What does "work 3 rows even in stockinette" mean?

I am a newbie knitter and I’m making these Baby Bell Bottom Pants in the smallest size and I’m confused. After the increase row of the first leg, it says to work 3 (3, 5, 5, 7) rows even in stockinette stitch.

Well, these aren’t even numbers so how can you work 3 even rows? I’m sure this is so simple and I’m making it difficult by thinking too hard. :slight_smile: Correct me if I’m wrong, but stockinette is simply knit 1 row, purl 1 row, right? That would mean k1 row, p1 row, k last row, right? Does 1 k row and 1 p row make one row together?

I just want to be sure I’ve got it right before proceeding any further. This is my second knitting project, my first being a very simple baby hat. TIA for your help!

Amy
~A Joyful Mommy~

You’re doing three rows, so yes, you would knit 1 row, purl 1 row, knit 1 row. (Assuming you’re doing it flat, i.e. back and forth rather than circular.) The “even” just means you aren’t increasing and aren’t decreasing for those three rows.

Thank you so much. This is what I thought, but I just wanted to be double sure. I am knitting them on circular needles but the work is flat until I begin the upper portion. :yay:

:slight_smile: Have fun with it!