What does work 1 rnd, dec (evenly spaced): 10 sts. mean?

i am trying to follow the hat pattern in “the knitter’s handy book of patterns” by ann budd…

what does work 1 rnd, dec (evenly spaced): 10 sts. mean?

there should remain 64, but what do i need to do to get there? how does the above translate to *K?,K2tog;rep from *?

thanks!

It won’t be exactly even, but to if you’re starting with 74, you can k5, k2tog 10 times. That will leave 4 stitches, but you can just leave them at the end. I don’t think it’ll make much difference.

so what i need to do to is:

work (knit) piece until 4 1/2 inches
*k5, k2tog; rep from *
*k2, k2tog; rep from *
work (knit) one round
*k1, k2tog; rep from * - will 32 stitches remain?
work (knit) one round
*k2tog; rep from * 3 times - will 4 stitches remain?

is this correct? :thinking: thanks!

To dec evenly spaced means to place decreases along the row spaced out so they aren’t all bunched up at one end or in the middle. I’m not sure what the rest of what you wrote is

so what i need to do to is:

work (knit) piece until 4 1/2 inches
*k5, k2tog; rep from *
*k2, k2tog; rep from *
work (knit) one round
*k1, k2tog; rep from * - will 32 stitches remain?
work (knit) one round
*k2tog; rep from * 3 times - will 4 stitches remain?

unless it’s further instructions to decrease…

sue[/quote]

i’m trying to follow the rest of the decreases and am wondering if i *k5, k2tog; rep from * do i get from 74 to 64 stitches? then when i *k1, k2tog; rep from * - will 32 stitches remain? and *k2tog; rep from * 3 times - will 4 stitches remain?

if *k5, k2tog; rep from * does not get me from 74 to 64 stitches evenly, what does? the first decrease instructions are work 1 rnd, dec (evenly spaced): 10 sts. and it is supposed to get me from 74 to 64 stitches… :?

thanks!

You can’t get a perfectly even decrease from 74 to 64. What I’d suggest you do is to decrease down to 70 on a round, then you can work your decreases evenly.

If you start with 70, there are two ways to decrease evenly, depending on how rapidly you want the hat to decrease.

For a more gradual decrease:

k8, k2tog all the way around
knit one round
k7, k2tog, all the way
knit one round
k6, k2tog
knit
k5, k2tog
knit
k4, k2tog

continue this way until you have just a few stitches left and fasten off.

A more rapid decrease is to start with

k5, k2tog all the way around
knit
k4, k2tog all the way around
knit

etc.

thanks Ingrid! will try…

:thumbsup:

If she’s supposed to decrease 10 stitches in one row to get from 74 to 64, then yeah, she’d need to do that - k5, k2tog. It ain’t perfect, but it would do.

So then if you’re going from 64 to 32 in one row, you’d actually need to k2tog all the way across with no k1 between the decreases.

Unless you’re not talking about decreasing that many on one single row but over several rows…?

sue

It is a bit confusing, so I just gave general decreasing directions. If you want a faster decrease, then you can do so.

Basically, you knit the round or row, but you evenly distribute the 10 decreases in the round