I am new to knitting and after some practice I decided to make a lace scarf. After the 1st 2 rows I’m stuck.
/It’s the Madeira Cascade Kid Merino Lace Scarf/
CO: 45 st very loosely - OK this i did
ROW 1: (right side): Knit - OK this is fine too
ROW 2: (and all wrong-side rows): Purl - OK, I got this also
ROW 3: K2, *k1, yo, k8, (sl1, k2tog, psso), k8, yo; repeat from *, end k3
ROW 5: K2, *k2, yo, k7, (sl1, k2tog, psso) k7, yo, k1; repeat from *, end k3
The problem starts from Row 3. I do the K2, k1, yo, k8, (sl1, k2tog, psso) k8, yo ------ BUT then it says repeat from * (which is right before the k1 (*k1 like so)
I assumed that repeat from * means I repeat the whole row from *k1, yo, k8, (sl1, k2tog, psso), k8, yo…so I did… only to realize that it will need over 45 stitches! AND THERE ARE ONLY 45 TO BEGIN WITH!!
PLEASE, HELP ME, TELL ME WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
- What does * mean? Do I only repeat what is right after *? Like *k1 - so i knit one? Or do I repeat the whole thing after * to the end??
- What are the () for? I am not sure what to make of those! If I just knit whatever is in there and go on what is the purpose of them?
- Also, why is the 1st stitch in ROW 3 with a capital K - K2??? Does that mean something other than knit 2?
- One more thing: the pattern leaves out all the even rows…but I realize it says at ROW 2: all wrong-side rows:Purl … so do i Purl all even rows then??
- At ROW 19 the pattern gets even more complicated!: K2, *[k1, yo, (sl1, k2tog, psso), yo] 5 times; repeat from *, end k3. What are these  used for? What do they mean?
I appreciate your help, hope it wasn’t confusing to read