What would you do with this remaining yarn?

Horay! Lets hear it for my fully finished cardigan! And also the lovely people on here who helped with the battlefield that was the pattern.

So I have a good amount of the yarn remaining and I’m very back on forth about what to knit with it.
The yarn is pure silk. I’m going to hazard a guess that it falls somewhere between a fine and light fingering weight. I unravelled a piece of knitwear for the yarn, so I think it falls somewhere between there.

There’s 303g’s left of it which is a fair amount. There’s lots of options, single stranded aswell as holding 2 strands together. The only thing that isn’t my own personal taste is knitted socks and gloves.

I am back and forth on a beanie but, I used a 3mm (the smallest that’s in my set) for the ribbing on my cardigan and it is slightly too loose (for that garment it’s perfect) I know for a beanie I’d want a tighter gauge (chiaogoo mini needles are what I plan to get in the future) things like sweaters and cardigans I would always use less yarn than the pattern states as I’m so small the arms and body are shorter,

The choices of what to make…what would you make with 303g of pure silk yarn?

1 Like

Yay for finishing your cardigan! (Photo please)

300g sounds like a good amount left over. I would weigh up 50g and measure how many meters that is so that whatever pattern you consider you can do the maths to work out the approx meterage needed for that pattern (based on how many balls or grams are needed of the suggested yarn and how many meters per ball/grams that yarn gives).

If it was mine I’d look at tops, vests, slipovers, tanks, waistcoats. Something I could wear separately or even pair up with the cardigan.

Or maybe a longer tunic, you could combine with another yarn to hold 2 strands together?

Here it is, at last! It’s currently drying after another wash, the yarn has been through alot and you can tell it’s very stretched out, that and being silk. I can see why knitters don’t take silk on unless they want a battle!

50g balls is a good idea, but each one I have is either under or over 50g since I’m not sure if I’m going to do single or double stranded I won’t even them out. Most of it is still double stranded but one is single stranded, I’ve separated them as I’ve needed them for the cardigan.

Ahh I didn’t think of women’s patterns to adapt, that’s certainly food for thought! I do take a mens XS which isn’t easy to find in knitting patterns. I think it’s going to be a case that most if not all patterns I find I’ll have to rework most of it to fit me, but that’s knitting isn’t it? You can see what the yarn is like in one of the photos aswell…very beautiful, Is it a common thing where knitters have yarn but struggle to know what to do with it? :laughing: :rofl:

5 Likes

Stunning sweater and yes, gorgeous yarn even in photos. Well worth the effort on all the fine details.

1 Like

So true! It’s taken months from start to finish but I’m glad I did it, even unravelling the original cardigan. The yarn I have left over I did think about rewriting the pattern for this (The body is knitted in one complete piece) so it’s all in separate pieces so it’s much more tailored, but I’m not too sure I like the idea of that with the same yarn. I think I might have enough for a beanie and holding 2 yarns together…hmm, all the choices!

2 Likes

Deepest and sincerest apologies from me for making gender assumptions. I should not have.

Although it’s true you can adapt a woman’s pattern if you are small. There are some great t-hirts and vests which are modeled on women but are gender neutral in my opinion (I made a sweater for my son with a girl’s pattern which I considered gender neutral). But let me try to even out my gaff a little with some men’s patterns

Obviously depend on what gauge you need with he single or double yarn.

With regards the meterage. I did not mean to cut the yarn into 50g balls. I think you are right not to cut it until you need to. What you can do is unravel some onto a kitchen weighing scale h til you get to 50g. Don’t cut it, just put an easily removable slip knot in the spot between the 50g on the scale an he rest of the yarn not on the scale. Then measure the meters of the 50g. Once you know approx how many meters you have in total you can use the info to work out if a pattern will be possible.
I switch yarns for every pattern but always base my approximation on meters not grams.

Your cardigan looks great. Gorgeous yarn.
And yes I always struggle to work out what to make with the yarn I have.

2 Likes

No need to apologise, Male knitters are hard to come by, even more so for knitting pure silk cardigans :rofl: I either go full gothic with all black, skulls, all sorts…or pure silk jumpers, scarves and teddy bears :laughing:Some of those are really nice thankyou! I think you’re right there about taking a womens pattern and adapting it. I think that’s what I may have to do, Mens patterns are…tricky as I’m sure you’re well aware…

Good call on that, I managed to weigh 1g of yarn which came to over 3m, so single stranded I should have about about 1,800m and double stranded about 900m which is helpful and it’s a fair amount!

I think alot of me being unsure is the lack of mens patterns in general. But I’m prepared to learn and adapt patterns.

2 Likes

Yes that’s a lot of yarn, it could possibly manage a long sleeve sweater.
It’s almost impossible to find a pattern to fit my son, he is just a teen now but knitting patterns seem to leap from small child to grown adult. Add to that he is a petite slim build. One sweater I made age 3 to 4 years, he was about 11 at the time, I lengthened the body and sleeves but the circumference of upper arm, chest, neck etc all fitted!
There are lots of women’s patterns I consider gender neutral, I think the site I use most (Drops, I’m just comfortable there) uses more female models when they could be listed for men too.

2 Likes

Ahh that’s the same build as me. I know the struggle only too well! If he would wear a cardigan I can send you the link to the one I used, it’s really lovely.

I am thinking a sweater aswell, It’s just biting the bullet on picking one and going with it

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m not allowed to make him another yet, he wants to wear what he has while they still fit, his growth spurts send him upwards rather than outwards. He does like cardigans but bright multi-coloured, multi-patterned. It’s fun knitting for him.

2 Likes

If another one is snuck into his wardrobe, will he know? Ahh that’s the thing, this pattern you can do all sorts with it so who knows! Or maybe one may get shrunk in the wash and oh no…he needs a replacement :laughing:

2 Likes

Ysolda Teagues patterns are mostly gender neutral - the Gullane tank would look good in silk!

Lots of her patterns have many options for chest shaping and they’re all wonderfully tailored too !

1 Like

The colour and its being silk made me think of an opera scarf (if that’s the right name) from the 1920s. I think they were often knitted in moss stitch (or herringbone?) and worn with a tuxedo. Not that you have to wear it that way now.

My search skills are failing me and I can’t find an example of what I mean to link to.

I don’t know whether this would be a good use of 300g though.

I do wonder whether a beanie might stretch or flop in silk.

Lovely cardigan!

2 Likes

I know the sort you mean, I always thought they were solid silk (silk fabric) I do have a few I did also think of that aswell. As for the beanie you are right, however I would knit it in full ribbing on a 2.5mm or even 2.7mm needle, really small and tight to give it structure to aid with…the flop haha! I could also knit it double stranded…I’ve yet to test both to see if it would even fully work

1 Like

Yes, you are right that those scarves were usually silk fabric (woven). But I have seen patterns to knit them dating back to that time. Unfortunately I can’t find a link to one today.

A silk beanie would be lovely and warm, as well as luxurious.

Happy knitting whatever you decide!

1 Like

Ahh of course!! I’d imagine they could be a lace knit, I’d love to see one…I’ll do some digging and if I find an image I’ll post it here.

It would. I have a pure wool deep maroon winter coat which the silk and ivory colour would be so lovely together. I may keep some back to hold together with another yarn if I ever find the right yarn to go with it…or I could knit a jumper and dye it…hmmm many choices

Not a vintage pattern, but you mentioned lace and opera scarf…

2 Likes

That’s really lovely…that’s what I was thinking it might be. I adore lace work…it’s in the back of my mind of how I can turn that into my style…I think I’ve yet to come across the right design

3 Likes

Try a shawl

1 Like