What stitch?

Hi,

I’m just a beginner in the art of knitting and wanted to ask for your advice. I have a super bulky, very soft, fuzzy yarn that I want to make a blanket with. I’m using 10 mm needles. I don’t have a pattern, I’m basically making a large rectangle :slight_smile: I was wondering, what stitch should I use? What stitch would be nicest for a fuzzy, warm, comforting blanky for Canada’s cold winters? I want this to be a very snuggly, cuddly blanket :heart:

:thinking: Fuzzy, bulky yarn will make a comfy blanket any way you knit it. What do you want it to look like?

If you use anything too fancy in the way of stitches, you will lose them in the fuzziness of the yarn. The easiest afghan to make IMO is the diagonal knit one. Basically the same pattern as the grandmother’s favourite dishcloth. Keep increasing until you’ve used a little less than half your yarn, and then start decreasing. If you need more detailed instructions, just holler!!!

If I did it in stockinette, would it curl? Even considering the big size?

I’ll check it out :slight_smile: Thanks.

It probably would, at least to some degree. In my experience, the finer the yarn, and the tighter the stitches, the more the stockinette will curl. There are several methods you can use to minimize this through border stitches.

That’s true. If you put a garter or seed stitch border on the blanket, you won’t get any curling. But a blanket worth of stockinette stitch will be a boring thing to knit, indeed. What about blocks of knit/purl? Or better yet, look through these to get some ideas. You wouldn’t have to use the yarns indicated, but you can get a look at some patterning of the stitches that you might like.