What does yfwd, yrn mean?

I figured out the yfwd part, but I am not sure what yrn (yarn) means. Am I suppose to knit the next stitch?


These are both terms for yarnovers. Between 2 knit sts, if you knit 1, bring the yarn to the front, then knit the next st (or something like that, k2tog or ssk), you get a yo. Between 2 purls, if you purl 1, wrap the yarn around the needle and back to purl the next st, you still get a YO.

OK - now I’m confused because the pattern also has yon in it, here is what the pattern is - k2tog, yfwd, yrn, p11, yon, k2tog. Are “yfwd, yrn” and “yon” basically the same thing?

Are “yfwd, yrn” and “yon” basically the same thing?

Yes and no. I depends on the st before and after each (moving the yarn btwn a K and K, a K and P, a P and K, etc.) They’re the terms used to get the yarn from one side (RS or WS) to the other to work the next st and sometimes to create a new st.

All spelled out here

They are similar - yon means yarn over needle and is also a yo between a purl and knit st. Purl 1, place the yarn over the top of the needle to the back and you’re ready for a knit st.

What I was trying to explain is that basically, when you see one of these terms, just do a YO. They’re british abbreviations and when they are used between the different stitches, tell you how to move the yarn, but that’s maybe too much information. They all mean YO.