What is this kind of knit?

Hi Everyone,

I noticed that today someone I know was wearing a sweater that had a very interesting zig zag look to it. The collar and wrists were regularly ribbed, but I’m not sure what the rest of it was! I have attached a (rather grainy) photo, and I was wondering if someone could tell me if that is something that can be knit by hand.


Welcome to the forum!
Any chance you could post a clearer photo? It’s really difficult to see stitch definition on the one posted.

Your description of the zig-zag might be the herringbone stitch which is difficult to do because of the loose tension required but is gorgeous.

Thanks I think it is herringbone! I’m still pretty new to knitting so I’m not great at identifying different knits. Maybe some day I can accomplish a sweater!:woohoo: