What are you reading?

except for Harry Potter, that is. :wink:

I’m nearly finished with On Beauty, by Zadie Smith. meh. I’ve been mostly bored with it throughout, but I rarely don’t finish books that I begin, and I remain hopeful until the last page.

After that, I have Chris Moore’s You Suck, A Love Story waiting. We got it signed by the author at a bookstore appearance months ago, and my beloved is pushing me to READ IT so that we can talk about it. It’s a sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends. If you’ve never read Chris, oh, please do. All of his books are a laugh fest, some pull laughter from me on every page.

“Snowflower and the Secret Fan” by Lisa See.

A wonderful story, based on Chinese foot binding and the ties among women. I loved it.

I just finished Alice Hoffman’s Skylight Confessions and am now reading another of her books, The Ice Queen.

I am a big fan of hers. I can’t say I’ve read all of her books but many of them.

I liked Skylight Confessions better than I’m liking the Ice Queen but I do like it.

I haven’t read a lot in a long time. And yes, I read the last Harry Potter.

If you haven’t read any of Ann Patchett’s novels, you might like those. I liked the Magician’s Aprentice and loved Bel Canto.

Happy reading!

Susan

I’ve been wanting to read Ann Pachett’s books. My to-be-read pile is quite big.

Right now, I’m reading The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown. It’s ok; a fairly easy read (very conversational). There are some TMI moments, which I really could have done without.

Next is the new Khalid Hosseni novel. I’m drawing a blank on the title right now. A Thousand Splendid Suns or something like that. I got both of the books at the library, and there’s a huge waiting list, so I only get 2 wks to read them.

After seeing recently for the first time the WONDERFUL movie “The Phantom Of the Opera” starring handsome Gerard Butler…I 've been reading sequels to the movie. Amazon has a lot of books and I have read three so far and have two more ordered.

So far they are all good…but none have the Phantom ending up with Christine which I WANT to happen.:tap:

If you want to see a wonderful, sad and romantic movie check it out…wow!!!:woohoo:

Reading “Lean Mean Thirteen”, by Janet Evanovich. I love this series!
Jackie

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie. Each year I generally re-read her works at some stage.

What is a TMI moment? True meaningful incidents? :slight_smile:

TMI=Too Much Information: disclosures of a personal nature which make the listener/reader want to scrub their brains with a bristle brush

:wink:

I’m reading “The Other Boleyn Girl” by Philippa Gregory. I’ve never read historical fiction before, and I absolutely LOVE this book so far!! :cheering:

I am reading Southern Storm… by Blackwell. It is #2 in the Cape Refuge series~

Sara… Ahhh… thanks…yes…I have that reaction myself often with that sort of thing. You wish the info wasn’t in your brain cells!!

All of my reading revolves around school books.

I’m currently reading a book for one of my history classes that starts next week. The title is [U]The Glorious Cause, The American Revolution, 1763-1789[/U], by Robert Middlekauff. It’s a very thick book, and I wanted to get a jump start. It’s very detail oriented, but it’s good.

I just finished reading [U]Founding Brothers, The Revolutionary Generation[/U], by Joseph Ellis. This book is required reading in the same history class. This book was AWESOME! It only took me a couple of days to read it.

I’ve got an Anne Lamott book waiting for me. A $1 find Mona Simpson Off keck Road, Sarah Vowell Take the Cannoli, and I think some Elizabeth Berg will be coming with me on the airplane to Massachusetts next week. I keep some Pema Chodron and Thich nhat Hanh by my bed to read at night to fortify. But most of the time I’m reading stuff for school, scholarly works, really boring.

I could use something fun to read. I have been mostly reading for work right now. Since being 8 years out of practice and now back to work in a therapy clinic that uses treatment modalities I am not familiar with…I am mostly reading Psychotherapy books. Right now I am reading Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life. It is written for the client rather than the clinician so it should be a pretty quick read… I need to write down some of these titles for a trip to the library…

Moby Dick, North River by Pete Hamill, Five Days in London May 1940 by Lukacs, just finished Missing Persons by Stephen White.

I’m #30 on the list at the library for Jodi Picoult’s [U]Nineteen Minutes[/U], down from #111 or so. :doh: Last book was HP of course, but lately it’s been mostly magazines and pattern books.

Next up will be Nineteen Minutes, Lean Mean Thirteen and um… :??

*the Yarn Harlot Cast Off book
*rereading “The First Strange Place”, which is about Hawaii during WWII
*rereading “The Knitting Way”

[I]The Outsiders[/I] by S.E. Hinton.

Just finished [I]The Pigman[/I] by Paul Zindel and [I]Harry Potter[/I] by J.K. Rowling.

I’ve been wanting to read this for a while…it sounds so interesting! I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I’ll have to pick it up soon!