers, using a different style after two or three of them, and see what feels the most comfortable. Give yourself some time to explore one before you try another though, it does take some time to get the hang of it.

As said above, neither is better, it’s just what suits you.

I’m definitely aiming to be able to do both, especially since right now I’m learning to do Fair Isle two handed. (I’m reeeeaaaallly slow at it, but it’s getting faster, and I’m really enjoying it.)

Re: cast-on, different cast-ons work for different sorts of stitches and various articles of clothing – I’m going to try out German Twisted Cable next, or maybe the Channel Island!

I have to agree with Sideways. I taught myself how to knit English and it was HORRID experience. I dropped it and then taught myself to crochet. I did that for about 10 years. But I still wanted to knit. So I picked up English again and while this time I could do it (I think learning to handle yarn with crochet helped.), it was still not enjoyable. Still I stuck with it for a year at a snail’s pace and then found KnittingHelp and learned about Continental Knitting. I retaught myself and haven’t looked back. I even taught one of my coworkers this method after she struggled with English but was also a crochetter. I think it is more natural, especially if you crochet as well.

I was a crocheter first and I didn’t feel comfortable knitting continental so I knit english. I can do both for fair isle, but english is way more comfortable. Try both see what works for you.

Yeah, I crocheted for decades long before I learned to knit, too, and Continental has always defeated me (mainly on the purl)! Learning Fair Isle two handed has been good for me too, like Jan, because it allows me to give the left hand a break every now and again, and of course there’s little to no purling in most Fair Isle! :slight_smile:

As human beings, we feel more comfy with “rules”, but to be honest, there aren’t that many in knitting – whatever gives you your finished product really is what goes!