What does "yfwd" mean?

In this pattern for dishcloths, it says “K1, yfwd, K1 all in st”. And I’m not sure what that means. Is the same thing as a yarn over???

Here’s the pattern for a knit dishcloth from Lily’s website:


The part I’m refering to is the first line:

“Dishcloth with Eyelets”

Thanks for your help!!!

It will essentially turn into a yarn over. What it stands for is “yarn forward”. It means that you are going to move the yarn from the back of the work to the front of the work between the needles as if you were getting ready to purl. What will end up happening then is with the yarn in front, when you put the needle in and then wrap to make the following knit, it will create a yo. Don’t assume that a yfwd is a yo though, because there will be times when you yfwd and then slip stitches.

In this case it is a YO - knit into a stitch, leave it on the L needle, wrap the yarn around and knit into it again.

Thanks VERY much!!!

Do they WANT to make it sound harder than it actually is?? Just wondering why they didn’t use “yo” and make things so much simpler?!!?

The world may never know!

Because yf, yrn and yon are Britsh knitting terms which describe what you do with the yarn between specific sts and the US term of YO describes the result.