What am I doing wrong with this yarn winder & swift

I have this yarn winder and swift that I (think) have been setup as instructed. But, every time, I wind a ball of yarn, I get a messy outcome. What am I doing wrong ?

Could it be that the winder and swift are too close together? I have the winder and swift on opposite ends of the table.

2 Likes

They are much too close together, for one thing. And are you running the yarn through the wire spiral? That’s what holds it in the right position for it to wind neatly.

2 Likes

I agree, they’re too close together.

1 Like

This video might be useful https://youtu.be/Z8gi4WH3hEU?si=Uz5ye6JiQk3mzpIc I have a very similar swift and winder and need to add tension.

Found this picture online. Thought it would be handy because this is about the distance I have between mine.
Swift-BW4-300x278

2 Likes

I find it works better if you hold the yarn while winding…like the lady in the picture. And yes, opposite ends of the table for the set up.

1 Like

Thank you @Erzabet, @YarnPlease, @Shintoga, @ColoCro !
My hopes are raised - will try with the swift placed at a distance and with some tension in the yarn - yes, I pass the yarn through the spiral to keep it in place.
The video from VeryPinkKnits has also been my go-to.
Thanks again ! Fingers crossed !

2 Likes

Great :slight_smile: Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

You can always count on VeryPinkKnits! Good luck!

1 Like

Here is the outcome of my attempt ! Not still perfect, but the best in a long long time - turns out that the way I assembled the winder had to be tweaked - keeping the swift at a distance gave me the same shoddy outcome - the spindle was too closely assembled (pushed into) the base, preventing it from “wobblying”. For 3/4th of the wind, it worked and then the yarn kept falling off the ball, thus creating that small portion of yarn that you see on top of the ball. I need to crack this the next time. For now, am relieved I managed to get atleast most of it into a manageable ball

3 Likes

It’s progress! I’m sure you’ll be able to follow up and achieve the yarn cake you’re aiming for. Thanks for reporting back and good luck with the next one.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, I wondered how you were getting on with it. Definite progress. A few tweaks and you’ll be winding like a pro.

1 Like

15th Project - Rubia Shawl - a test knit from #LifeisCozy (Ksenia)

Missed the deadline by several weeks, but managed to cross the finishing line with this beautiful shawl that carries several different stitches.

Sourcing the right yarn proved to be a bigger challenge than I anticipated, despite being in London at the time. Bought one, returned it. Got this one - Cascade 220 Fingering yarn. While the color is beautiful and the yarn is as soft as cotton, stitch definition is not the best with this yarn - the gorgeous pattern made up for this as it was a fun knit. The Nupp stitch kept me at the edge of my seat - I still haven’t gotten clean Nupps - whether the yarn or my technique or both, is debatable ! I should add that my difficulties with winding the yarn into a nice ball of yarn resulted in so many tangles that I spent hours untangling !

Layed it out to block and can’t wait to wear it.

Thanks a lot to Ksenia of Life is Cozy, to have invited me to the test knit and to the gurus on this kind platform for providing guidance on the winding technique.

6 Likes

Magnificent! The stitch definition and everything else about this shawl is lovely.

1 Like

Beautiful

1 Like

Thank you @salmonmac, @ZKOhio ! You are so motivating !

Wow! Gorgeous! Adding to my “I want to make this sometime, when they’ve figured out how I can live 20 years longer” list.

3 Likes

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Your photo answered my question on how to block a shawl. The foam puzzle pieces on the table is a brilliant idea.
FranV

2 Likes

This video was great! I have the umbrella part but have been reluctant to buy the other part and I’ve been winding it by hand. This looks so easy! I’ll have to get one! I just had to hand wind 7 skeins of 100 gram yarn!!! :rofl:

1 Like

:laughing: That goes for me too - with my speed, I need 40 years more. Add to it the books and shows that are offered every day, and I will need a 100 !