What To Do With Left-Over Sock Yarn?

I finished knitting up my 2nd pair of socks and still have at least half a skein left over. They were lettuce edge socks, which means I didn’t have much “leg” to do, cutting down on the amount of yarn used.

However, I really don’t want to make up another pair of socks with this.

What do you suggest?

Here’s a picture of the socks I just finished knitting:

You could make little wrist warmers. Or…hmmm…yeah, if you find a project for it, could you let me know, too? :teehee:

I say put it aside, then wait until you have other sock yarns and make a Log Cabin blanket a la Mason Dixon. Wendy Johnson is also doing one on her blog, albeit slowly.

Cute socks, btw. Nice work!

What was the pattern for the lettuce-edge socks? I’m looking for a “short sock” pattern (a little more than anklet socks, but not halfway up my calf socks either).

I save my extra sock yarns and use them for contrasting toes and heels on some socks. Sometimes I start the cuff in a diiferent colot for about an inch.

Oh, that’s a GREAT idea! Especially since I seem to be in “sock mode” right now. AND I have that book already! Thanks!

The pattern is in the sock “pamphlet” titled “Knit Socks Whatever the Yarn!.” I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. It’s good because each pattern is written for three yarn weights: Fingering, Sport, and Worsted.

I use them as “Life Lines” since they are nice and thin for other projects, or you can savem to make baby booties =)

I love your socks.

Hmmm…since my children are teens, I’m thinking that it’s going to be AWHILE until I can do this! All of my friends have older children as well.

BUT, it is a good idea!

Those are CUTE!

I cant wait to finish DHs scarf so I can start socks!

tons of possobilities here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Christmas tree ornaments? Easter eggs? Flowers for embellishment on other projects? Finger puppets? Or you could take, say, gloves or Knucks and knit the fingers in different colors.

I use all of my yarn scraps (and my friends’ yarn scraps! Otherwise they just throw them out or keep them in a drawer for years) for making funky stocking caps.

A small amount of yarn is also good for making a small change purse

Or, if you’re still on a sock kick, make a nice pair of socks for a dear stuffed animal. My stuffed moose have many knitted accessories made of scrap yarn.

-Rebeca

I was looking at the yarn on Knit picks the other day, and clicked on the small add ( bottom right ) that said “sock yarn”. If I´m not mistaken, there was a pattern there somewhere for a kids cardigan made up of various types of sock yarn. Sounded like a neat idea! Karen

Hmmm…I’ll have to check it out!

I just went to try to find the pattern and can´t. But I´ll try again tomorrow. I just googled "patterns using leftover sock yarn, and came up with quite a few entries. Y´all might want to try it. Karen

here is a link for kids sweaters using sock yarn. I don`t think this was the site I had seen, but it might give someone an idea on what to use left-over sock yarn on.

Simply Sock Yarn Patterns

( BTW, I saw the “Devan” pattern online just today on the knitty … )
Karen

Cute sweaters!

Here’s a cute headband.

Here’s a link for ankle socks with pompoms. It looks like it wouldn’t require much yarn.

Or, if you’re still on a sock kick, make a nice pair of socks for a dear stuffed animal. My stuffed moose have many knitted accessories made of scrap yarn.

Hey, I knitted socks and scarves for my wooden, jointed, Bali kitties. I put them on in the fall and take them off in the spring. They sit on a shelf. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I use leftover yarn for contrasting toes and heels and also for doll clothes for my daughters. Lots of ideas. :figureditout: