What it Means to K3, P1 rib for 6 Rows, and More

I’m extremely new to knitting- I just started learning a few nights ago. I decided for my first project to be this hat: http://www.knittingninja.com/?page_id=138 . I have all the supplies I need, just not the experience or know-how.

My first question is regarding “K3, P1 rib for 6 Rows”. Does this mean for each line of stitches I work on the needle, I knit 3 stitches, then purl 1 stitch, and repeat till the end of the row? And, what exactly [I]is[/I] a row? Are my ribs made simply by the k3 p1?

Yes you will k3 p1 to the end of row, then you will turn your needles and do next row…which will be row 2, then again for 4 more rows…hope this helps…

It certainly does. Thanks!

You are knitting in the round. When you join your stitches after casting on-that point will be the end of your first round, you will k3,p1 around to that point for 6 rounds then you begin knitting every stitch until the pattern says otherwise.

The next part of the patten states: "Row 1: k(6), k2tog around.

Row 2: K across.

Repeat last two rows, subtracting the number in brackets by 1 each time. K5, k4, and so on, until you have 16 sts remaining."

Does that mean that I knit 6, then k2tog for a row, then knit a whole row, then knit 5 and k2tog for the rest of the row, and so on? Thanks in advance!

That’s right.

Okay, last questions about this, I promise!
For the pointy teeth part, it says

Sl 1 wyif, k1, sl 1 wyif, p1, sl 1 wyif, k1, sl1 wyif.

When I “Sl1 wyif”, am I transferring the loop to the other needle with my working yarn facing me, or am I letting the stitch slide off the needle?

For the next row, it says

K1, sl 1 wyif, sl 1, k2tog, psso, sl 1 wyif, k1.

After I slip 1 (what exactly does that mean?) and then k2tog, do I bring it over the knit like in a CO?

And finally, for the next row it says

P2tog, p1, ssp

I think I mainly need to know what exactly I’m doing when I slip. Thanks so much in advance!

It literally means… slip 1 stitch with yarn in front. So yes, your yarn is in front of your work as if you were about to purl.

For the next row, it says

K1, sl 1 wyif, sl 1, k2tog, psso, sl 1 wyif, k1.

After I slip 1 (what exactly does that mean?) and then k2tog, do I bring it over the knit like in a CO?

For this row, you knit 1, slip 1 (with yarn in front), slip 1 (I’m assuming regular with yarn in back as it doesn’t specify), knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over, slip 1 (with yarn in front), knit 1.

So, you’re going to slip the regular one and then knit 2 together. Then you’re going to move the slipped stich over the stitch you just made when knitting the 2 together. To do this, use the tip of the left needle and scoop up the slipped stitch and move it over the stitch to it’s immediate left.

And finally, for the next row it says

P2tog, p1, ssp

I think I mainly need to know what exactly I’m doing when I slip. Thanks so much in advance!

When you slip a stitch, you’re just moving it from the left needle to the right. Unless it says otherwise, you want to slip it like you were going to purl it. This way, the stitch doesn’t end up twisted. Your yarn is going to stay either in the back or the front depending on whether or not you were knitting or purling…unless it specifically says to have the yarn in front or back.

When you sl1 wyif, you’re just transferring the stitch from one needle to the other, with the yarn in front as if you were purling. Slip it as if to purl so it doesn’t twist.

For the slip 1, k2tog, psso, slip the first stitch as if to knit, k2tog, and then lift the slipped stitch over and off the needle tip like a bind off.

For the ssp, I’m guessing it’s slip, slip purl. I’ve done ssk, but haven’t done ssp. I’m sure it’s similar, but you probably slip the stitches as you would purl through the back loop, one at a time, and then insert your left needle into the back to that the right tip is in the front and then purl the two together.

For ssp, I think you slip the sts as if you were going to knit them; if you slip as if to purl there wouldn’t be any difference than p2tog.