What is this pattern called?

Hi I’ve just started knitting and I’m trying to figure out what is the pattern of the scarf in this picture called? Can anyone tell? And if there are any tutorials for making it? Thanks

Sort of looks like a seed stitch (?), also known as a moss stitch. Not sure though :confused:

Here’s how you do it:

That was I thought too. It is done with real fine yarn on small needles.

Small needles? What size do u recommend?

If you want the small stitch look- try fingering weight (sock yarn) and do a few swatches using needle size 1,2 and 3. This scarf will take a while to finish with a finer yarn and smaller needles but if you like the look and it is calling to you - go for it!

I’m still new to knitting so i don’t know much about types and yarn and such. I looked everywhere for the design scarf but cannot find it so I’ve decided to make it myself. =) I’ve started doing the seed stitch on takumi 6, 4.25 mm needles. But when you say finer yarn should it be thinner? The other picture is mercerized cotton yarn. Would that work better? And the red needles i think are size U.S 2. These are all i have for now, which needles/yarn should i use if i want the best and closest to the picture?

I’m still new to knitting so i don’t know much about types and yarn and such. I looked everywhere for the design scarf but cannot find it so I’ve decided to make it myself. =) I’ve started doing the seed stitch with (i think) wool yarn on takumi 6, 4.25 mm needles. But when you say finer yarn should it be thinner? The other picture is mercerized cotton yarn. Would that work better? And the red needles i think are size U.S 2. These are all i have for now, which needles/yarn should i use if i want the best and closest to the picture?

I don’t have any idea what fabric the yarn is in the pictured scarf. But what ever you use you will want it to end up soft, not too stiff, so it will have some drape. As Freja said fingering weight or sock yarn, which are both fine (thin) yarns would be the closest to the picture. The yarns that you have, do they say on the skein how many stitches they are likely to work up to in 4 inches, or one inch? The yarn that has the most stitches per inch or per 4 inches would be the thinnest. The fiber doesn’t matter so much, but how you like what you are coming up with does. Some cottons are not very soft, and can tend to be stiff, but I think good quality mercerized cotton can be soft.

What you are coming up with in the picture is nice looking seed stitch. It is probably heavier (thicker) than the picture but it looks nice. Sometimes with scarves you knit to a little looser gauge than recommended for the yarn so that it will be soft and drapey. You may not be able to tell how much drape you have until you get a little more done.

Everyone knits differently, but you probably won’t want to use a smaller needle than is recommended for the yarn (the skein may have a suggested needle size). If the red cotton you have and the red needles seem to be a reasonable match based on the information on the skein, you might try making a sample using them and see what you get. Mercerized cotton tells us what fiber it is but not how thin the yarn is. If the skein recommends a much bigger needle than the 2s it would probably be too thick to use with the little needles. It would make a stiff product. If it is close you could try it and see.

To get the closest thing to the picture you will want the thinnest yarn you can lay your hands to, something soft, and then knit on the smallest needles you can use that will not give a stiff fabric. No one can say for sure what exact size needles to use, it depends on your own knitting and the yarn you use.

Seed stitch is a nice stitch for a scarf. You won’t need any complicated directions, just cast on enough to make it as wide as you’d like and do the seed stitch (without any need for any border stitches or anything) until you have it as long as you want it.

The seed stitch in the top picture looks fine, though if the yarn is a worsted, the size 6 needles might be too small. As Merigold posted, you don’t want it to be really stiff, that’s what happens when you use needles too small for the yarn. Unless you’re knitting socks, then they should be knit very densely.

Your top picture looks great!

I like to use merino wool or alpaca for around my neck, just because they are super soft.
I usually use mercerized cotton for things like summer tanks and the left overs for dish cloths.
Have fun with your scarf.
Remember, a swatch is your friend.

What exactly is “worsted yarn” the thinnest yarn i have would be the mercerized cotton. On the label it says, 24 sts = 10 cm (4") on 4.00 mm (U.S. 6) needles

Then you have a DK (double knit) weight and the needle you’re using is fine with it.