What does WF mean?

I think I’m going to try this pattern for my next project, a blanket for my mom (hopefully finish by Mother’s Day/her birthday):

http://www.mycraftbook.com/craftidea.asp?craftID=7

However, it has WF for an abbreviation. Pattern Row: K1, K2 together, K6, WF K1, WF K6, K2 together twice, K6, WF K1, WF K6, K2 together, K1) I don’t know why there is a ) at the end either. It’s like they forgot the first one.

It says it’s an intermediate level. I’ve only done a few projects so I’m still a newbie, but it really doesn’t look that hard to me, except for that WF :slight_smile: If it only had a closeup picture of the project it may help too!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Kelly

Wool (Yarn) Forward, probably, but I’m not 100% sure. Same as yarn over, I think. If I’m right, there’s a video here for that. It would put eyelets in that row.

I don’t see that abbreviation here in the forum list or my Knitter’s Bible.

Don’t quote me on this, but it looks to me like maybe it means to “wrap the yarn forward” or in other words “yarn over.” With each WF there is a K2 together so you wouldn’t be increasing, but would be leaving eyelets. Does the pattern have eyelets or a lacy look across those rows?

:thinking:

I have quite a few patterns that use English/European terminology, and generally WF means wool forward. If there isn’t an explanation of the abbreviation on the pattern, that’s what I would do.

Wool forward or yarn forward is not the same as YO. Did a search and learned that from KH last night. I’m working on a dishcloth that calls for YF and YB. It means bring the yarn forward if it’s in the back from making a knit stitch or vise versa…bring the yarn to the back if it’s already forward from making a purl stitch. Couldn’t believe how dense I was to bee stuck on something that really is so simple. :doh: :lol:

Thank you! That makes so much sense. I was getting worried about decreasing stitches too. I’ve done the K2 together so that was fine and I’ve done a YO, but I looked all over for WF and couldn’t find it. Now, yarn forward makes it much easier to find. She does refer to the yarn as wool later on, so I’m going to go with that explanation!

Thanks again!
Kelly